What's new

Participation PIF - Czech Out These Blades

Tiger Stainless Edge 1 shave 2. Rapira Tech, Stirling Frankincense & Myrrh

Awww, man. I was really looking forward to this shave after having such a good experience on Sunday with the Tiger Plat, but as I popped open my 'spare' Rapira razor it quickly became apparent that my two Rapiras (bought at different times and on different continents) were not in fact identical. The 'newer' one has about double the blade gap, and this morning was an uncomfortable experience, with weepers a go-go.

I don't think I can pin this one on the blade, but it's not making me well disposed towards it.
I hear those "new" Rapira razors are criminal. IT barber sells em for $4 w a warning. I have one but have not tried it.

Are these the same blades in different packaging?

Thanks for the chance to try some blades that are new to me! So I have no preconceptions whatsoever.

PURPOSE. To give each option a fair trial, answer the question and pick a favorite.

METHODS.

Prep:
Hot shower then CereVe face wash.

Razor: Wolfman WR1/WRH2 handle.

Brush: 2 or 3-band badger from my rotation.

Soap: Cella for blade 1, then assorted Fine options for blade 2.

After: Floid vigoroso for blade 1, then La Toja splash for blade 2.

Rating: My usual 10 point system after each shave.

RESULTS.

TATRA blade 1
Shave #1: 8
Shave #2: 8.5
Shave #3: 8.5
Shave #4: 8.5

Day Two with the Tatra Platinum Blade
20200511_130752.jpg

Todays Setup (05-11-2020)
Pre - RazoRock lime Pre-shave cube
Brush - WCS 24mm Synthetic
Lather - Stirling Boat Drinks
Razor - Rockwell 6C - #4 Plate
Blade - Tatra Platinum (shave #2)
Post - RazoRock Ultimate Alum Stick
Post - Thayers Aloe Vera Witch Hazel
Post - Stirling Unscented Menthol shave balm
Aftershave - Stirling Boat Drinks

Day 2 with the Tatra blade, initial impressions, this is a lot smoother than day 2 with the Tiger blade, I did notice the sharpness level seems to have fallen a tad, especially in the trouble areas (chin). I was able to perform my usual 3 pass shave with no faults. I finished with a cold water rinse and alum. The only feedback I received was the chin area and it was minor, nothing like day 2 with the tiger, my entire face was on fire for almost 20 minutes. All in all, it was a decent shave, post feel was good but while applying the balm I noticed a fair amount of stubble on the neck areas, normally my routine is to swap blades when I feel any discomfort. In this case, the blade is still comfortable but just not cutting to the level which I would like, I am going to move on to day 3 with a slight tweak in the hardware.

Day Three with the Tatra Platinum Blade
20200512_093250.jpg

Todays Setup (05-12-2020)
Brush - RazoRock Disruptor
Lather - Stirling Iced Pineapple
Razor - Muhle R-41
Blade - Tatra Platinum (shave #3)
Aftershave - Stirling Iced Pineapple

After having a decent shave on day 2, I decided to move on but with a razor that was a little more aggressive, I moved the Tatra Platinum blade out of the 6C/4 Plate combo to the R-41. Other than the razor swap, the rest of my shave stayed the same, all Stirling products. I was rewarded with a DFS this morning, the blade really shined with a more aggressive razor, yes there was a lot more blade feel and a lot more audible feedback, but the blade remained on the smooth side and definitely removed more stubble than day 1 or day 2. I ended up going with a 2 pass shave this morning only with minor touch-ups on the chin. The overall result was the best shave of the 3, as with the other 2 shaves, I finished with a cold water and alum rinse with zero feedback. I applied a healthy dose of the mentholated aftershave with zero burn, I was very impressed with the shave. As mentioned earlier I am not one to drag out blade life I don't have a magic number of shaves that I look for. When the shave becomes uncomfortable or leaves too much stubble I swap the blade out, the main reason that I switched over to DE shaving was to find a more comfortable shave than cartridges were delivering and a closer shave than my electric was producing. I will be following up on Wednesday for shave # 4 with the Tatra Platinum Blade. and I would also like to send Birthday Greetings to @Grundi, I hope you have an amazing day.

I'm glad to see the overwhelming positive reviews of the Tatra. I totally agree, it's a great blade, probably the best for the money and one of the best overall.
Get easily 7 shaves out of one, and would have no problem to use them more, but for convenience I've settled on 7 shaves, then done and a new one.

Will this be the new, much improved Astra that will be widely used and recommended?

If there are more blades to be had then please count me in. I have never tried any Czech products other than music.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Tatra shave 3. I know I said I was switching to the Tigers, but I love the Tatras. Solid DFS, but the blade has lost its edge. I don't think I can get a 4th shave out of it, which is disappointing. Another 7 for this shave. I swear, I'm switching to the Tiger blade next shave.

