What's new

Participation PIF - The Mysterious KAI Blades

Unfortunately, the blades haven't arrived in Germany as yet. This was to be expected in these times.

Am I the last one waiting for blades to be delivered?
No, you're not the last; I have several who have not reported receiving their blades yet. No one from Asia or Canada has reported in yet, and I'm waiting to hear from a couple of recipients from CONUS.

The Canada Post dog sleds haven’t arrived yet

Razor: Karve SS CB SB-A
Blade: Kai (4) and done
Brush: Omega Pro 49
Bowl: Timeless
Soap: RR Yellow Label (relegated to shower duty)
A/S: Aqua Velva Classic Ice Blue
Shave #4 with blade #1. I am working my way through some, maybe all, of my Karve plates. Today after two days the A plate was up. The shave was exceptionally smooth, however I noticed that the blade was substantially less sharp than shave 1&2, and therefore was binned today. The A plate with the Kai felt closer to what I typically get with the B plate and my go to blades. The shave was smooth however not super close. Up next will be the OC-A plate to see if that may strike a happy medium of smoothness/closeness for me with this razor/blade combo. After the Karve I will probably explore some other razor options. Have a great day y’all!
A1B924B6-2604-4CFF-9E0D-925216796CE1.jpeg

First shave with my Gillette Bulldog which just came in the mail today.

Kai- 1st blade 5th shave
AOS Sandalwood pre shave
AOS Oud Shaving cream
post shave of acne wash then blackhead scrub, cold rinse then alum block, cold rinse then AOS Sandalwood aftershave

Can’t tell if it was just the way the bulldog shaves and feels, but felt incredibly smooth with less sharpness. The Kai may be losing its edge a bit more than I’d like, will test with my r41 tomorrow to have a better idea since I’m used to that as my daily driver. If it feels too dull then it’s binned tomorrow. Looking forward to trying out these Wizamet super iridium blades anyhow

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 5
Unfortunately, the blades haven't arrived in Germany as yet. This was to be expected in these times.

Am I the last one waiting for blades to be delivered?
No, you're not the last; I have several who have not reported receiving their blades yet. No one from Asia or Canada has reported in yet, and I'm waiting to hear from a couple of recipients from CONUS.
During the Classic vs Modern Wilkinsons Challenge PIF, my blades took 49 days to arrive. I posted my first review almost a month after everybody else had abandoned the thread!

So, don't give up hope just yet. I fully expect to be dead last again! :laugh:

The Canada Post dog sleds haven’t arrived yet
I hear it's rough going until the dogs hit the tundra, then it's smooth sledding!!
It was -50 C (-58 F) out on the prairies due to the polar vortex, yesterday. If the sled dogs are smart, they're sipping fruity cocktails by the beach in Puerto Vallarta! ⛱🍹🌴

Kai Blade #1 Shave #4
Got a close shave this A.M. but, the blade is slowing down some. I needed 2 extra touch ups on my neck area. No nicks or irritation noted.:thumbup1: I might only get X7 shaves from the Kai blade. I used the FOCS Razor & Sheep soap.

Mysterious, legendary KAI blade 2: Shave #3

Wolfman WR1/WRH 2 handle
Simpsons chubby 1 best badger
Cella croap
Speick splash
Rating: 9.5/10.

Excellent blades, fine QC (based on only two blades) and one fine shave after another!! :a29:

I cannot believe there is not at least 1 person that hates these blades. Usually with other products there is people on both sides of the fence. It is getting crowded over here on the "darn fine blade" side.

I cannot believe there is not at least 1 person that hates these blades. Usually with other products there is people on both sides of the fence. It is getting crowded over here on the "darn fine blade" side.
Ummm ... I'm not exactly in love with them. They have a tad too much face feel for me to love them, and their sharpness has relegated me to putting them in my mildest razor to avoid weepers. That said in my mildest razor they are fine, but I don't think I'd ever consider them a daily driver.

Shave #3 ( Blade # 2 )

I kept the Kai in the Feather Popular again. It's my mildest razor. I Marco-methoded Arko today and tried a 3 pass shave and things turned out well. No mishaps and I ended with decently close shave ... not exactly BBS but I rarely aim for that and this was fairly close. I didn't try to buff anything ... 3 passes and I stopped.

I did play with the head angle a little. I went from riding the cap to a more neutral angle but that really increased the face feel. I'm not sure I'll go too far down that path.

All in all, it's probably my best shave in the Popular from a combined comfort + result standpoint.

I'm not sure where I'll go from here. I feel like I've proved to myself I can safely use these blades in a few of my razors. They seem more comfortable from a face feel standpoint in my Slim but I had a few weeper issues earlier with that combo. I may trade it back to the Slim and see if I can beat the weeper conundrum. Or I could be bold and slap it in something else.

KAI Blade #1
Shave #6

Today I put this blade back in the Merkur. This razor is very mild and will tell me pretty quickly when a blade is approaching an unusable edge.

I did not have that with the KAI. Maybe, just maybe I saw some loss in sharpness, but I am subjective and don't know what I saw.

The bottom line is this blade has worked great. My only issue (s) involve TTOs. I was originally going to shave with my '46 Milord, no notch. This blade will not fit. The end cuts on this blade are too small to fit on the center post. Odd.

Because of this I put it in the Merkur and was happy with it. I did a 3+ pass shave and the results were great. I haven't been able to tell any performance drop during my testing of this blade.

