What's new

Participation PIF - Czech Out These Blades

Fifth shave tonight with the Tatra blade. This time I loaded it into a lowly Gibbs #12 razor. I was totally surprised that the Tatra performed extremely well with this razor. WTG pass was totally a phantom pass where I had to look to make sure a blade was loaded. ATG pass had some blade feel, but not much. I was able to get away with minimal touch up instead of doing an XTG pass along the jaw line and under the chin. I was extremely impressed with tonight's shave, and considering that this was the fifth shave with this blade, I am even more impressed. I ended up with a two pass plus minimal touch up BBS.

I have the Tatra loaded in my CG SS Lvl3 for tomorrow's shave.

Tiger Shave #1
Razor: Razorock SLOC on MR5
Soap: Proraso Red
Brush: Yaqi Purple Haze
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman

Didn't know what to expect with this blade after reading all the reports. I think it's fairly close, maybe a somewhat sharper like you would expect a tiger to be. The sloc could've helped tame it a little. All 3 passes went well and fairly smooth.

Tiger Stainless (old yellow pack) edge 1 shave 5. Wilkinson Sword Classic (plastic), Art of Shaving Lavender soap

This was a really tuggy, quite uncomfortable shave. Really I should have abandoned it and opened that Tatra that's been patiently waiting in my bathroom cabinet, but I'm a stubborn so-and-so. Despite the discomfort, however, I got a really clean shave with no residual irritation.

Tatra begins on Tuesday.

Are these the same blades in different packaging?

Thanks for the chance to try some blades that are new to me! So I have no preconceptions whatsoever.

PURPOSE. To give each option a fair trial, answer the question and pick a favorite.

METHODS.

Prep:
Hot shower then CereVe face wash.

Razor: Wolfman WR1/WRH2 handle.

Brush: 2 or 3-band badger from my rotation.

Soap: Cella for blade 1, then assorted Fine options for blade 2.

After: Floid vigoroso for blade 1, then La Toja splash for blade 2.

Rating: My usual 10 point system after each shave.

RESULTS.

TATRA blade 1
Shave #1: 8
Shave #2: 8.5
Shave #3: 8.5
Shave #4: 8.5
Shave #5: 8.5
Shave #6: 8.5
Shave #7: 8.5
average: 8.4

Tiger blade 1
Shave #1: 7.5
Shave #2: 8
Shave #3: 7.5
Shave #4: 7.5
Shave #5: 7.5
Shave #6: 8
Shave #7: 7
average: 7.6

TATRA blade 2
Shave #1: 8.5
Shave #2: 9

The continuing experiment...

Prep.: PAA Cube 2.0 pre-shave soap, non scented.
Soap: Cella Red, Marco method, face lathered
Brush: Zenith horse hair
Razor Blade: Tiger Platinum. (2nd use). Flipped blade.
Razor: Rockwell 6s, plate 3
Gentleman Jon Alum Block
Thayers Witch Hazel Coconut water
Cella Aftershave Balm
PAA Chella Cool menthol aftershave

Sorry for the long delay between shaves. Earlier this week, while clearing brush and plants out of my backyard, I came in contact with poison something or other- I can never tell ivy, oak or sumuc...My Eagle Scout son wasn't around to help... In any event, I wasn't expecting it to be growing in such ample supply in my suburban backyard. Whatever it was , it covered me in a severe rash, including my face. I quit shaving while I put on the necessary creams and ointments. I also discovered, to my horror, that having a poison ivy outbreak inside of my navel is a grievously bad place to have it. Funny, in light of current events, I should have been wearing a mask... And most certainly, a shirt...
I digress.

So anyway with a 5 day beard, looking like Clint Eastwood in a spaghetti western, I got back into the shave experiment. I had some thought to shaving today with something else, just to keep a level playing field, but decided against it. This would be a better test.

Post shower, with poison ivy soap no less, and while listening to an audio book about the Dyatlov Pass Incident, I plunged ahead.

