What's new

Participation PIF - The Mysterious KAI Blades

16th and final shave with my 1st Kai blade this morning.
Sorry hit the wrong key.
Anyway, my shaves with this blade started to decline in quality since about shave 12. Still smooth, but efficiency and ultimate closeness haven't been the same. For me, life's too short to continue with a suboptimal blade even if it's still pretty good. Overall, though, my experience with this Kai blade were superb in every way. Smoothness, lack of blood and irritation, efficiency and closeness all were as good as it gets. I'll be glad to try another one, but next time I'll try a different razor and see how that goes.

proxy.php

Sixty-second shave with the Mysterious Kai blade #2

Razor
: Fatip Lo Storto Originale (aka FOCS)
Brush: Fine Classic 20mm Angel Hair
Soap: Pré de Provence Bergamot and Thyme

A great lather from the Fine Classic/PdP Bergamot and Thyme (B&T) pairing perfectly complemented another smooth performance from the FOCS/Kai duo.

Like No. 63, B&T is a very easy-lathering soap. This isn't a surprise since they share the same base. After only a few swirls on the puck with the damp brush, the lather began to build immediately. The result was a tight, dense lather which, like No. 63, felt slightly dry. After adding a few drops of water, I was rewarded with exceptional slickness. In all respects, the B&T performed identically to the No. 63.

Meanwhile, the Kai blade glided easily over my skin with nary a tug. My three usual passes were quick and trouble-free. The ATG pass was especially smooth which, for me, is an important indicator of a blade's performance. Although my face is still a bit sensitive from the earlier sunburn, there was no post-shave irritation.

Overall, I was very pleased by today's shave. Both the brush/soap and razor/blade combinations were top-notch.

Sixth shave with Mysterious Kai blade #3

Razor:
Fatip Lo Storto Originale Slant “FOCS”
Blade: Kai Stainless Steel (6)
Brush: Grizzly Bay “Empress” with 26mm High Mountain White (Bulb)
Bowl: Captain’s Choice Copper Lather Bowl (Heavyweight)
Soap and Aftershave: Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Space Nog CK-6

After a few days of beautiful spring weather, today was cold and snowing so I felt I needed software that’s scent would warm me up. I get so excited when I use Space Nog, it is my favourite scent, I love it. The CK-6 base is fantastic, it’s so slick but still has great cushion / protection.

I got another incredible shave with the FOCS / Kai duo. It was BBS with no cuts, weepers or irritation. I usually get a little bit of feedback in some area, unless it’s a rare bad shave but tonight I had zero feedback with the alum, I’ll give some of the credit to the CK-6 for that. Again no tugging anywhere with the FOCS. Last shave, I had to do a bit of buffing on the ATG pass, I wasn’t sure if the blade was dulling or if it was because I did a two pass shave with no XTG pass. I had to do no buffing tonight, so I guess I need to do three passes with the FOCS, which is no biggie as I get incredible shaves with the duo.

proxy.php

Sixty-third shave with the Mysterious Kai blade #2

Razor
Brush: Yaqi Sagrada Familia 24mm Fan-shaped Tuxedo
Soap: Pré de Provence No. 63

This is the end of the road for the Mysterious Kai Blade #2.

Despite a fantastic lather from the Yaqi Sagrada Familia Tuxedo Fan/PdP No. 63 pairing, the FOCS/Kai duo did not perform up to the standard that I had been enjoying for the last two months. The change was not subtle or gradual.

Although the WTG pass went well, the first signs of trouble appeared during the ATG pass when there was roughness on the up-strokes as I transitioned from the jawline to the cheek. Then, the roughness became more prominent during the XTG pass. This was a surprise because all of my previous XTG passes had been very smooth. Today's shave also took much longer to finish than normal because I spent a great deal of time stretching my skin and buffing. This was also a new behaviour from this razor/blade combination.

Once done, I noticed that there was some moderate post-shave irritation that wasn't associated with the sunburn that I had suffered previously. The sensitivity is confined mostly along my jawline where I had experienced the roughness.

So, in conclusion, I'm finally retiring this blade. It had a much longer run than I had anticipated, considering how poorly the first Kai blade had performed. I'll be starting a new Kai blade (#3) soon. It'll be interesting to see if it can match Kai blade #2's consistency and longevity. (This may have to wait until the Astra SS Challenge PIF is over.)

