What's new

Participation PIF - Czech Out These Blades

Shave nine with the Tatra blade, this time loaded in my vintage flat bottom Merkur (kind of like a non adjustable Progress). WTG took a while to find the correct angle because the blade feel was almost non existent. To be honest, this razor was always this way. ATG took some buffing to complete, especially the area under the chin. This was probably more of the blade nearing the end of it's useful life, as the Merkur always did well going ATG. Again, a minimal XTG pass just under the chin area, and I ended up with a pretty good BBS. I will push the blade one last time tomorrow night, but I have to admit that the Tatra has exceeded all my expectations.

Czech tiger shave #3 (blade 1).

Comfort: Excellent
Closeness: Good
Durability: 1 more shave to go

Tested the blade this morning on a different razor, it's a Baili tech clone (3 pieces). It's a new razor, but I'm very familiar with that head, I have a TTO Baili with the same geometry, I have an ASD2 which is a very close design and I love both. Same soap and brush as yesterday (proraso green, omega), no preshave no after.

From a comfort standpoint the blade remains on a high level, tomorrow it will pass my 4 shaves threshold easily, I'm not the most demanding tester from the durability standpoint. It could be a blade in my daily rotation with zero problems from any point of view.

One more day on this one, and then Tatra.....

Tiger Platinum Edge 2 Shave 1. Wilkinson Sword Classic (plastic), Cella

It was...ok. Maybe not quite as good as the Tatra, now I'm trying them back-to-back, but maybe I was just in a funny mood this morning.

Partly due to all of the PIFs @Grundi has been organising (with additional thanks to @Space_Cadet and @Toothpick ), I've been shaving with some very accomplished blades just lately. Maybe I need to dig out some Flying Eagles to remind myself what I'm missing. But my powers of description, poor to begin with, are beginning to really struggle.

I didn't seem to get any irritation like I got with the first shave on the first edge on this blade, so that was nice.

Tiger Platinum #1, shave #1
Timeless SS .95 scalloped
Speick stick

This is my first shave with the Tiger, and I must say that after the Tatra I had high expectations. I was disappointed. The blade felt rough and and did not yield a very good shave. Like the Tatra there is no irritation, but the Tiger was uncomfortable to use.

Though I have so far used the two different blades with two different razors, it would be very hard to convince me that the tiger and tatra are the same blades with different packaging.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Maybe I need to dig out some Flying Eagles...

DoIt.jpg

Are these the same blades in different packaging?
Here's a product description of the Tiger blades from Gemstone Trading in the UK:

1590693109925.png

(My emphasis in red above.)

My guess as to most of the reviews stating that they are different blades... would be that that's due to the use of different pre-shave routines (and software where applicable), different soaps/creams and lathering methods, different razors (not to mention mood, day of the week), etc.

BUT, having extensive experience in making mistakes... I've just ordered 10 of each to try them out for myself. I will use a fixed routine and software and hardware throughout (barring the blades of course).

Interesting info above.
Tatara # 5 or 6?
I did first pass head shave w 2 different razors: RR baby smooth with Crystal #5 (it was smooth but did NOT remove much of 3d stubble). Other half: Schick TTO + Silver Star #2, longer stubble.
Soap was RR What the Puck
Brush Sagrada Familia
And to save the shave: Tatara blade in a Gillette New LC, did 2 passes more. Smooth going and close shave.
AS: Proraso green
AB: AquaVelva 5-1.

Tatara saved this shave!

Thanks for the chance to try some blades that are new to me! So I have no preconceptions whatsoever.

PURPOSE. To give each option a fair trial, answer the question and pick a favorite.

METHODS.

Prep:
Hot shower then CereVe face wash.

Razor: Wolfman WR1/WRH2 handle.

Brush: 2 or 3-band badger from my rotation.

Soap: Cella for blade 1, then assorted Fine options for blade 2.

After: Floid vigoroso for blade 1, then La Toja splash for blade 2.

Rating: My usual 10 point system after each shave.

RESULTS.

TATRA blade 1
Shave #1: 8
Shave #2: 8.5
Shave #3: 8.5
Shave #4: 8.5
Shave #5: 8.5
Shave #6: 8.5
Shave #7: 8.5
average: 8.4

Tiger blade 1
Shave #1: 7.5
Shave #2: 8
Shave #3: 7.5
Shave #4: 7.5
Shave #5: 7.5
Shave #6: 8
Shave #7: 7
average: 7.6

TATRA blade 2
Shave #1: 8.5
Shave #2: 9
Shave #3: 9
Here's a product description of the Tiger blades from Gemstone Trading in the UK:

View attachment 1106213
(My emphasis in red above.)

My guess as to most of the reviews stating that they are different blades... would be that that's due to the use of different pre-shave routines (and software where applicable), different soaps/creams and lathering methods, different razors (not to mention mood, day of the week), etc.

BUT, having extensive experience in making mistakes... I've just ordered 10 of each to try them out for myself. I will use a fixed routine and software and hardware throughout (barring the blades of course).

INTERESTING!! Is there that much batch to batch variation???

So, try both then tell us if you think they are different. (PLEASE!)

