What's new

Participation PIF - ELIOS Inoxidable Blades

I completed four shaves with this blade in a Muhle R89, so far no complaints; this seem like a decent, mid-sharp blade. I did not experience any of the issues some people have complained about elsewhere with pulling or tugging. There is more life still in this blade, but it's time for a change.

I loaded a new Elios Inox into a Fatip Piccolo Mk1. It was a fine shave with an accidental BBS result, no irritation to speak of. The blade worked well with the Fatip OC; once again, no complaints, no horror show. Boring, but true.

Will follow-up later after more shaves.

I’m gonna make up a freakin review with graphic bloody detail just to even this yawnfest out. Adverbs and adjectives are your friends people. Get colorful and more dramatic up in here.

think deep movie announcer voice.

“in a time of Russia and Israeli razor domination something from Germany emerges “

I’m gonna make up a freakin review with graphic bloody detail just to even this yawnfest out. Adverbs and adjectives are your friends people. Get colorful and more dramatic up in here.

think deep movie announcer voice.

“in a time of Russia and Israeli razor domination something from Germany emerges “
Don't forget the thunderclap and scream in the background!!

Seriously, these blades have been nice blades!! Now, those Graham Field blades, on the other hand (thunderclap, scream...)

...think deep movie announcer voice.

Elios, I am your Father!

darth.jpg

Shave 5 - Wednesday, Mühle Rocca R96 v4 with ELIOS blade (first use)

A description of my setup is HERE.

Face Feel: Smooth and comfortable (again)
Closeness: Very good
Aftershave Feedback: Minimal (again)
Overall Rating: A very good shave
Comments: This blade has liked three different razors so far. Still not quite the sharpest or smoothest, but far from mild or rough. The ELIOS seems to be sitting comfortably in the middle of the pack, dependable like a Honda Accord. Thanks to the Rocca, this was my closest shave of the week.

OK ... spicy review time. Shave #3

Elios sauntered into the bathroom, flexed his muscles, and pointed straight at Polislver and screamed "Schleich dich!". My Gillette blades tried not to make eye contact with the mad German blade, and the Lord's gathered in the corner and discussed Senet while pretending the Deutsch invader didn't exist. Personnas and Astras struck up a conversation and kept giving the Elios the side-eye. The Dorcos in my collection put on some K-Pop music and zoned out.

Elios spun around, bellowed for Palmolive and waited impatiently for me to whip up some German lather and get to work.

Swish, scritch, zap! 3 passes and Elios declared "Das ist prima" while silently daring the other blades present to counter his claim. I'm afraid I have to agree with the belligerent blade from Germany. Total BBS today.

( Elios blade, SLOC razor, <grated >Palmolive Shave stick, rosewater splash - no muss, no fuss BBS )

3rd shave / 1st blade

End of life for this first blade.

Other than telltale signs that this blade is done for me, nothing remarkable this shave. I noted in my first 2 post-shave posts that there was some drag during the 1st (WTG) pass. Strangely, no such occurrence this 3rd, final shave. Very smooth 1st pass, smooth 2nd (ATG) pass, and slight tugging/dragging during buffing my problem areas. The result was the same as the first two shaves: face as smooth as glass. Zero irritation, zero nicks, zero weepers.

As I have different blades en route (via 17th century modes of transport, apparently), I'll keep rolling with the ELIOS until I either run out of the 5-blade allotment or my new blades arrive.

Would I buy 100 of these? I haven't exactly scoured the interwebs, but I recall seeing a eBay listing for ~$14.50/100 blades.... I think I actually will.

As I have different blades en route (via 17th century modes of transport, apparently), I'll keep rolling with the ELIOS until I either run out of the 5-blade allotment or my new blades arrive.
The stagecoach worked perfectly well for several centuries!! It's a very dependable shipping method!!

These blades are at a good price point. With everyone experiencing some good shaves, it appears that their QA is up to snuff, too. I've had 4 DFS shaves with my first blade, and I'm on the fence if I should push it or switch to a new one.