The first pass, WTG, was amazing. This blade plowed through heavy whiskers like they weren't there. Rubbing my face while rinsing after the first pass, I was shocked that everything was already gone, save for my usual trouble spots.

The second pass, and final pass resulted in a DFS shave all the way around. I presume I could have gone for 4 to upgrade the shave, but my skin is still recovering from the vaguely leprotic looking lesions earlier this week so I thought the better of it...

My conclusion today is that this really is a top tier blade. It won't replace my hoarded Polsilver Iridiums, or my daily use Dorco Prime Platinums or Silver Stars, but this is a fine blade.

I am gratified to read others comments that they too are having differing experiences between what are ostensibly the same blades. I don't believe they are. The Tatra's are just not working as well for me, and the Tiger's are proving superior, even under load. As always,YMMV...

I'll continue tomorrow on the final last shaves.. Blades are cheap, in this case free (Thanks again, Grundi!!), And I am a three and out kinda guy...

Have a great shave this beautiful Sunday...

Peace to You and Yours

DCJ

Tatra #1 shave 10.
QShave adjustable.
Cooper & French Fresh Start
Florida Water

Not my favorite razor, but thought I should see how the blade does in it.
Cooper & French is a really nice soap. All 3 shaves with this first sample and the Tatra blade, 3 different razors, have been good. And I am still learning the soap.

I’m still getting a DFS shave with 3 passes on this blade.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I'm trying to think of a family friendly comparison of how cheap I am, and can't. I'm a product of a misspent youth, sorry.

Oh wait a minute: heard Mr Tennessee Ernie Ford use this at the now defunct "Chesaning Showboat": he said someone was "tighter than a thumb up a pig's nose."

So I like to get my money's worth, even if I didn't pay for it.

So today I finally shaved, and it must have been a 5, possibly a 6 day beard! Yeah, you're right, I'm just on B and B for the other topics! Some of you people crack me up!

So, I used the Tatra, shave number two. Used MY synthetic brush that @Graydog probably already regrets giving me, and the flippin' wonderful shave cream that I will go take a picture of, that @Space_Cadet sent me from the land of Jacob/Israel:
: 15903639511066893099327913400260.jpg
:159036452776460951867102259123.jpg
I obviously don't know, but this has generic/army surplus written all over it, lol.
Maybe he will tell us.

Used my H2 Tech, hot towel on my extremely handsome face, and face lathered. Wow! Again! Right after the shave I would have given it a rating of 9.5 or so. Close, but not perfect.

Went over to my mother in law's house and mowed a little, came home and again, washed my incredibly handsome face, reapplied some old Avon Spicy, and would you believe: it's now a perfect 10.0000 ! As BBS as possible.

I may even let the War Department sniff my face tonight! Maybe. Thanks for your vote in November, Dave

PS: Ole Space Cadet may have converted me to creams!

Sixth shave with the Tatra. Tonight I loaded it in my CG SS Lvl3 razor. I had to take it slow as there was significant blade feel, which is not unusual for the Lvl3 plate. Some of the blade feel could have been because the blade was on it's sixth shave. WTG pass went well with much blade feel and great efficiency. ATG pass was where I had to slow down and use short deliberate strokes. In the end, this was a two pass with very minimal touch up BBS.

I am thinking of pushing the blade for at least one, maybe two more shaves. I am totally impressed with this blade.

Tatara 5
Schone
Proraso Red cream
Omega Mighty Midget
3 passes
Slight irritation
AS Proraso Red
AB Aramis

A good shave. I think this is a good blade!; it will not replace my Nacets, but it's a good one. I think I could use it for more shaves, but life is too short!

FarmerTan

Sixth shave with the Tatra. Tonight I loaded it in my CG SS Lvl3 razor. I had to take it slow as there was significant blade feel, which is not unusual for the Lvl3 plate. Some of the blade feel could have been because the blade was on it's sixth shave. WTG pass went well with much blade feel and great efficiency. ATG pass was where I had to slow down and use short deliberate strokes. In the end, this was a two pass with very minimal touch up BBS.

