What's new

Participation PIF - The Mysterious KAI Blades

Eleventh shave with the Mysterious Kai blade #2

Razor
: Fatip Lo Storto Originale (aka FOCS)
Brush: Yaqi Purple 24mm Mink
Soap: RazoRock Blue Label

Excellent performances, all around, today.

Once again, the FOCS/Kai duo provided a trouble-free shave. If there was any roughness, then it was completely masked by the lovely lather generated by the Yaqi Mink. After three effortless passes, I was left with a surprisingly smooth and refreshed face.

Amazingly, this blade seems to be getting better over time. I'm starting to wonder if my joking suggestion that dull blades can be honed by running them over your skin (AKA "face-stropping") might actually be a thing! 🤪

Kai Blade #4 Shave #4
The Kai blade came alive in my Lupo Razor that came this A.M. The Lupo gave me an excellent smooth close shave even better than the Merkur Futur Razor.! :w00t:
No nicks or irritation noted. :thumbup1:
Weapons used: Razorock Lupo Razor 🐺 & Arko soap.
I wish I knew the blade gap on the Lupo Aluminum razor but, I can't find any info on it at all.

Eleventh shave with the Mysterious Kai blade #2

Razor
Brush: Yaqi Purple 24mm Mink
Soap: RazoRock Blue Label

Excellent performances, all around, today.

Once again, the FOCS/Kai duo provided a trouble-free shave. If there was any roughness, then it was completely masked by the lovely lather generated by the Yaqi Mink. After three effortless passes, I was left with a surprisingly smooth and refreshed face.

Amazingly, this blade seems to be getting better over time. I'm starting to wonder if my joking suggestion that dull blades can be honed by running them over your skin (AKA "face-stropping") might actually be a thing! 🤪
I'm loving that you (and others) are getting so many shaves from these blades. I'm signed up for the Fatip Lo Storto Testina Originale Passaround, and my turn is coming soon. I've saved a Mysterious KAI Blade especially to try in the Lo Storto Testina. Hoping for some awesome Mysterious Meteor Metal KAI Blade shaves!!

21 and done

I got 21 shaves out of the first Kai blade. Time to take a breath and then start again.

Shaves 20 and 21 tugged and I didn’t enjoy them that much. Shaves were more CCS than DFS. But they didn’t harm my face. No nicks or burn.

Still using the Krona, shave #4 I think.

Actually got a pretty good shave this morning, using Barbasol of all things. Minimal prep as well - just a hot soapy face wash.

I could still feel one side of the blade better than the other, but that might be because I have had trouble getting the blade centered in that razor.

Finished with Barbasol Pacific Rush. I can say that this has been the best shave I've had with the Kai. Close and no irritation.

I've always felt that every blade can work, under the right circumstances.

20210302_180206-01.jpeg

Blade # 1 - shave #2.
Razor: Fatip Grande OC.

What a great shave today. The combo of Fatip Grande OC and Kai did an excellent job on my face. BBS+ in three passes, no touch up strokes needed - my skin felt smooth as silk. GREAT combo.

The interesting thing is that with the Grande there was absolutely no blade feel. None at all!

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
IMG_20210302_202245.jpg

Blade#1 Shave#2

Due to the irritation I received on shave#1 I decided to dial back the aggressiveness of the razor by using the Wilkinson Sword new Classic TTO and up the slickness of the soap by using bowl lathered Arko. The blade still feels very sharp, but with the milder razor there was no irritation, even on my neck, though I did take more care this time.
Gave an excellent shave today and most enjoyable the equipment and soap today we're just right. I will have to give tomorrows setup some thought to build on today's results.

Kai (9) !! I wasn't expecting to get here, especially not with all the blade shuffling.

Brand spanking new PAA polished Copper Ascension
Col Conk Lime prep
La Toja stick for lather
Brass handle boar re-knot, more heavy metal
Alum and Richard's Rub (Osage Rub and Dickinson's Witch Hazel Toner, 50/50)
27C91147-AAD8-4AE4-B435-0DC0A551C7E4.jpeg

This was a fast shave, dinner was arriving at the table. The Kai performed perfectly. It will get another run out, perhaps in this razor.