Just unpacked my blades today. I think it came a couple of days ago, but I just returned home today. I also received my two new base plates from WCS and so loaded one of the blades with the Toothsome base plate and the Pent head. Because I am on the one blade challenge, I used the Elios on my ATG pass and my one blade on my WTG and XTG passes.

Maybe trying out a blade I am not familiar with in a razor base plate I am not familiar with was not a great idea. The shave was a little on the rough side that left a little more stubble than I expected on a second pass and a new blade. Tomorrow I will use the Elios on the WTG pass and use the WCS Brawny plate and see if things improve.

Shave 3-Blackbird; MWF soap
Not much different BBS. Mid sharp blade. In my book Shark Super Stainless. I’ll switch to the Karve D plate OC tomorrow. So far I’m buying

Shave #4 (Wednesday)
Razor: Rockwell 6S (R4)
Soap: Tabac
Brush: Yaqi Badger

DFS again, but a little rougher than before. I was running a little late this morning and kind of rushed through my shave, so likely user error rather than the blade. Still ok, just a bit more feedback from the AS than before. I'll give it another shot again tomorrow.

Shave #5--So, I went back to the Silver Star 3 piece razor but honed a new blade prior to dropping it in. That appears to be the ticket. I used Chiseled Face Sherlock and had a DFS with no irritation, just smooth shaving. The other explanation could be the first blade I used was a dud (that does happen). After a few shaves with this blade and a few more with the one in the Rockwell, I will switch the Rockwell blade with a new one without using the hone and see how it shapes up. However, assuming the first blade was not a dud, I would say this is an incredible blade once honed, a very scratchy one without.

Shave #4 Mission Report.

Elios surveyed the battlefield. His foxhole companion, Pal Molive looked spent. It was obvious he'd was knocking on the door of being 3017'ed, but he assured his buddy had enough energy for one last charge. Together they leaped from the foxhole and charged the enemy line!

Whiskers like barbed-wire covered the battlefield. Pal laid down a thick wet cover fire, and the enemy was no match for the formidable pair. When their charge was over they stood atop Hill BBS and surveyed the damage. Pal Molive was toast. His empty Anchor Hocking container was going to be shipped back behind the lines with resupply. Elios himself was battered and bruised. He could tell today he had lost a step as he traversed the battlefield. Checking in with Command he reported that he felt he had at least one more good charge in him, and that after a night of rest he'd be good to go in the morning. Command assured him he'd have a chance for another go at the enemy in the morning, and that they would be sending him another trusted companion from battles past ... Corporal Klar Kabinett!

Shave # 4
Razor- Karve D plate OC
Soap- Mystic Water Sandalwood
Brush- Omega Boar

This was the best shave of the four. BBS for sure. There was some drag using the Blackbird that I didn't realize was there until I switched to the Karve, which produce an extremely smooth shave. A much better pairing.

Shave #4 Mission Report.

Elios surveyed the battlefield. His foxhole companion, Pal Molive looked spent. It was obvious he'd was knocking on the door of being 3017'ed, but he assured his buddy had enough energy for one last charge. Together they leaped from the foxhole and charged the enemy line!

Whiskers like barbed-wire covered the battlefield. Pal laid down a thick wet cover fire, and the enemy was no match for the formidable pair. When their charge was over they stood atop Hill BBS and surveyed the damage. Pal Molive was toast. His empty Anchor Hocking container was going to be shipped back behind the lines with resupply. Elios himself was battered and bruised. He could tell today he had lost a step as he traversed the battlefield. Checking in with Command he reported that he felt he had at least one more good charge in him, and that after a night of rest he'd be good to go in the morning. Command assured him he'd have a chance for another go at the enemy in the morning, and that they would be sending him another trusted companion from battles past ... Corporal Klar Kabinett!
Excellent.
Here are two of my FireKing weaponry.
5457498E-A90C-41A1-9439-B8F9EC0DC9FA.jpeg

Top Bottom