What's new

Participation PIF - Czech Out These Blades

Rusty:

Tiger Shave #2

Same gear, prep and growth as shave #1.

Tonight’s shave was hands down the best shave I have had with either of the two blades being evaluated. Outside of this comparison, I have found Gillette Platinum and Bic Chrome Platinums to be my best and most comfortable blades. Tonight’s shave with the Tiger was right there with my best. I found that this blade, like feathers, smooths our a lot after the first shave and made the second shave so comfortable. Efficiency has been good, I have spent what I feel like is almost no time touching up or buffing outside of doing my standard two passes.

My opinion after this shave is open to change and may put these blades down for some consideration. I want to see how long this blade lasts in a similarly smooth and efficient state. If this blade can reach 6 shaves, this may end up serving as my backup to Gillette platinums since the price has nearly doubled on those since my last purchase.

One last and final note about tonight’s shave... Once again, I have achieved a glorious irritation free and damned comfortable shave with and against the grain on my neck. This speaks volumes for how well the tiger blade is working for me

proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blade Wars - Shave 4
On the first pass, silver was smooth and light. It felt like it was gliding over, rather than removing the whiskers. It made me think of how so many DE shavers talk about beard reduction rather than beard removal. Black felt like it was cutting better - removing more whiskers - although it dragged at times.

On the second, across the grain, pass, I could feel silver cutting more. Black was smooth, making me think it had done the work on its first pass.

I did a third, against the grain, pass. Big difference. Silver was light and smooth. Very nice. Black prickled on my neck and dragged considerably on my cheeks. It feels dull.

Tiger Stainless, edge 1, shave 3. Rapira Tech, Cosy Cottage Patchouli & Lemongrass soap

This soap hasn't fully redeemed itself, but today was much better than Thursday. I'm not sure if it was the fact it had bloomed a little, or I worked it harder (it's quite a hard soap). It still tended towards going AWOL during the shave, but didn't disappear completely this time.

It was an uncomfortable shave, and I felt raw for an hour or two after, but there was no redness and it was a really close finish. Again, the blade has impressed despite the soap.

Are these the same blades in different packaging?

Thanks for the chance to try some blades that are new to me! So I have no preconceptions whatsoever.

PURPOSE. To give each option a fair trial, answer the question and pick a favorite.

METHODS.

Prep:
Hot shower then CereVe face wash.

Razor: Wolfman WR1/WRH2 handle.

Brush: 2 or 3-band badger from my rotation.

Soap: Cella for blade 1, then assorted Fine options for blade 2.

After: Floid vigoroso for blade 1, then La Toja splash for blade 2.

Rating: My usual 10 point system after each shave.

RESULTS.

TATRA blade 1
Shave #1: 8
Shave #2: 8.5
Shave #3: 8.5
Shave #4: 8.5
Shave #5: 8.5
Shave #6: 8.5
Shave #7: 8.5
average: 8.4

Tiger blade 1
Shave #1: 7.5

Yeah, that's pretty alarming. :blink:

Luckily, I haven't seen corrosion on the three blades that I've tested. In fact, they all look much cleaner than when they came out of their wrappers. (That wax they use is quite sticky.)

They've received the same post-shave treatment that I use for any blade: Take the blade out of the razor, rinse it under warm water, pat it on a towel (no wiping or rubbing), lay it gently in its wax wrapper, and put it back on a shelf in the medicine cabinet.

If anything, my routine and bathroom environment should be conducive to having rust form on the blades. But, in 30+ years, not a spot. Anyway, here's a photo...

From left to right: Tatra Blade #1 (9 uses); Tiger Blade #1 (7 uses); Tiger Blade #2 (1 use).

proxy.php
Looking at the wings on the Tatra Blade, those punch corners are SHARP!!! You can seen smaller ones on the Tiger Blades. I first noticed this on the first Tiger Blade that I tried. It doesn't matter in open space, but when you get close to important areas - nostrils, ears, and, um, uh, important areas - you have to be real careful!!

Tiger blade 1, shave 2.

Since today was only one day growth instead of two, I changed up my setup. My razor was the merkur 37c with GFT Eucris soap and an Omega brush (no clue what model it is; I got it on closeout and its my first bowr brush).

20200516_053233.jpg

Overall, the shave was average. When I shave one day growth, I need a sharp razor. Longer growth can be more flexible, but not one day. The blade was smooth with no tugging. Also, no nicks or weepers. But the sharpness just wasn't there. That's not a bad thing for me as most blades cannot cut the short stubble. I'm going to let it grow for 2 days to see if that's the issue.

I give the shave a 6. Good that it was smooth and now nicks or weepers, but not higher because it didn't cut my growth. We'll see what the blade brings on Monday.