Twelfth shave with the Mysterious Kai blade #2

Razor
Brush: Maggard 18mm Timberwolf, Travel-Size
Soap: RazoRock Gold Label

Almost flirted with disaster, this morning, but a very good lather from the Maggard 18mm Timberwolf/RR Gold Label pairing may have saved me from an iffy performance by the FOCS/Kai duo.

Let me clarify... Neither the razor nor blade performed in a substandard fashion. The problem was me; not only did I shave in a hurry due to a quickly-approaching teleconference, but the nerve damage in my hand was acting up something fierce. (Shaving with the shakes can be a real adventure! :em19: )

Despite all that, I received three exceptionally comfy passes with nary a tug or nick. There is definitely a synergy between the mild, forgiving nature of the FOCS and the keenly sharp, yet smooth Kai. Even with some serious operator error in play, I ended up with a damn fine shave.

I'm loving that you (and others) are getting so many shaves from these blades. I'm signed up for the Fatip Lo Storto Testina Originale Passaround, and my turn is coming soon. I've saved a Mysterious KAI Blade especially to try in the Lo Storto Testina. Hoping for some awesome Mysterious Meteor Metal KAI Blade shaves!!
You're gonna love the FOCS. Most of us "F.O.C.S. Fiends" agree that this razor is smooth, yet surprisingly efficient.

In my case, I've found that it's also an incredibly forgiving razor. I can extend the longevity of most blades by a good margin compared to any of my other razors. And, interestingly, it moderates the harshness of what many consider to be lower-tier blades. I've even re-used blades that I had originally written off as crap and managed to get good shaves out of them!

So, now, the FOCS is my everyday razor. If I've counted right, today was my 243rd consecutive shave with it. It goes without saying that it has become my "grail" razor and I don't foresee any other razor supplanting it anytime soon!
😊

Mysterious Kai blade 2, edge 1, shave 3. Wilkinson Sword Sticky; Art of Shaving Lavender soap; YaQi Sagrada Familia 24mm Tuxedo.

I grew tired of FrankenDOC. Although the shave was good, regrowth seemed to be quicker than usual. Noting someone's comments upthread about the Kai preferring their TTOs, I dug out my Wilkinson Sword Sticky which has the dual benefits of shaving very similarly to the plastic Classic, and of having a somewhat more premium feel. In transferring the blade I was also reminded of another observation that the blade cut-outs are smaller than general, and I had to use a bit of positive pressure in getting the blade in place.

Since there was a razor change, I returned to my benchmark soap too. All in all a great shave despite being the third on the edge. There was one unexpected weeper, but you can't have everything.

20210303_091738-01.jpeg
Blade #1 / shave #3
Razor: 40's style Gillette Super Speed

The blade feel came back with the KAI attached to the rather mild 40's style Super Speed - quite noticeable, but not in an annoying way. The result, however, was flawless and close: 3 passes, almost bbs.

Blade 1 Shave 10

Pre Shave: Hot shower
Razor: WCS Toothsome head
Blade: Kai (10)
Brush: Maggard Synthetic
Soap: CBL Rock the Casbah
AS Balm: Nivea
AS: Crown Shaving
Beard Oil: Stirling Executive Man

Changed up half of my software today and with a little apprehension after a slightly less comfortable shave last time I went for round ten with blade one. And, boom, another great shave! Just when I think this blade is finally going to get pitched I am able to pull out another great shave. This was another three pass DFS. After seeing some of the other double digit use posts I am starting to wonder just how far this thing will go.

SHAVE NO. 7
2 days growth

Preshave: Warm shower with Palmolive bath bar
Razor: late 40s tech ball end handle
Blade: Kai
Soap: Stirling Sharp Dressed Man
Brush: Stirling Pro Handle Synthetic
After: Stirling Sharp Dressed Man splash

My first time using this new to me razor. I received my first small nick in many months, but I blame that on being unfamiliar with the razor. This shave was much better than the 70s English tech. The added weight seems to have contributed to a closer shave in my trouble area and there was no blade alignment issue since this tech doesn't use the four corners to hold the blade. Keep in mind that I've never used this razor before, so I have no way to compare the blade's performance.

The blade is definitely not as sharp, but I'll press on.

