What's new

Participation PIF - The Mysterious KAI Blades

What about doing a "KAI meets the Gillette Adjustables" weekend?

Saturday's shave shall take place with the Fat Boy. Sunday's shave will be dedicated to the Slim. In case you have access to both razors, use them on the same setting number (or a setting which appears to be equal on these two razors subject to your personal experience).

Who else is going to join in with the Fatboy and/or Slim?

Prepared this weekend's setup!

20210306_095700-01.jpeg

Kai Blade #5 Shave #1
Got the usual close smooth shave this A.M. with the Kai. The Tabac stick & Lupo razor did great. Got one tiny weeper but no irritation. :thumbup1:
The Lupo aluminum razor shaves fantastic for me as I have used the Lord L6 aluminum razor a lot in the past. The Lupo out shaves the L6 by a mile.

20210306_095234-01-01.jpeg

Razor: Gillette Fat Boy

Blade #1 / shave #6.
Cranked up the Fatboy on setting no. 5, which resulted to some minor bladefeel only in the wtg pass. Up to my experience the Fatboy is a tad sensitive when it comes to the proper shave angle because as soon as I adjusted the razor properly on my face and kept the angle, the bladefeel was absolutely gone in both the xtg/atg pass. Dfs+.

The blade has settled down on a sharp enough yet smooth level. According to my face-ometer it might stay on this level for another handful of shaves (maybe even some more).

We shall see.

Last edited:

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
IMG_20210306_203714.jpg

Blade#1 Shave#6

OK decided to go big tonight with the R41. I thought it was a bit of a risk, but once I got started it was fantastic. Close, comfortable and smooth this razor really brought out the best in the Kai. The Razorock XXX soap was slick and cushioney and the scent although not my favourite when I received it, it has grown on me.
Really enjoying the Kai blades and I think I'll use the R41 tomorrow too

When the blades showed up in the mail, I set one aside for my wife to try. It took a while because she doesn't change out blades before they start pulling.
Tonight I asked her if she was using the KAI blade yet. Turns out she has used it twice so far. Said that it felt very sharp and smooth. Didn't have any problems with nicks or cuts. Her normal blades are Gillette Silver Blues and the only razor she uses is a Merkur 23c.

Shave #4 (A few days ago, actually)

Razor: Gillette red tip
Brush: Omega boar
Cream: Godrej menthol

This has got to be the worst of all the 4 shaves. The moment the razor and blade touched the right side of my face it started PULLING instead of cutting. One swipe on my right sideburn area and I stopped. The discomfort was too much to bear.

I had to run back to my room to grab my 37C and Gillette Platinum blade to finish the shave.

Blade 4 #1 (I almost freaked because I couldn't find this blade....). Finally I identified the particular envelope and no letters

Just because I read here and because I happened to get a new (filthy) Gillette 195 (cleaned it for 2hrs).
Soap: attempted Speick Sport (see picture) lather was miserable and I had to just reload Fitjar!
Brush Chubby 2 (2nd use)
AS Speick Sport (probably my favorite)

Face shave: First pass at #5 smooth. 2nd pass and pickups at 7.... smooth. Minimal irritation, the shave was very close.....one thing I always admit w this blade : close shaves.

This Speick soap has been used with today 4 times (bought it new and was full). I do not bloom any soaps. I have used a synthetic brush #24 and don't over load. Dry it for 1 day and close lid tight.....see how it vanished..... Todays attempt to lather w the Chubby was a fiasco, but I am not familiar with the brush either.

IMG_2193.jpg

Sun 7th SOTD Blade#2 Shave#2
Soap
CBL Peanut Butter
Brush Yaqi 26mm Moka Express 2 Band Badger
Razor Gillette New LC
Blade KAI 2nd
Post & Aftershaves Ice Water + Thayers + Hyaluronic + Aqua Velva Musk
Soap lather quality is just ok with enough slickness but not much of a scent. Some light aroma...not sure if it's peanut...
Shave with razor paired with the blade was good. Reasonably smooth for 3passes for a surprisingly good bbs to dfs results against 1 weeper. The challenging atg pass on the chin and lips area was crisp and smooth.
20210307_102233.jpg

Sixteenth shave with the Mysterious Kai blade #2

Razor
: Fatip Lo Storto Originale (aka FOCS)
Brush: Omega 10005 Boar
Soap: RazoRock Green Label

Another great performance from all aspects of today's shave.

The Omega 10005/RR Green Label pairing is an excellent match. A few swirls of soap resulted in enough rich, slick lather for five passes and this brush just feels so good on the face.

With such a fine start to my shave, the FOCS and Kai had a lot to live up to. But, as expected, this razor/blade duo didn't disappoint. All three of my usual passes were smooth and trouble-free.

Sixteen shaves later, I'm still very impressed by the consistency of this blade. Since the first use, the performance has barely wavered. I'm filled with confidence every time I load this blade in the FOCS because I know that a close, comfortable shave is only a few strokes away!