My aim is to shave with each blade in 10 different razors, and with a different soap and aftershave every day. No real science here.

Tiger Shave #7 - Friday
Razor: RazoRock Game Changer .84
Soap: Proraso White
A/S: Proraso White Balm

Two things I've learned: 1) EVERYONE needs a Game Changer, and 2) it's extremely difficult to beat the consistency of Proraso soaps. Today was another great shave with no tugging and no irritation. I'm honestly surprised by how well this one Tiger blade is holding up through so many shaves, and I'm starting to eye the bulk packs. The GC84 is awesome. It's so well made, and I love the low profile head and overall aesthetics. It's an industrial beauty. As for the Proraso soap, it's the brand I started with back in November and I measure all other soaps by its performance. Dang, I love this style of shaving!

IMG_1402.jpeg

My aim is to shave with each blade in 10 different razors, and with a different soap and aftershave every day. No real science here.

Tiger Shave #8 - Saturday
Razor: Mühle Rocca R96 v4
Soap: Stirling Green
A/S: Brut

Another fantastic shave, but I think the sharpness may finally be waning. It took an uncharacteristic third pass to achieve DFS with the Rocca today. Odd, indeed. Still smooth, and still no tugging, but it left more stubble even though I was getting great feedback with each stroke. We'll see how the R41 fares tomorrow, followed by the Charcoal Goods on Monday.

IMG_1404.jpeg

5th shave with the Tatra blade and JAWS razor. Another very good shave. The previously mentioned irritation from the first few shaves is gone, blade is still fairly sharp. I’m noticing the ATG pass is beginning to tug just a bit but confident it will be fine for at least two more shaves. My ONLY concern at all with purchasing bulk of this blade would be a confidence in quality control vs my luck of the draw with this/these 3 blades. Time will tell. Thanks again @Grundi

Ninth shave with Tatra Platinum Blade #1

May 15
: Maggard V3.

All three passes (WTG, ATG, XTG) were smooth and worry-free. Still baffled by how different the Tatra and Tiger blades are from each other, despite coming off the same production line.

With the Tatra, I can shave without paying too much attention because it's so smooth and forgiving. But, with the Tiger, I have to shave slowly and deliberately because one slip turns your face into hamburger. Truly a YMMV affair!

Anyway, this blade is still providing excellent shaves, day after day. I'm going to keep using it to see when the performance finally drops off.

Second shave with Tiger Platinum Blade #2

May 16
: Maggard V3.

I was going to stop using the Tiger blades, but felt that I should use the second blade at least one more time to see if its performance mirrored that of the first blade.

Today's shave was similar to the previous one: rough, but efficient. Afterwards, I had some irritation along my jawline and under my chin. This is almost identical to the results I got with the second shave on the first Tiger blade. This confirms to me that the entire brand shares these characteristics rather than just being quirks of individual blades.

Tatara #3
well this gets getting better
RR Lupo
Soap: Kiss my Face Lavander (did not like this one bit)
Sagrada Familia
Witch Hazel medicated
AS Brut
AB Proraso white
3 pass shave, 2 day growth. First pass I was concerned...lather was mediocre and the razor was skipping...almost quit.
Second pass was very smooth and third ATG was also smooth. Today I had almost no irritation. All in all great shave.
9/10

Only wish I could say the same about my head shave, used a Fatip Slant w Crystal#5(one of my favs), but after 2 passes I had too much stubble left....had to finish w Gillette Skin Guard...was fed up.

2nd shave with a Tiger (new blade):

Rating: 5 / 5

Razor: Merkur Progress (3.5)
Blade: Tiger Platinum (1)
Brush: Simpson's Special Best Badger
Lather: Arko Stick
Aftershave: Ogallala Bay Rum, Limes, and Peppercorns

Got a BBS this time. I'm inclined to believe the less close shave I experienced last time may have had more to do with the mildness of the 41c than the blade, because this was a good, close shave. This is the second Tiger I've used and I've had enjoyable, comfortable shaves with both. So far, I've found the Tiger to be on par with the Tatra.

I bought 50 Tiger and 50 Tatra having used neither before - I hope Grundi will forgive me for not having joined in the official PIF.

Today was shave 1 on a Tiger, and it delivered a DFS without any effort for a truly comfortable shave. That's what I'd call a good start! I'm keen to find out how long the blade will last.

Oh yes - I was using a Rockwell 6c on R6, Arko and my Omega S10083 S-Brush Pro.

Last edited:
Are these the same blades in different packaging?

Thanks for the chance to try some blades that are new to me! So I have no preconceptions whatsoever.