My aim is to shave with each blade in 10 different razors, and with a different soap and aftershave every day. No real science here.

Tiger Shave #4 - Tuesday
Razor: Gillette Goodwill #160
Soap: Arko
A/S: Aqua Velva Classic Ice Blue

Okay, I need to spend more time with this razor. I got a two-pass DFS with no touch-ups and minimal buffing, and no aftershave burn. I wonder how it would do in a shootout with my Charcoal Goods Level 2?

The Tiger blade (4th use) did its job again, and again I have no complaints. It still reminds me a lot of Astra SP, but I *think* the Astra might be a touch smoother. I'm paying attention to tugging and harshness against my wiry bristles, but so far there's been none.

IMG_1396.jpeg

Shave three with the Tiger blade. Tonight I loaded it into my vintage Ibsen slant, which is known for it's smoothness and efficiency. Once again, WTG pass was rough, however not as rough as the first two nights. I am not sure if the blade is starting to settle down, or if the slant razor was just stiffening the blade more. ATG pass was not as rough, however it was also not as efficient. I had to do a lot of buffing and skin stretching. Like last night, there was enough stubble to do an XTG pass on the jawline and under my chin. Unlike the Elios where I continued to shave with until it finally gave out, I suspect that this Tiger blade will be replaced when my blade counter reaches six (if not sooner).

Seventh shave with Tatra Platinum Blade #1

May 11
: Maggard V3.

This was the best shave from this blade, yet. Exceptionally smooth and comfortable. Very close with almost no buffing needed. The razor was just gliding over my skin on all three passes (WTG, ATG, XTG).

I'm extremely impressed with the consistency of this blade. Shave after shave, the performance has been top-notch.

Longevity is still a question to be answered, although it is doing a great job, so far. If it can continue to provide smooth shaves without sudden changes in performance, then the Tatra may be a candidate for Excalibur-level usage.

Seventh shave with Tiger Platinum Blade #1

May 12
: Maggard V3.

My previous shave with this blade was excellent, so I was looking forward to a similar performance with today's shave. But, once again, the Tiger has shown that it is both inconsistent and unpredictable.

The WTG pass was reasonably smooth, but the roughness exhibited in previous shaves returned on the ATG and XTG passes. This time, quite a bit of buffing was required on all passes. As before, I found myself working very hard, only to get a mediocre shave.

Therefore, I'm finally done with this blade. When the Tiger comes up in the rotation again, I'll start a new blade. With any luck, the performance will be more consistent. As it is, though, I don't see the Tiger ever matching the Tatra's performance. The next Tiger blade would have to be spectacular to make me change my mind.

Tatra Shave #2
Razor: Merkur 38c barber pole
Soap: Proraso Red
Brush: Yaqi Purple Haze
AS: Pinaud Clubman

Only 2 days growth about this time and no shower like last time so less prep... This was probably a little smoother and better than the 1st. WTG not as close, XTG was good, and ATG was incredibly smooth. Not sure if because I changed razors, V3 is more aggressive, or the blade got less sharp, or longer handle which I like.

Are these the same blades in different packaging?

Thanks for the chance to try some blades that are new to me! So I have no preconceptions whatsoever.

PURPOSE. To give each option a fair trial, answer the question and pick a favorite.

METHODS.

Prep:
Hot shower then CereVe face wash.

Razor: Wolfman WR1/WRH2 handle.

Brush: 2 or 3-band badger from my rotation.

Soap: Cella for blade 1, then assorted Fine options for blade 2.

After: Floid vigoroso for blade 1, then La Toja splash for blade 2.

Rating: My usual 10 point system after each shave.

RESULTS.

TATRA blade 1
Shave #1: 8
Shave #2: 8.5
Shave #3: 8.5
Shave #4: 8.5
Shave #5: 8.5

Razor : EJ DE89
Blade: Tiger (1st use)
Cream: Gillette Pure
Brush: EJ Best Badger
A/S: Stirling Barbershop ASB

Removed about a 14 days of beard growth. Didn't get BBS and felt the blade dragging towards the end. And it seems the blade is completely dull after 1 shave? Is that just because I removed a massive beard with it?

Tatara #1
Thanks again to Grundi for providing these blades
Head and face shave
Schone razor (my go to razor, smooth and efficient).
Haslinger Aloe soap
Sagrada familia brush
3 pass shave in each area.
Felt smooth and good until the last pass when I developed a burning sensation. I have had this before w Dorco Prime.
Used Alum block: burning
Rose toner was OK
AS: Proraso green burning
AB: Proraso (absorbed by skin)
AB Aqua Velva 5-1 felt OK
AB: Aloe/Lidocaine sun burn lotion (felt gr8).

Shave was good but the irritation/burning not.

