What's new

Participation PIF - ELIOS Inoxidable Blades

The Elios in my Knockout was a pretty good combination. The pass was very efficient, but still a little on the rough side. The blade is definitely starting to mellow. I noticed that this is a thick blade and so for tomorrow's shave, I loaded it in one of my slants, a type of razor that prefers rigid blades. We will see how it goes. I can't wait for February to end so I can try a complete shave with this blade and start the dice counter.

Shave #6
Razor- RR GC .84 OC
Soap - Mystic Water Bay Rum
Brush - Yaqi Moka Express 2 Band Badger
Another BBS. Hoping for the same with blades 2-5

First Shave - ELIOS Inoxidable Blade

Razor:
Razorock GameChanger .84 SB
Pre-shave: GD Mojito
Soap: Captain's Choice Bay Rum

Saturday morning shave, about 48 hrs growth (typical amount of growth) Did my usual 3-pass shave, with some cleanup. First pass, WTG, was pretty rough, felt some tugging, got several weepers on my neck (one of my usual trouble spots). Second pass, XTG, seemed a little better, but started feeling very slight irritation. Third pass, ATG, also a little tugging. I did a little buffing here and there, but didn't want to push it. Had several weepers, but they were very small.

Used the alum block, and got a good bit of feedback on my neck, a little on my face. Not as much as I expected, but still more than I would have liked. Finished off with some Nivea after shave balm and a splash of Lucky Tiger.

The shave itself was ok, but not what I would call DFS. Still a few spots that were scratchy here and there.

I hate to be the first with a negative review, but so far I don't like this blade. I usually use sharper blades (Polsilver, Feather, Ever-Sharp), and this one is a bit below that level for me. It reminds me of the Rapira Super Stainless that I tried recently (which I didn't care for).

All that said, I will try the blade again tonight and see how it is for a second shave.

Thanks again to @Space_Cadet and @Grundi for donating these and setting up this PIF! A great opportunity to try something new.

Razor:

Saturday morning shave, about 48 hrs growth (typical amount of growth) Did my usual 3-pass shave, with some cleanup. First pass, WTG, was pretty rough, felt some tugging, got several weepers on my neck (one of my usual trouble spots). Second pass, XTG, seemed a little better, but started feeling very slight irritation. Third pass, ATG, also a little tugging. I did a little buffing here and there, but didn't want to push it. Had several weepers, but they were very small.

Used the alum block, and got a good bit of feedback on my neck, a little on my face. Not as much as I expected, but still more than I would have liked. Finished off with some Nivea after shave balm and a splash of Lucky Tiger.

The shave itself was ok, but not what I would call DFS. Still a few spots that were scratchy here and there.

I hate to be the first with a negative review, but so far I don't like this blade. I usually use sharper blades (Polsilver, Feather, Ever-Sharp), and this one is a bit below that level for me. It reminds me of the Rapira Super Stainless that I tried recently (which I didn't care for).

All that said, I will try the blade again tonight and see how it is for a second shave.

Thanks again to @Space_Cadet and @Grundi for donating these and setting up this PIF! A great opportunity to try something new.
You're welcome!! It's been a great opportunity for the b&B Community to try these blades (me included)!!

All blades are YMMV, and a blade that may work for a lot of us may turn out to be horrible for the very next person. This is the "fun" of trying new shaving things!! (The nice thing is that you didn't purchase 100 blades and THEN find out)

Early Warning - the ELIOS Inoxidable Blade Participation PIF blade distribution phase will be closing this Sunday night. 32 out of the 38 5-blade packs have been mailed out (some blades have gone out very recently)!! Participation will continue with others joining in as they receive their blades or finish their One-Blade-In-February-Challenge.

Anyone interested in receiving blades (I've have 6 spots still available), please contact me before Sunday night.
FINAL WARNING for saying You're In. Tonight is the last night for requesting these blades thru this Participation PIF. Participation and reviews and banter will continue into next month (for anyone signing up recently or in the One-Blade-Challenge). I have a few 5-blade packs that I would love to mail out to any who may want to try these ELIOS Inoxidable Blades!!

Razor:

My initial review was not glowing. After using the McKee hone I've gotten excellent shaves.

Tonight's shave I used the Elios in my RR bakelite slant (the one that was the basis for the Stealth and eventually the Wunderbar). My one blade challenge did the WTG pass with the Elios doing the ATG pass. I have to say that this blade definitely does well in a slant. This is equivalent to my second-third shave with the blade and it mellowed out to be efficient without being rough, and the slant just made the shave perfect. I was tempted to do the XTG/touch up pass with the Elios, but had to return to my one blade just to be fair in the challenge. This is definitely a blade I want to take through it's full paces when February is over.

Tomorrow, I have the Elios loaded in a diagonal slant and will be doing XTG/touch up with it.

Finally, I get to the ACTIVE participation part of this PIF!

I always start a blade for evaluation on a Monday morning with 72 hours beard growth, in my (plastic) Wilkinson Sword Classic. This morning with OSP Orange and Patchouli cream applied with a YaQi 24mm tuxedo synthetic Sagrada Familia brush.

Possibly because the hairs were so long, it was a little bit grabby (nowhere near tuggy) on the first pass, but the second pass was lovely and smooth, and the finish was good. There was no post-shave alum sting.

First impressions broadly positive, we'll see how it copes with 24hr growth tomorrow.

Shave #7, no 3 on the blade and it was simply fantastic. This is the honed blade in the 6c, using plate 6 today with a two day growth. Before I do my control experiment to see if blade #1 was just a fluke, I"m going to keep using the two honed blades in use, 3 shaves in on the 6c and 2 shaves in on the Silver Star. We'll see how long they can keep this up. After this, I may try this experiment on some other blades that are mediocre performers for me, like the black box Rockwells, Merkur and Derby Extras.