Third shave with Mysterious Kai Blade #2

Razor -
Timeless .95 Titanium OC / Scalloped Top Cap
Blade - Kai Stainless Steel (3)
Brush - Yaqi “Butterscotch” with 26mm Silk Smoke (Fan / Flat Top Hybrid)
Bowl - Timeless Lather Bowl
Lather - Barrister and Mann Ravish
Aftershave - Barrister and Mann Ravish Aftershave Splash
- Proraso Sensitive (White) Aftershave Balm
Fragrance - Barrister and Mann Ravish Eau de Toilette

3 Passes (WTG, XTG & ATG)

+ BBS
+ No cuts, irritation, redness or bumps / ingrowns
+ Almost no feedback with alum, minor
- Some tugging on ATG still on goatee, chin and lip. Not as bad this time as the previous shave as I made sure to go both directions on the XTG pass to really make sure there was barely any stubble left for the ATG pass (good thing I had a really slick lather)
- One weeper on lip, went away with the alum

Fantastic shave, this second blade is much better then the first. I think the sharpness of this blade is just below where I need it for the coarseness of my beard but I’m figuring out how to make it work well.

Mysterious Kai blade 2, edge 2, shave 1. Souplex Bakelite razor, Art of Shaving Lavender soap, Homemade boar (24mm)

I picked up this razor as part of a vanity set for £5 delivered. I've seen some love for Souplex on this forum, but I've yet to 'click' with it. I did wonder if a change of blade would help, and whether the Mysterious Kai as the most 'different' blade I possess would do the trick.

It didn't really help. For me, the Souplex has the worst of all worlds, being relatively inefficient whilst also being scary despite quite a narow blade gap.

The scariness did force me to slow down and take my time, so I did end up with quite a nice shave overall. No complaints on that front, but I might just dig out another razor before my next shave.

20210307_105348-01.jpeg

Razor: Gillette Slim

Blade #1 / Shave #7.
If I had to compare today's shave (Slim) with yesterday's shave (Fatboy) in terms of the blade feel, the verdict would be clear: overall, the shave with the Fatboy was more enjoyable. Quite a surprise.
This being said the blade feel with the Slim (wtg, xtg) today was not a deal breaker. FWIW, I don't mind some blade feel since I am used to shave with the R41...

Far more important, the result with the Slim was a close shave, BBS in three passes (and some touch ups of the trouble spots).

I'm going to extend the "KAI meets the Gillette Adjustables " with another meeting - the designated candidate for Monday is my Black Beauty.

SHAVE NO. 9
3 days growth

Preshave: Warm shower with Palmolive bath bar
Razor: SLOC
Blade: Kai
Soap: Stirling Sharp Dressed Man
Brush: Stirling Pro Handle Synthetic
After: Stirling Sharp Dressed Man splash

The SLOC gave a smoother shave than the previously used super speed. This pairing means the blade is no longer in "toss" territory. It was definitely a little harder to cut than new, but a smooth, comfortable shave was easily produced. The usual 2 1/2 passes with no problems. The SLOC and KCG show more of an advantage than milder razors with this blade.

Kai 1, shave 12, second pass and clean up

Wunderbar head, Mühle handle, Cella

66F88D5A-14E4-472B-A193-F8AC11D2C97D.jpeg

Experiment on the worst neck maelstrom:
extreme manual skin stretching + extreme cap riding + enough pressure to sink the blade edge down to stubble level + just a few strokes = BBS + zero irritation

Amazing!

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
IMG_20210307_194312.jpg

Blade#1 Shave#7

After yesterday's great shave with the R41 I decided to go with it again today. Having only received it in late January I have not had a chance to use it much. I think after my Kai PIF I will have to spend a week or two using it exclusively to get a good feel for it. Today's soap was TOBS coconut lathered with the Yaqi lucky dice, not as cushioney as last night's Razorock XXX, but still enjoyable. The blade is still sharp , though there has been a slight drop in sharpness. I think it is time to go for broke tomorrow with the Yaqi slant.

Gillette RFB
Mysterious Kai Blade (1)
Grooming Dept Mumtaz
View attachment 1233135
Excellent performances all around today!
Gillette RFB
Mysterious Kai Blade (2)
Grooming Dept Mumtaz
What a shave, Kai blades are amazing and everything works. I like that they're smooth and very effective. I tried a Perma-Sharp in this razor with good results, but the Kai brings this razor alive and makes it even more efficient while maintaining smoothness throughout the shave. Pleasantly surprised how good Kai blades are!

Fatip FOCS
Kai #2
SV
RR 2band
Witch medicated
Speick AS

2+ pass shave. Some blade feel, some irritation visible and also felt burning on one side of the neck; no blood.
Yesterdays Fatboy was unbeaten. Focs end result was OK, but the Fatty was smoother. I may venture to the assured.....Shave is efficient as usual, now the variable is irritation for me..... and so far the 195 on 5-7 is the champion. Not sure what I will try next: RR Lupo 70 vs Karve cc "c".

Last edited:
Seventeenth shave with the Mysterious Kai blade #2

Razor
: Fatip Lo Storto Originale (aka FOCS)
Brush: Yaqi Aqua 24mm Tuxedo
Soap: RazoRock Blue Label

I probably sound like a broken record, but I had yet another smooth, trouble-free shave with the FOCS/Kai pairing. That's 17 in a row with nary a tug or nick.

I usually don't gush about a blade's performance, but I've been very impressed by this second Kai. The first blade was a major disappointment, so my expectations were extremely low. However, this second blade has been a completely different experience. Not only is it smoother and more consistent, but it has lasted twice as long with no obvious signs of dulling.

I guess the hype about Kai quality is real! Maybe I shouldn't be surprised. After all, Kai makes Shun kitchen knives which are world-renowned. Therefore, I doubt that they would skimp on the other cutting tools in their catalog.

Top Bottom