The venerable blade itself...

proxy.php

This was taken after its final use. The edges are reasonably clean, but the body is mottled and discoloured. This is particularly noticeable where it was clamped in the FOCS. (The dot and line on the end tabs were made by me with a Sharpie so that I could consistently orient the blade in the FOCS.)

p.s. Kind of ironic that the 63rd and last use of the Mysterious Kai blade #2 would be on a day when I lathered with PdP No. 63. I guess I should have used Ethos "Endless Summer", instead! 😜

proxy.php

Razor

Despite a fantastic lather from the Yaqi Sagrada Familia Tuxedo Fan/PdP No. 63 pairing, the FOCS/Kai duo did not perform up to the standard that I had been enjoying for the last two months. The change was not subtle or gradual.

Although the WTG pass went well, the first signs of trouble appeared during the ATG pass when there was roughness on the up-strokes as I transitioned from the jawline to the cheek. Then, the roughness became more prominent during the XTG pass. This was a surprise because all of my previous XTG passes had been very smooth. Today's shave also took much longer to finish than normal because I spent a great deal of time stretching my skin and buffing. This was also a new behaviour from this razor/blade combination.

Once done, I noticed that there was some moderate post-shave irritation that wasn't associated with the sunburn that I had suffered previously. The sensitivity is confined mostly along my jawline where I had experienced the roughness.

So, in conclusion, I'm finally retiring this blade. It had a much longer run than I had anticipated, considering how poorly the first Kai blade had performed. I'll be starting a new Kai blade (#3) soon. It'll be interesting to see if it can match Kai blade #2's consistency and longevity. (This may have to wait until the Astra SS Challenge PIF is over.)

proxy.php

This was taken after its final use. The edges are reasonably clean, but the body is mottled and discoloured. This is particularly noticeable where it was clamped in the FOCS. (The dot and line on the end tabs were made by me with a Sharpie so that I could consistently orient the blade in the FOCS.)

p.s. Kind of ironic that the 63rd and last use of the Mysterious Kai blade #2 would be on a day when I lathered with PdP No. 63. I guess I should have used Ethos "Endless Summer", instead! 😜
63 shaves on 1 blade is bloody good going! I begin to get twitchy when I reach shave 7...

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
proxy.php

Razor

proxy.php

You'll have to make the rest last a little longer if you want to get a whole year from a tuck of blades

Seventh shave with Mysterious Kai blade #3

Razor:
Blade: Kai Stainless Steel (7)
Brush: Chisel and Hound “Buffalo Valley” with 26mm V9 Fanchurian
Soap and Aftershave: Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Doppelgänger Black (Sauvage) CK-6

The most shaves I’ve ever gotten from a blade was six, the previous Kai blade, before tonight’s seventh shave with this Kai blade. The FOCS / Kai duo excelled again on tonight’s three pass shave, leaving my face BBS with no cuts, weepers, irritation or tugging. There was no loss in performance tonight, no tugging, buffing and no increase in blade feel so I’m thinking it’s realistic that I may make it to double digits for the first time with a blade.

Bravo @Demolition for making it to 63 shaves with the Kai blade 👏

Bravo @Demolition for making it to 63 shaves with the Kai blade 👏
Thanks!

I was surprised to make it that far, considering my first Kai blade barely lasted 9 shaves. That blade was so inconsistent that I had no expectations for the second blade. Yet, I managed to get 63 shaves out of it!

Interestingly, all of those shaves, except one (the last one), were smooth and mostly trouble-free. The consistency was amazing. Consistency and predictability are the traits that I value most in a blade, so I was very impressed.

The thing that I wasn't expecting was the blade to suddenly go dull like it did. One minute, I'm mowing through stubble like a scythe through hay. Then, the next minute, I'm dragging a potato across my face. :huh:

I'm eagerly looking forward to my next Kai blade, though. I've had one bad blade and one exceptionally good blade, so I'm curious to see which way it will go. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Eighth shave with Mysterious Kai blade #3

Razor:
Blade: Kai Stainless Steel (8)
Brush: Grizzly Bay “Neptune Hurricane” with 26mm Thäter 2-Band Silvertip (Bulb)
Cream: Taylor of Old Bond Street Coconut
Aftershave: Stirling Iced Pineapple Aftershave Splash

Another fantastic three pass shave with the FOCS / Kai duo. No cuts, weepers, irritation or tugging and no extra buffing needed. Didn’t notice any loss of performance from the blade, excited to see many shaves I can get from this duo.

