What's new

Participation PIF - The Mysterious KAI Blades

proxy.php

Twenty-ninth shave with the Mysterious Kai blade #2

Razor
: Fatip Lo Storto Originale (aka FOCS)
Brush: Fine Classic 20mm Angel Hair
Soap: RazoRock Blue Label

(A lot of blue stuff in that photo, including my countertop! :tongue_sm)

Both the brush/soap and razor/blade pairings were top-notch, today. The Fine Classic always makes a fine lather ;) and RR's take on the Floid Blue scent is very appealing.

The FOCS/Kai duo performed like a champ, once again. Despite some shakiness in my hand (nerve damage flareup), I enjoyed three trouble-free passes. Some minor buffing was necessary under the chin and along my right jawline, but otherwise a smooth, efficient shave.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
DE SOTD, Sat, Mar 20th 2021

Razor: Gillette reg Flare SS tip B2- Mfg 1956 2qtr, mild razor, very carefree shave with a reg blade, good results with a Kai blade.
Blade: Kai SS (9) excellent blade, wider than a standard Gillette blade by .009" thousands of inch, Sharp & smooth, with great longevity. Great blade in milder razors or a person who just wants a boost in efficentcy and aggression.
Soap: Speick- nice mild spicy mild scent with excellent lather qualities for protection. Good post shave feel.
Brush: Yaqi Red zebra handle 26mm, excellent lather generator, heavenly cloud like soft tips, nice gentle scrub + great lather painter.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock American barber with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17:Excellent shave with my reg Flare tip with a Kai SS blade.

DE SOTD, Sat, Mar20th 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

Shaves 2 and 3 on the first edge of the blade

Razor: Rockwell Model T on Setting 1.5 and 2.0
Blade: Kai
Brush: Maggard 24mm two-band badger (fan) or 27mm Omega Jade Boar 011842
Soap: Modern Williams in Marvy mug
Bowl - Timeless Lather Bowl

3 passes (WTG, XTG & ATG)
Result: DFS+ with no cuts, weepers, or irritation

Post-shave:
Alum block - Zero feedback
Dickinson's Astringent WH
AS Balm: Nivea Men Sensitive PSB

I'm working my way up the scale with the "T", 1/2 notch per day. Each shave after the first feels a little smoother in process and seems a little closer afterwards. Today (shave 3) left two fingernail sized areas, one on each side of my neck, on the underside of the back corner of my jaw where I could just perceive a little stubble when I stroked ATG. Otherwise all good.

I'm alternating 2 brushes for the lathering section.

Mysterious Kai blade #2, shave 1

Razor: Rockwell 6C, plate 1
Brush: Omega 10049 boar
Lather: Barrister & Mann 42

I got 21 shaves out of the first blade. A fine blade.

I have read that the Rockwell plate 1 doesn’t really shave close enough. I am generally quite happy with plate 3. I reasoned that with the bit wider Kai blade plate 1 might be usable.

Unless something strange and unforeseen happens that’s my last use of plate 1! It is definitely is not efficient enough for me

The Mysterious Kai blade, first shave, worked very well

If you still have a tuck available, I would appreciate being added, please. (I'll send you a DM to confirm.) I think I've figured out a good shave routine for me. 🙂

Mysterious Kai blade #2, shave 1

Razor: Rockwell 6C, plate 1
Brush: Omega 10049 boar
Lather: Barrister & Mann 42

I got 21 shaves out of the first blade. A fine blade.

I have read that the Rockwell plate 1 doesn’t really shave close enough. I am generally quite happy with plate 3. I reasoned that with the bit wider Kai blade plate 1 might be usable.

Unless something strange and unforeseen happens that’s my last use of plate 1! It is definitely is not efficient enough for me

The Mysterious Kai blade, first shave, worked very well

Love the gear you used with the Kai. But 21 shaves on a one Kai? SHH!! You'll make @Grundi jealous!

Love the gear you used with the Kai. But 21 shaves on a one Kai? SHH!! You'll make @Grundi jealous!
You are right!! I'm jealous but in a good way!! My whiskers seem to wear out blades faster than normal. I am absolutely amazed by the number of shaves several have been able to get out of these blades!!

PS. You are most welcome to participate and post your experiences with these Mysterious KAI Blades!!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Well @Grundi : FarmerTan here, reporting on yesterday's shave.

Over a week's worth of growth. (This Covid garbage has spared my lungs, praise God, but the body pain has been terrific. ABSOLUTELY miserable at times.

I drug myself into the shower yesterday, and used the Kai blade and canned foam.

After I ran out of hot water I towelled (toweled?) off and noticed I missed huge patches of hair.

Planned to shave again today, but had a hard time holding my head that it didn't hurt, lol.

I highly recommend y'all not get this thing. One moment I feel great, the VERY NEXT MINUTE I wish I could dig a hole, crawl in it, and pull the dirt in on myself!

Stay safe friends.

Well @Grundi : FarmerTan here, reporting on yesterday's shave.

Over a week's worth of growth. (This Covid garbage has spared my lungs, praise God, but the body pain has been terrific. ABSOLUTELY miserable at times.

I drug myself into the shower yesterday, and used the Kai blade and canned foam.

After I ran out of hot water I towelled (toweled?) off and noticed I missed huge patches of hair.

Planned to shave again today, but had a hard time holding my head that it didn't hurt, lol.

I highly recommend y'all not get this thing. One moment I feel great, the VERY NEXT MINUTE I wish I could dig a hole, crawl in it, and pull the dirt in on myself!

Stay safe friends.