I am thinking of pushing the blade for at least one, maybe two more shaves. I am totally impressed with this blade.
It totally surprises me. Never heard of a Tatra before.

FarmerTan

Tatara 5
Schone
Proraso Red cream
Omega Mighty Midget
3 passes
Slight irritation
AS Proraso Red
AB Aramis

A good shave. I think this is a good blade!; it will not replace my Nacets, but it's a good one. I think I could use it for more shaves, but life is too short!
Nacets shocked me at how good they are. If I had someone load my razor I doubt that I could tell the difference between it and a GSB.

Kit: Fatip Piccolo SE , Tiger (5) , Arko, Omega S10083 S-Brush Pro.

As I felt that the blade was tiring on shave (4) in the Rockwell I switched razors. Sadly it did not improve the blade - it took quite a bit of work to get good clearance which has caused significant patches of irritation here and there and very faint roughness. User error? Perhaps pushing a bit too hard, but the fact that I had to tells me that the blade has now had it. The first three shaves were very good in the Rockwell and the next time I try a Tiger it will be in the Piccolo from the beginning.

Closed another challenge I was involved with this morning, tomorrow finally it will be time for a Czech shave. Will go thru the thread later today to try understanding which one I should test first. Any suggestions on where to start from?

7th Tiger shave this A.M. I got a fairly decent shave but, the blade is missing some stubble. The first Tiger blade I used was only good for three shaves but, this Tiger did way better.! I'm going to bin it & go back to a Tatra for Tomorrows shave.

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
this has generic/army surplus written all over it

Ahah, lol. No, actually this cream has no connection whatsoever to the army and it is not generic. It is an old formula and was previously marketed under "Lavandor" brand name. I have no idea why they stopped using that name. I personally think it is a very good cream and a few other members also liked it.

Are these the same blades in different packaging?

Thanks for the chance to try some blades that are new to me! So I have no preconceptions whatsoever.

PURPOSE. To give each option a fair trial, answer the question and pick a favorite.

METHODS.

Prep:
Hot shower then CereVe face wash.

Razor: Wolfman WR1/WRH2 handle.

Brush: 2 or 3-band badger from my rotation.

Soap: Cella for blade 1, then assorted Fine options for blade 2.

After: Floid vigoroso for blade 1, then La Toja splash for blade 2.

Rating: My usual 10 point system after each shave.

RESULTS.

TATRA blade 1
Shave #1: 8
Shave #2: 8.5
Shave #3: 8.5
Shave #4: 8.5
Shave #5: 8.5
Shave #6: 8.5
Shave #7: 8.5
average: 8.4

Tiger blade 1
Shave #1: 7.5
Shave #2: 8
Shave #3: 7.5
Shave #4: 7.5
Shave #5: 7.5
Shave #6: 8
Shave #7: 7
average: 7.6

TATRA blade 2
Shave #1: 8.5
Shave #2: 9
Shave #3: 9

First shave this morning from Grundi’s generous PIF: Tatra blade in Tatara Masamune OC razor. Soap was Stirling Sheep. For preshave, just warm water splash.

Usually, the 1st shave with a new blade is tricky for me. Not this morning. Near-BBS with no scrapes, nicks or tugging. It was like the 2nd or 3rd shave with one of my go-to Silver Blues or Polsilvers. The soap and the razor contributed to the good experience, but a smooth and efficient blade is also necessary.

So we’re off to a good start. Tomorrow, same setup with Pre de Provence soap and maybe Cella Rapida as preshave.

FarmerTan

Ahah, lol. No, actually this cream has no connection whatsoever to the army and it is not generic. It is an old formula and was previously marketed under "Lavandor" brand name. I have no idea why they stopped using that name. I personally think it is a very good cream and a few other members also liked it.
It is a wonderful product, but the packaging reminds me of "Equate" brand from Walmart!

Top Bottom