PURPOSE. To give each option a fair trial, answer the question and pick a favorite.

METHODS.

Prep:
Hot shower then CereVe face wash.

Razor: Wolfman WR1/WRH2 handle.

Brush: 2 or 3-band badger from my rotation.

Soap: Cella for blade 1, then assorted Fine options for blade 2.

After: Floid vigoroso for blade 1, then La Toja splash for blade 2.

Rating: My usual 10 point system after each shave.

RESULTS.

TATRA blade 1
Shave #1: 8
Shave #2: 8.5
Shave #3: 8.5
Shave #4: 8.5
Shave #5: 8.5
Shave #6: 8.5
Shave #7: 8.5
average: 8.4

Tiger blade 1
Shave #1: 7.5
Shave #2: 8

Last night was my sixth (and final) shave with my Tiger blade. With all the talk of the Alpha Outlaw razor, I decided to load the Tiger blade in my Magard v.3A/RR Mentor clone head (supposedly the Alpha uses that design) just to remember the shave it gives. I was very surprised at the results.

WTG pass was very efficient. There was significant blade feel, but that is the character of the razor head. There was no tugging though and the pass cleared more than the other five razors. ATG pass went smoothly, probably because so much was cleared with the WTG pass. After that, there was very minimal touch up. I thought about using the Tiger blade one more time, but thought that it was better to quit while I was ahead. This is definitely a Jekyll/Hyde blade where it worked great in two razors (the Maggard v.3A clone and the Mamba 70), and totally sucked in the other four.

On to the Tatra on Monday.

I do not participate in the PIF, but maybe there is an explanation...

Some time ago I received 5 blades "Tiger" which I had never used. Reading this thread, I started using them three days ago. My thought was to compare the results of this PIF with mine. I also wanted to rotate my razors every day to find the best combo for this blade.

Today would be my third day to use with a X3 razor. Yesterday (second day) I used it with Fatip Piccolo OC. Changing the blade from Fatip Piccolo, I noticed the blade was full of RUST!

I used a new blade to my X3, just to see what happens concerning the rust in the next days. Here is a picture
View attachment 1100233
Tiger also makes carbon blades in red? wrappers. Was this one in a grey wrapper, which is the stainless one?

Tiger Shave #9 - Sunday
Razor: Mühle R41 Twist
Soap: Pre de Provence No. 63
A/S: Clubman

Yep, I'd say the sharpness has fallen off a bit. There was a little drag on both passes and moderate aftershave feedback, plus my neck isn't as close as I'd like. Didn't want to risk irritation with a third pass, so I'm leaving it as is. Still, I can't complain. Nine shaves on a single razor is something I never really do, and I'm really impressed that it's still going.

IMG_1405.jpeg

The continuing experiment...

Prep.: PAA Cube 2.0 pre-shave soap, non scented.
Soap: Cella Red, Marco method, face lathered
Brush: Zenith horse hair
Razor Blade: Tatra Platinum. (2nd use). Flipped blade.
Razor: Rockwell 6s, plate 3
Gentleman Jon Alum Block
Thayers Witch Hazel Coconut water
Cella Aftershave Balm
PAA Chella Cool menthol aftershave

The second shave with Tatra blade showed a noticeable decrease in the sharpness of the blade. I noticed more tugging, this time even when going WTG. It wasn't enough to stop shaving and switch the blade out, and I think I can get at least one more shave out of it, but this blade is going downhill pretty fast. Oddly enough, while I got a fair amount of sting from the alum block, I again wound up with a DFS all the way around- I just had to work harder, and slower for it...

I would still place this as a middle tier blade for me, and one I would likely not want to buy in a larger quantity, unlike its sibling. I am still reasoning out why it is so apparently inferior to the Tiger blade, as they supposed to be the same. I am certainly keeping all of the variables the same. The EXACT same. This has led to the discovery that the reason why I have dozens of soaps, balms, aftershaves and accoutrements is because using the same thing day after day (in the interest of science...) is like being back in the shaving jail I was released from years ago. It takes the joy out of shaving and it just goes back to being a chore... That was the monotone days of squirting some aerosol Barbasol foam in my hand then ripping & raking over my face with some absurdly expensive multi-blade Gillette monstrosity on its 93rd day of use.
Never look back from wetshaving...

One other thing I am learning from this is how good some folks are around here at writing extremely precise reviews and describing their shaves, most with pictures even. I have no skill whatsoever in this department. I think it's like reviews of wine or cigars - I like reading about them but I can't muster up the adjectives used...not having tasted oak, or leather, or straw, I am unqualified to use them as descriptors, but I certainly admire those who can...

Top Bottom