Tenth and final shave with the Tatra blade tonight. This time I loaded it into an EJ 3one6. Blade was exceptionally smooth except when going WTG under my chin area, where it turned rough. this was the first time it did this on a WTG pass. ATG went very well, and I did not experience the tugging I sometimes did on the ATG passes before. As mild a shaver as the 3one6 is, I was still able to get by with a two pass plus touch up BBS. Great shave to send off an exceptional blade. If this was one of my own, I could see using it for a couple more shave.

I am seriously thinking of pulling another Tiger blade for Monday just because I see where some folks are saying that it shaves well and so I want to see if I just got a bad blade with the first one.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Tenth and final shave with the Tatra blade tonight. This time I loaded it into an EJ 3one6. Blade was exceptionally smooth except when going WTG under my chin area, where it turned rough. this was the first time it did this on a WTG pass. ATG went very well, and I did not experience the tugging I sometimes did on the ATG passes before. As mild a shaver as the 3one6 is, I was still able to get by with a two pass plus touch up BBS. Great shave to send off an exceptional blade. If this was one of my own, I could see using it for a couple more shave.

I am seriously thinking of pulling another Tiger blade for Monday just because I see where some folks are saying that it shaves well and so I want to see if I just got a bad blade with the first one.
You really might have. I REALLY looked mine over (which doesn't mean much, as I don't have a loupe) but it appeared to be fine, and has shaved just a hair below the Tatra for me. I'm going to try it tomorrow (that's the plan, if my lungs agree!) and will be sure to report back!

3rd shave with the tiger blade and JAWS. This was an uneventful, smooth shave. Thank you again @Grundi for sending me these to try. After this blade is done I’ll run through both again with a (for me) milder razor and see how the mindless shaves perform. I do like both but there is something to be said about being able to throw the razor around my face without thinking that I do enjoy sometimes.

Thanks for the chance to try some blades that are new to me! So I have no preconceptions whatsoever.

PURPOSE. To give each option a fair trial, answer the question and pick a favorite.

METHODS.

Prep:
Hot shower then CereVe face wash.

Razor: Wolfman WR1/WRH2 handle.

Brush: 2 or 3-band badger from my rotation.

Soap: Cella for blade 1, then assorted Fine options for blade 2.

After: Floid vigoroso for blade 1, then La Toja splash for blade 2.

Rating: My usual 10 point system after each shave.

RESULTS.

TATRA blade 1
Shave #1: 8
Shave #2: 8.5
Shave #3: 8.5
average: 8.4

Tiger blade 1
Shave #1: 7.5
Shave #2: 8
Shave #3: 7.5
Shave #4: 7.5
Shave #5: 7.5
Shave #6: 8
Shave #7: 7
average: 7.6

TATRA blade 2
Shave #1: 8.5
Shave #2: 9
Shave #3: 9
average: 8.6

Tatra is dead. Pulling on first stroke.
Finished with a straight.
Nine very nice shaves out of 1/2 a blade. Very good durability for me from these blades. They were smooth and sharp till the very end.

Tiger blade starts Sun. Have a good weekend everyone.

Tiger #1 shave #2
Timeless .95 SS
1805 soap

Today was better than yesterday, but still not great. End result is ok, but the blade felt rough, though less so than yesterday. Still not convinced these are the same blades as each other. If they are, then variation in quality is pretty awful.

I'm going to try sticking with this blade another shave or two before giving up on it. If I had paid for it, it would have gotten tossed after shave #1.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Tatra/Tiger SOTD

SOTD-OS-FS-Ta-VR-PR-W_2020-05-29.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Shavemac Olive Wood 20/44 Silvertip 2-Band
Soap: Vitos Red
Razor: Fatip Lo Storto Originale with custom olive wood handle
Blade: Tatra Platinum (1)
ASL: Proraso Red

As this is an experiment I was focusing pretty intently on the blade. It certainly "feels" a lot different to my usual Polsilver SIs/Wizamet ISs, but different in a way I can't explain... not good or bad different, just different. I guess I'll get to know it better after a few more shaves.

The shave itself was just fine, ending up with my usual BBS. :cornut:

Surprisingly, when I slapped on the good ol' Proraso Red ASL there was only the teeniest tingle... a bit less than I'm used to. Maybe that was due to my awareness of a new and different blade, I guess I'll find out over the next few shaves.

For the sake of the experiment all parameters of, and equipment for, each shave will remain the same. I'm going to use @BigJ's 10 Point rating system for the shave quality:

RESULTS:

TATRA Blade 1

Shave #1: 9.5

Tiger shave #4 (blade 1).

Comfort: Excellent
Closeness: Very good
Durability: 4 shaves test passed

Today I changed the setup a bit again, using a beautiful blue Yaqi Mellon just arrived from aliexpress. It's a very mild open comb head, the geometry is totally new to me. I believe the blade benefited a lot from a slightly more aggressive setup, didn't loose anything in comfort but gained something in efficiency.

I tossed the blade after the fourth shave, overall the best one of the four. Very curious to see how the Tatra will compare.

Tatra shave #1 (blade 1).

Comfort: -
Closeness: -
Durability: 3 shaves to go

Setup: R89, proraso green, Omega badger, no pre, no after

I found the first impact with Tatra less enjoyable than the first impact with Tiger, I want to test the blade again tomorrow before giving any "formal" feedback on how it feels.

Top Bottom