In transferring the blade I was also reminded of another observation that the blade cut-outs are smaller than general

+1. Kai has a wide-ranging line of blades and a general interest in sharp tools. They even have a plant here in knife-centric Portland, Oregon.

I assume their razor blade business is largely domestic. It even includes punch-compatible blades for AutoStrop razors, as does the Feather line. From what I've read, Feather and Kai were at some point affiliated, with Feather perhaps spun off from Kai.

I want to read an appropriately wide-ranging essay on Kai's business and engineering practices and decisions, but I doubt I'm going to find it. Close tolerance cut-outs and extra-wide blades, no on blade branding or wax to hold the blade in the wrapper, premium pricing - unique/niche choices. Eccentric manufacturing engineering? Market demand?

Blade 3
Shave 3
Razor - Murker 23
3+ pass
(its a 3 kinda day)

I had another 2 day beard (lost my streak there). I am really pushing this blade this time.

The blade started out tugging but that is common for my beard at this length. After that first pass though it was smooth sailing. The blade did a good job cutting down the growth and rewarded me with an irritation free shave.

My ATG pass was smooth too, which is where I get most of my irritation from. I wanted to see how the edge would hold when its pushed to preform rather than daily work. To my surprise this was the smoothest ATG shave I have had in a while. Usually my jaw line provides the toughest spot for me, even with stretching. But today this blade didn't whine about it, it just did it.

10/10

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
IMG_20210303_204711.jpg

Blade#1 Shave#3

Back to the Parker 26C tonight and the sharp feel is gone, but the blade is still very sharp but now buttery smooth. Still manages to impress with the effortless way it removes the stubble. Used Stirling Sharp Dressed Man applied with the Yaqi black Ferrari brush (fantastic scent).
The blade has mellowed considerably and now gives a smooth irritation free shave on shave 3, so it already has Feathers beat. The result was an easy BBS. I am really enjoying this Kai experiment and I look forward to tomorrows shave.

Shave #2 with Mysterious Kai Blade #2

Razor:
- Timeless .95 Titanium OC / Scalloped Top Cap
Blade:
- Kai Stainless Steel (2)
Brush:
- Yaqi “Butterscotch” with 26mm Silk Smoke Fan / Flat Top Hybrid
Lather:
- Barrister and Mann Seville
Aftershave:
- Stirling Unscented Aftershave Splash
- Barrister and Mann Seville Aftershave Balm
- Barrister and Mann Le Grand Chypre Aftershave Balm
Bowl:
- Timeless Lather Bowl

So with the first blade, I had a great first shave and horrible second shave that tugged so bad, it actually pulled hairs and skin out so I tossed the blade as I believe it was a dud.

After another fantastic first shave with blade 2, I was a little concerned about how this second shave would go. Well it was very different then the last blade. This was a great shave, BBS with no irritation. I nicked a mole on my neck but don’t blame it on the blade as it is a large mole that I catch every couple shaves. Unlike the first shave with this blade that had almost no tugging, the Kai blade was good on the first two passes and most of the third pass but was tugging quite a bit again in the chin, goatee and lip area. It wasn’t as bad as the second shave with blade 1 but was noticeable but I just had to take it slow with really short strokes. Had some feedback with the alum in those areas but almost none anywhere else. Will see how shave 3 goes in a few days.

proxy.php

Thirteenth shave with the Mysterious Kai blade #2

Razor
Brush: Yaqi Black Marble 24mm Silvertip
Soap: RazoRock Santa Maria del Fiore

A lovely lather from the Yaqi 24mm Silvertip/RR SMdF pairing combined with a smooth, comfortable performance from the FOCS/Kai duo equals another top-notch shave. Lucky number 13! ;)

The lather was extremely rich and slick, today. I overloaded the brush slightly and was reward with enough lather for ten passes! I have to keep reminding myself to limit the amount of this particular soap that I load; to paraphrase Monty Python, it's a real goer!

My three customary passes were superb. Very smooth and comfortable, as mentioned, and completely trouble-free. This razor/blade combination doesn't appear to be losing any efficiency or comfort as the uses pile up. In fact, as noted yesterday, it seems to be getting better as time goes on.

Top Bottom