Ninth shave with Mysterious Kai blade #3

Razor:
Blade: Kai Stainless Steel (9)
Brush: Grizzly Bay “Empress” with 26mm High Mountain White (Bulb)
Soap and Aftershave: Noble Otter Rawr

A good three pass shave with the FOCS / Kai duo. The performance of the blade began to deteriorate but it didn’t have a negative impact on the final result of the shave. I got some tugging on the WTG and ATG pass, not bad but noticeable and it took some buffing on the ATG pass, especially the trouble areas of the chin, goatee and lip. I got BBS on my neck and cheeks and DFS on the chin and lip. Although it took some extra work compared to the previous shaves, I got no irritation, cuts or weepers. Even with the tugging and buffing, it was still a really good shave. This is the most shaves I’ve ever gotten from any blade and the next shave will be the first time I’ve gotten double digit shaves from a blade, so hopefully I can pull out a few more good shaves.

I've been using Feathers for the past couple of weeks & switched back to Kai for today's shave. It's my third shave on this blade & I was rewarded with a very sharp, smooth shave. Feathers I can get only two shaves before changing blades. I'm interested in the next few shaves to compare the sharpness of the Kai first of all, & secondly the number of shaves before the sharpness drops off. I'll eventually switch to a new Kai to compare with a Feather from the first shave. My initial thoughts are the third shave on this Kai is similar to a second shave on a Feather.
IMG_4614.jpg

Tenth shave with Mysterious Kai blade #3

Razor:
Blade: Kai Stainless Steel (10)
Brush: Chisel and Hound “Buffalo Valley” with 26mm V9 Fanchurian
Soap, Aftershave Splash and Balm: Murphy and McNeil Naid

Well, I did it, I got to double digit shaves with a blade 🥳

Anyways, today’s shave was good, although the first 8 shaves we’re fantastic. I think the demise of Mysterious Kai blade #3 is imminent. Although I got some drop in performance, I still got BBS on my cheeks and neck and the chin and lip were DFS. Again, I got no cuts, weepers or irritation. I got tugging on the chin and lip, again not bad, but more noticeable then last shave. It took some buffing to get BBS on the cheeks and neck and took some work to get the chin as smooth(ish) as I did, luckily, I didn’t get irritation. There was increased blade feel throughout the shave and after the shave, although my face was smooth, I needed to apply balm as my face didn’t feel irritated but felt rough, if that makes sense. A few minutes after I applied the balm, my face was smooth and felt great as the roughness had gone away. I’m still debating if I’m going to push it and try shave 11 tomorrow.

Sorry hit the wrong key.
Anyway, my shaves with this blade started to decline in quality since about shave 12. Still smooth, but efficiency and ultimate closeness haven't been the same. For me, life's too short to continue with a suboptimal blade even if it's still pretty good. Overall, though, my experience with this Kai blade were superb in every way. Smoothness, lack of blood and irritation, efficiency and closeness all were as good as it gets. I'll be glad to try another one, but next time I'll try a different razor and see how that goes.

After a break (8 shaves with an OK Shark Chrome), I had my very 1st shave this morning with my 2nd Kai, this time in my Fatip OC Slant. Soap was Tabac, face lathered with my Shavemac pure badger knot in Rudy Vey handle.

1st shaves with new blades are iffy for me. Blades seem to smooth out in the 2nd or 3rd shave. But this one was OUTSTANDING. Smooth and BBS, no irritation, and an overall pleasant experience. As I said in an earlier post (channeling Crocodile Dundee) this is a BLADE! While I’m at it, shout outs to Fatip for showing the Kai at its best and also to Tabac, Rudy, and Bernd for superb lather.

I'm 4 shaves in & have doubled what I normally get out of a Feather. Shave #4 continues to provide smooth efficient whisker reduction. I'm still quite pleased to be in this mysterious pif. I'm beginning to look at Kai as a possible replacement for Feather. Much too early to say with certainty, but I'm at least comfortable enough with the Kai to at least make that statement.
IMG_4615.jpg

I loaded a fresh Kai into my H&S P076 today after shaving yesterday with a new Feather. I'm curious to compare the two & see which I prefer. The Kai today was a tad harsher than the Feather but by just a small amount. But a single day does not make for a complete evaluation. More to follow...

20210510_113853-01.jpeg

Razor: Razorock German 37 Slant

Blade #3 / Shave #7
Another nice and easy shave.
In fact, KAI is a very good match for this razor. I do enjoy the shaves this combo gives - always smooth but the combo perfectly manages my neck's troublespots with ease.

3 passes, no irritation, BBS :thumbsup:

Onward!

Last edited:
Top Bottom