Shave 8 - 3rd Shave with ELIOS Inoxidable Blade #2

Razor: Merkur 20C
Soap: Williams Mug Soap
Results: These blades continue to impress me! 2-pass shave with touch up resulting in a DFS shave! Smooth feel, no tugging, and no irritation. I'm expecting this blade to last as long as the first blade (5 really good shaves). I've been trying different soaps with these blades, but I think the razor makes the most difference.

Status update for the Participation PIF - ELIOS Inoxidable Blades

The request for blades part of this PIF is now closed; however, the participation part will continue!!

I received requests from 33 B&B'ers and 1 non-B&B'er (I held off giving to the non-B&B'er until after giving out to members of B&B). In all, 34 out of 38 5-blade packs have been claimed...170 ELIOS Inoxidable Blades!! The remaining 20 blades are packaged up and being sent to @Toothpick, administrator of the Great Blade Exchange!!

The response to this Participation PIF has been amazing!! The posts continue to be awesome!! More will be joining us as the last of the blades arrive in mailboxes and at the end of the One-Blade-In-Februrary-Challenge!!

Tonight was XTG/touch up pass with the Elios blade. The blade was loaded in one of my vintage diagonal slants. This was the real test as, for me, the touch up pass determines how close and effortlessly a blade can cut. The Elios passed without any roughness or irritation. I also found that this blade seemed well designed for a slant razor. When I first started shaving with slants, I used medium quality stiff blades thinking that because the slant design worked by stiffening the blade edge and by angling the cut, a medium quality stiff blade would be ideal for that purpose. I have since found out that some slants prefer thin blades, and others prefer sharp blades.

I will continue doing one pass with this Elios blade for as long as the blade will hold out, but probably not do a daily reporting just so I can concentrate on completing my one blade challenge for February.

Thanks @Grundi and @Space_Cadet for making this happen.

Second Shave - ELIOS Inoxidable Blade

Razor:

Sunday evening shave, getting ready for work on Monday, last shave was Saturday morning.
Usual 3-pass shave, with some cleanup. First pass, WTG, a bit rough, some tugging, but not as bad as the first shave. No weepers on this pass. Second pass, XTG, slight irritation. Third pass, ATG, felt ok, still some irritation. Some buffing to clean up, had some VERY small weepers on my neck.

Alum block, lots burning on my neck, a little on my face.

This morning a little irritation/burning on some areas.

I'm thinking these blades don't jive with my face, but I'm going to try another shave with the first one, and at least try 1 shave with a second blade.

Shave two - same set up as shave one (Participation PIF - ELIOS Inoxidable Blades - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/participation-pif-elios-inoxidable-blades.581511/page-9#post-10572823), although a different YaQi synthetic, and only 24 hours growth.

There's something I can't quite put my finger on with these blades. I got a nice finish with barely any alum sting and no real irritation, but somehow they're not quite comfortable in use. Shaping up as a good mid-tier blade based on performance, but doesn't quite reach the heights of some of my favourites based on comfort.

I am very appreciative of Grundi for the opportunity to try the ELIOS Inoxidable Blades.

After just two shaves with this blade:

I may be a little premature with my thoughts, but… I am not a fan. The first shave was not as close, as smooth or as irritation free as the Pol Silver I normally use in GC .68. The second 3-pass shave was better, but I had to do a clean-up with the Timeless Aluminum (after loading the just used Elios blade). If I was to make an early assumption, I would say this blade is better in an aggressive razor rather than a mild razor. I will next try the blade in my Timeless and see what kind of results I get.

I paid more than 20 cents for mine, but I never thought I'd use it. I thought it would just be a part of my old shaving stuff collection. It's given new life to blades that I used to think were too rough for me. I never had much success with Crystal blades, but had a wonderful BBS shave this morning with one after about 30 swipes each side with the McKee. The Elios has been an absolute joy after 30 swipes per side. I might try one that I find very smooth to see if that gets improved.
download.jpg

Shave 10 - 5th Shave with ELIOS Inoxidable Blade #2

Razor: Merkur 20C
Soap: Vinolia Shave Stick
Results: Blade #2 delivered 5 really good shaves. This last shave was near DFS, but performance has tapered off - smooth but not quite as smooth as shaves 2 - 4, sharp but not quite as sharp as the other shaves; yet I have no complaints whatsoever. So far, 2 out of the 5 blades have been very good.

For me, this blade has been very good in both a Gillette Slim on 4 and a Merkur 20C.

Last edited:
Shaves 3 & 4 (atypically I count shaves per edge rather than per blade - you can think of these as shaves 5 & 7 if you like). Same set up as before, but I mixed it up with a Frank Shaving badger brush yesterday, and Cella soap this morning.

The blade seems to have gotten more comfortable on the flats of my cheeks, but less comfortable on my chin and jawline. Results are still sound, and I'm pretty sure I could stretch things to a fifth SAS if I wanted to, but I won't. My impressions remain that this is a good mid-tier blade that I'd be happy paying money for if stuck, but that I wouldn't actively seek out.

Next week I'll try sticking the other edge into another razor (I'm thinking my Rapira Tech, but we'll see).

Shave no. 3 with the ELIOS Inoxidable Blade - My initial impression about this blade seems to be holding true. For me, the blade is not smooth and not particularly sharp. Todays shave with the Timeless Aluminum was very irritable with cuts and a few weepers. Yours may be total different than mine. I have tried these blades in two razors, the GC .68-P (a mild shaver) and the Timeless Aluminum (slightly more aggressive with some blade feel). If I was not in the participation in this trial for the Elios blade, I would not use them again. Keep in mind, this is my experience with the blade. YMMV.

Top Bottom