Will probably try a different razor and soap for next shave
7/10 rating

Day Four with the Tatra Platinum Blade
20200513_092206.jpg

Todays Setup (05-13-2020)
Brush - Yaqi 24mm
Lather - Stirling Nag Champa
Razor - Muhle R-41
Blade - Tatra Platinum (shave #4)
Aftershave - Stirling Nag Champa with Menthol

Shave 4 on the Tatra blade, I decided to keep the blade in the R-41 and to continue using Stirling software. I ended up doing a 2 pass shave this morning, both smoothness and sharpness have seemed to diminish. I ended up with an ok shave, The blade felt very tuggy on pass #2 and it was at that point that I decided today is the last day with this blade. I finished up with my normal cold water and alum finish, I did not get a ton of feedback, only the normal trouble areas. I'm sure that I could go another day on the blade but when the shave becomes not enjoyable I don't really see a reason to continue. Ever since switching to DE shaving a few years ago my goal has been to balance comfort and efficiency together, This blade worked great for the first 2 days, I ended up enjoying the shave and getting pretty good results. I have really enjoyed the challenge PIFS this month, I really enjoy trying new blades to find that perfect shave.

Thoughts on the two blades

Tiger Platinum

The first shave was good, not very sharp but was fairly smooth on the 6C/4 combo. I had high hopes for the second shave but it pretty much fell apart, I don't know if the blade was a dud or it just didn't agree with me. The end result was one of the most uncomfortable shaves I have ever had, the blade really lit me up and I had a red face for the better part of the morning.

Tiger Platinum Scoring
Day # 1 Smoothness 7.5/10 Sharpness 7.0/10
Day# 2 Smoothness 6.0/10 Sharpness 5.0/10

Tiger Platinum overall Impressions
At some point, I will try the remaining two blades, but I do not see myself purchasing them. As mentioned
earlier I am curious if I had a dud blade, but my initial reaction was that this blade falls in the one and done category.

Tatra Platinum
Overall I felt that this was a decent blade, along the lines of a Derby Platinum, The blade can produce (IMO) 2 close and comfortable shaves. I would not be opposed to purchasing some of these blades to keep in my den, they worked well with the Rockwell, and also worked well with the R-41. All in all, it was an enjoyable experience, I think for my beard 2 shaves would be the tipping point, where the comfort would not diminish and the sharpness level would be acceptable.

Tatra Platinum Scoring
Day # 1 Smoothness 8.5/10 Sharpness 8.0/10
Day# 2 Smoothness 8.0/10 Sharpness 7.5/10
Day# 3 Smoothness 7.5/10 Sharpness 8.0/10 (Muhle R-41)
Day# 4 Smoothness 6.5/10 Sharpness 6.5/10 (Muhle R-41)

Tatra
Platinum overall Impressions
I will definitely be using the remaining two blades at some point, as I mentioned earlier in the post, I could see myself grabbing some of these blades off amazon in one of my late-night order, I noticed the prices are great and I think this would be a great smooth no drama blade to keep in the den.

Overall Winner
Screen Shot 2020-04-14 at 10.44.26 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-13 at 11.41.47 AM.png

Tatra Platinum

Received my PIF envelope on Monday (Thanks Grundi!!) and waited until today to begin my reviews. My trial will be to use the blades in two almost identical razors - Rockwell 6c vs 6s, identical plates, with the same prep and materials each day for 3 days.
Today's Shave:

prep.: PAA Cube 2.0 pre-shave soap, non scented.
Soap: Cella Red, Marco method, face lathered
Brush: Zenith horse hair
Razor Blade: Tatra Platinum. (1st use)
Razor Rockwell 6c, plate 3
Gentleman Jon Alum Block
Thayers Witch Hazel Coconut water
Cella Aftershave Balm
PAA Chella Cool menthol aftershave

Got a good shave today with the first use on the Tatra blade. The WTG pass was perfect. I could not even feel that the blade was in the razor. Noted that the blade seemed very smooth but not as sharp as some I have used - sort of a middle tier blade. What I did notice was a significant amount of tugging on the ATG pass to finish the shave.
No blood, a little burn from the alum block, a nice DFS shave all the way around.
So far, it's a good blade but not something I could see ordering in quantity. I recently blind bought some Silver Stars based on comments here and those have completely floored me. But I will continue this tomorrow...

Shave 3 with the Tatra,
Regulars,
Tabac
Universal full blade shavette
444 Balm
H&V C&CC

Another great shave with this blade, so much so I had to make sure I was still using the same side of the blade - didn't want any cheating going on.
So far I think this is a very good blade, I'm impressed.
Two more shaves out of this side of the blade and it will seriously impress me.
A 10 for this one.