Damn. By all means, that doesn't sound good...
Get well soon! :thumbsup:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Damn. By all means, that doesn't sound good...
Get well soon! :thumbsup:
Thank you my friend. "This too shall pass"......lol, I'm just sad that it will pass when He decides, though I know it's for my good and His glory, I am a wuss!

I really was a phenomenal nurse, a regular legend in my own mind, and not a bad patient.....but this Covid is rough, and by ALL accounts, I have a MILD case.

It's been a humbling experience, and y'all know that a little humility could be EXACTLY what I am supposed to be learning here!

Still coveting the prayers, Dave

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
Thank you my friend. "This too shall pass"......lol, I'm just sad that it will pass when He decides, though I know it's for my good and His glory, I am a wuss!

I really was a phenomenal nurse, a regular legend in my own mind, and not a bad patient.....but this Covid is rough, and by ALL accounts, I have a MILD case.

It's been a humbling experience, and y'all know that a little humility could be EXACTLY what I am supposed to be learning here!

Get well soon Dave Covid is no joke and you can never tell how badly it will affect you, lost my own brother to it recently

You are right!! I'm jealous but in a good way!! My whiskers seem to wear out blades faster than normal. I am absolutely amazed by the number of shaves several have been able to get out of these blades!!

PS. You are most welcome to participate and post your experiences with these Mysterious KAI Blades!!
Well, you know all the posts that begin: I have a coarse beard and sensitive skin? That’s not me. My hairs are pretty thin and I’ve seldom gotten razor burn. So I’m able to push blades quite far.

proxy.php

Thirtieth shave with the Mysterious Kai blade #2

Razor
Brush: Yaqi Sagrada Familia 24mm Fan-shaped Tuxedo
Soap: RazoRock Gold Label

Pretty much the same story as the last 30 days; another great shave.

The Yaqi Sagrada Familia Tuxedo Fan/RR Gold Label combo is fantastic in every way. Not only does the brush look like a million bucks, but lather practically gushes out of this thing with barely any effort. The lovely scent of Gold Label is also worth mentioning. IB did a nice job of capturing the essence of Acqua di Parma Colonia.

Meanwhile, the FOCS/Kai pairing just keeps going and going, like the Energizer Bunny. After 30 uses, it's still providing excellent results. My usual three passes were smooth and comfortable. There was no post-shave irritation. Looking forward to the next 30 shaves! 😁

Glad to hear that you're recovering at home. Since the hospitals are at their limits with this third (or fourth) wave of COVID-19 ramping up, you gotta stay out of there if you can.

So, take care of yourself, Dave. We're all pulling for ya! 🤗

20210321_123623-01.jpeg

Razor: Merkur 15c

Blade #2 / shave #5
After yesterday's ultra close shave with the R41 GS in all honesty I did not need a shave today. But I still wanted to shave so I opted for a mild razor. After two nice passes I settled with dfs and a calm skin.
Just a minor tad of blade feel...

Onward!

Well, you know all the posts that begin: I have a coarse beard and sensitive skin? That’s not me. My hairs are pretty thin and I’ve seldom gotten razor burn. So I’m able to push blades quite far.
I have a coarse beard and sensitive skin...well, yeah, I guess it is a fairly populous group; and one of them is me.

Still praying for you, my friend; God hears and answers prayer. Keep holding to His hand; squeeze it harder during the bad times.

SHAVE NO. 15
3 days growth

Preshave: Warm shower with Kirk's unscented castile bar soap
Razor: Gillette Slim
Blade: Kai
Soap: Palmolive stick
Brush: Stirling Pro Handle Synthetic
After: Clubman Brandy Spice
IMG_0416.JPG

I decided to try out my third "new" razor with this blade---a Gillette Slim Adjustable. The first, a late forties tech, is something I had been searching for for about a year until I finally won one on ebay in suitable condition and for a price I was willing to pay. The second, a Yaqi scalloped, I had ordered many weeks in advance from Aliexpress. This third one was a spontaneous purchase from a member. This blade has the double honor of lasting the longest and being the opening shave for three different razors.

Palmolive stick worked so well last time that I used it again. This being my first time with an adjustable I set it to 4 and went to work. Nice and smooth action. A quick rinse showed a lot of stubble remaining, so up to 6 it went. The next pass and a half where much better. BBS excepting the trouble area above the Adam's apple. I can certainly see the appeal of the Slim. It was a more enjoyable shave than my techs or super speed.

I'm a fiend for apples, so when I found out that Clubman had a apple brandy scented aftershave I had to get it. It's not as pleasing to me as their Whiskey Woods or Classic Vanilla, but it is certainly going to be a repeat purchase.

Thirty-first shave with the Mysterious Kai blade #2

Razor
Brush: Yaqi Blue Marble 26mm Timber Wolf
Soap: RazoRock Santa Maria del Fiore

This may have been the best shave that I've had in the last couple of weeks.

Everything from the prep to the lather to the shave itself was fantastic. I need to remind myself to use a smaller amount of RR SMdF because even a few swirls on any of my synthetic brushes will generate enough lather for 6-7 passes. Today was no different, except that I started to daydream while loading the brush and ended up with enough lather for 10+ passes; my lather remnant mug is overflowing now!

Anyway, the lather itself was extremely rich and cushiony with extraordinary slickness. This allowed the FOCS/Kai duo to glide over my skin with ease. Before I knew it, I had completed my usual three passes. Another one of those quick, effortless "autopilot" shaves.

As has become custom, there was no post-shave irritation. My face was left feeling smooth and refreshed. The lovely scent of cologne du tabac de la Toscane lingering on my face was the perfect conclusion to the shave.

Top Bottom