I honestly want to find an issue with this blade. It doesnt seem to like TTO's though. It sits odd in them and it looks to me that the bade is not to be even on both sides. I put it in a couple different ones and saw the same issue. OR, I could be crazy.

I have no performance issues with this blade.

I usually toss blades after 6 shaves, now my choice is do I keep going?

Shave #3 ( Blade # 2 )

I kept the Kai in the Feather Popular again. It's my mildest razor. I Marco-methoded Arko today and tried a 3 pass shave and things turned out well. No mishaps and I ended with decently close shave ... not exactly BBS but I rarely aim for that and this was fairly close. I didn't try to buff anything ... 3 passes and I stopped.

I did play with the head angle a little. I went from riding the cap to a more neutral angle but that really increased the face feel. I'm not sure I'll go too far down that path.

All in all, it's probably my best shave in the Popular from a combined comfort + result standpoint.

I'm not sure where I'll go from here. I feel like I've proved to myself I can safely use these blades in a few of my razors. They seem more comfortable from a face feel standpoint in my Slim but I had a few weeper issues earlier with that combo. I may trade it back to the Slim and see if I can beat the weeper conundrum. Or I could be bold and slap it in something else.
I fully intend to snap one in half and see what it is like in my shavette. Any one mentioned what they feel like in a shvaette yet?

Blade 1 shave 3

Pre shave: hot shower and Neutrogena face wash
Razor: '74 Black Handle Super Speed
Blade: Kai (2)
Brush: 26mm Black and White Synthetic
Soap: PAA Doppelganger Gray Label
AS: PAA Doppelganger Gray Label

I ran the same set up as I did on Sunday and had an even smoother shave today. I changed up my second pass slightly which seemed to help. I used the alum block just to check myself and as I expected there was no bite from either the block or the AS. I'm thinking my shave Thursday will be an open comb.

Fourth shave with the Kai, put it in my Timeless Ti .95 this time. This is a nice sharp blade even after my fourth shave with it. I'm impressed with how smooth it is & still holding its sharpness. Bottom line, yet another wonderfully smooth shave!
IMG_4419.jpg

Razor: Merkur clone on wcs 78bl handle
Blade: Kai blade 1 shave #4
Brush: TNS Ghost
Soap: Sudsy Soapery Top o' the morning
Aftershave: Mostly cryogen with a little kaizen mixed in.

Blade is still smooth and holding sharpness fairly well. Was another really good shave.

Razor: Karve SS CB OC-A plate
Blade: Kai blade 2 shave 1
Brush: 22 SHD Maggard
Bowl: Timeless
Soap: Arko
A/S: Aqua Velva Classic Ice Blue
The OC-A plate with this blade was my favorite yet. I’m thinking because it felt most similar to my SB-B plate with a normal blade. I will probably be trading for an OC-B plate in the not so near future. Really enjoyed the OC plate today! Blade was smooth and sharp. Great shave!
B099CB70-983C-4228-BF54-540FC1F9F4C4.jpeg

Kind of an unfair comparison but here :
Kai #3 -1st use
Gillette ROcket HD
Simpsons Chubby 2
TOBS
Witch medicated
Proraso red AS
Proraso blue AB

Started with head shave as usual, but it wasn't great....so I noticed I had a RR OC 0.84 w a Bic #3 as back up (left over loaded and clean)...
Head 2+ pases, just half ; the other half done w RR
Then face shave 3 passes half with each razor.

Yesterday I used the same Rocket w a Polsylver SI#3 and the shave was mediocre....not close enough and irritating

So today I used the same razor w Kai; the shave was closer, equally irritating.

And the winner is RR with a Bic......, close and bit irritating....and I used to hate Bic blades (previous pack was from Ebay=horrible; current are from a store OK).

Well all may hopes were to get outstanding shaves using Kai blades in my Gillette razors that I haven't been using.... but it isn't happening. WIll try a Fat boy next. Or maybe I'll just try either a Schone or Fatip slant.......towards the end of the week. It will be Kai vs Vikings Sword. I'll use a synthetic and a good soap.....
All shaves w Kai have been close, never blood; but they have been more irritating than all my usual sharp blades in the same razors. I think Nacet or GSB in all Gillette razors seem to work best for me..... Will keep an open mind

Mysterious Kai edge 1, shave 5. Wilkinson Sword Classic (plastic) razor, Haslinger Seaweed (tallow) soap, YaQi Sagrada Familia 24mm tuxedo brush.

I have five shaves per edge as an upper limit. Ten shaves per blade is plenty really, but this thing seems as good if not better than the day it started. There was one tiny jawline weeper, but this was where I got one the other day so I don't think it qualifies as a new event. There was more alum feedback than after the first shave, but still significantly less than some blades give on their first use.

I'll move on to edge two for the next shave, but I'm sufficiently intrigued by the performance of edge one that I may yet revisit it for a sixth.

Shave #4 ( Blade #2 )

Lord L6
Kai Stainless
Omega 49
Arko

I moved the Kai over to my second mildest razor this morning. The Lord L6. The razor I learned to DE shave with.

1 pass and I quit. Multiple weepers were visible when I put my razor down to grab my brush to lather up for pass 2. As with my other Kai shaves where I had a weeper issue I didn't really feel them at least. I also had the strange issue of having them in places I never usually get them like actually on my face and not just my neck.

I think this blade is too sharp for me and my technique. Luckily my face is oddly OK. I don't actually feel like my face is irritated.

I think I'll take a little Kai break for a bit and come back to it in my Slim dialed way way low.

Top Bottom