Shave four with the Tiger blade and FINALLY I got a good shave. I loaded it in my Mamba 70, which is the most gentile and most efficient razor I own and the blade worked well with it. WTG pass was not as rough as the other nights, which could have been a function of the blade mellowing out or the Mamba head design (or both). What I did notice though is that the efficiency of the passes did not improve much. After WTG and ATG passes, there was still enough stubble to make me do a partial XTG pass. However, unlike previous nights, I ended up with a very solid BBS and the best shave so far with this Tiger blade.

For tomorrow's shave, I loaded it in my Chinese clone of the Muhle R41 which has all the aggression of the real R41 plus enhanced blade feel. This will tell me if the blade actually did mellow out.

Tiger - day 1

Rusty:
Prep: shower, washed face with dove moisture bar.
Razor: Gamechanger 68p
Brush: zenith 26mm boar with aluminum handle.
Soap: LaToja stick
Aftershave: Woody’s
Growth: 2 days

After 3 not great shaves with the Tatra, I was feeling down on the CZ blades. Despite that experience I soldiered on and loaded up the tiger blade. After working up a nice well hydrated lather of LaToja, I put steel to skin. Initially, this blade felt better than the Tatra ever did to my skin, but this tiger blade did not feel as though it was a remarkably sharp blade. The first pass, started with doing both cheeks, one edge for each side, and almost felt a little harsh or rough. Kind of like feather blades are a little coarse on the first shave. Like the feather blade, a few strokes on each edge and this blade really smoother out. I completed both cheeks, and started on my neck. This blade was notably comfortable and efficient front this point on. I finished the first pass and splashed a little water on my face to feel what was in store for pass #2. I was pleased with the results, not the best but, good efficiency overall.

I lathered up for pass #2. I followed the same pattern this time going across the grain above the jaw line and against the grain below. I started on my neck, like most this is the area most prone to irritation, and I could tell after just two strokes against the grain that I was in for a treat. The blade was smooth and efficient enough to give me one of the best ATG neck shaves to date.

As I wrapped up the shave and cleaned up my face, I decided to add the alum block in to the mix to see where there might be some irritation. Not to my surprise, my cheeks felt a good bit of sting, more than I’d like. However, the rest of my face and neck had little to no reaction to the alum. I am really pleased with the tiger blade, compared to the Tatra. At this point, I am optimistic about tomorrow’s shave. Based off of tonight’s shave alone, I would not put this on my list of future purchases as a must have, but if I couldn’t get an Gillette platinum or an Astra SP, I wouldn’t object to going this direction.
Adjustments.jpg

Mrs. Shackelford

Prep: shower
Razor: Gamechanger 840
Brush: Omega Jade premium Boar
Soap: A&E Asian Plum
Growth: 2 days since last leg shave

The wife was not as interested in the process of shaving and reviewing the blades today after three previous shaves with the Tatra, where her biggest complaint was efficiency. She went ahead and did her routine of legs and underarms. Her observations and experience with the Tiger blade was good and renewed her interest. She was quite pleased to report that the efficiency was remarkably improved with the Tiger over the Tatra. She was also a fan that it was not so sharp to result in any nicks or cuts, yet was efficient enough she didn’t have to go back over areas for cleanup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Czech This Out!! The PIF Phase is now CLOSED; The Participation Phase is ON-GOING!!

I have mailed out the last of the blades!! 32 packages of Czech-made Blades have been mailed (mostly to CONUS, but several Internationally!!). I'm out of blades to pass out. Unfortunately, we lost some Czech-made Blades that were bents and warped INSIDE THE TUCK!!

Thank you, @Space_Cadet!! (I know we've already posted this, but I wanted to let those jumping in know who the Patron of these Blades is!!)

The last 2 groups to have blades mailed out to them were (combined): @gamestorming, @xiletero, @dezmil, @Ted A, @jbreakfield, @Juijitsu2010, @nicobie, @Billski, and @PlutoViola!! Soon, you'll be able to Czech Out These Blades!!

Thank you, Everyone!! Your response has been AWESOME!! Your posts have been EXCELLENT!! Keep them coming!! Those who will be receiving blades soon, your time is coming!!

My aim is to shave with each blade in 10 different razors, and with a different soap and aftershave every day. No real science here.

Tiger Shave #5 - Wednesday
Razor: Gillette New Long Comb
Soap: Palmolive Classic
A/S: Aqua Velva Ice Sport

This is the last vintage razor I’ll use in this run, but the blade will keep going through to shave #10. I’m sounding like a broken record when I say this was another great shave. No issues with smoothness or sharpness at all, and I got another DFS in two passes. I’m starting to get curious about whether the Tatra will give the same experience, since it’s reportedly the same blade with different branding.

FB96F2AB-06A1-46E3-BBAA-8D7B03982319.jpeg

Top Bottom