What's new

Participation PIF - Czech Out These Blades

I will now return to my regular blades for a while until @Grundi and @Space_Cadet come up with another batch of blades to test. Thanks for the opportunity to test these blades. Maybe I will go back to the Elios blades now as I was very impressed with them.
Thank you, @gvw755 and Everyone, for your kind words! These PIFs have great fun and wonderful bright spots during these very trying times! @Space_Cadet and @Toothpick have been excellent to work with! Not sure what's next, but that's part of the fun, too!

Discovering new blades and rediscovering classic blades are a great part of this DE Adventure! For me, I've loved being a part of this, too, as I get to try these blades along with Everyone!

Tatra blade 2 shave #4
Razor: RR GC .84 SB
Soap: Stirling Island Man
Brush: Yaqi Rainbow
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Original

Had an ok shave, but felt tugging at end and definite loss of sharpness going atg so I think that's all for this blade.

Tiger #2 Shave #1
Timeless ss .95
T&H 1805 soap

At the start of this shave the blade felt very nice. However halfway through the first and only pass it started feeling quite rough. I will hang on for another try tomorrow, but this morning was not encouraging for the tiger.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Tatra Blade 1 # Shave 3
Soap Arko
Brush Yaqi 28mm Synthetic
Razor RazoRock German 37 Slant
Blade Tatra Platinum 3rd
Post & Aftershave
Ice Water + Special Thayers Mix
Hyaluronic Acid + Old Spice Lime

Shave with the RR Slant paired with the blade is like a satin glove fit. Better than yesterday GC.84 & Tatra pairing. So smooth and comfortable. Still sharpish and efficient. 3 multiple passes and was tempted to do some buffing since it was so comfy. Some irritation on the neck. Good result between BBS to DFS++
Tatra Platinum Blade 1
Shave#1: 9.5
Shave#2: 9.5
Shave#3: 9.7

Tiger Platinum Blade 1 (on hold)
Shave#1: 9.7
Shave#3: 9
Shave#4: 9.5
Shave#5: 9.5
20200609_233714.jpg

20200610_071432.jpg

Fifth shave this morning with a Tiger in my Tatara Masaumune OC. Soap was PdP No, 63. Zero nicks or abrasions in any of these shaves, and no sense of pulling the hair or the skin, but the shaves have been slower (more passes needed) and slightly less close than with my favorite blades in this razor. So I pronounce this blade very smooth but not very sharp, at least in a mild razor. So the Tiger seems similar to the Tatra. We'll start seeing about the Tiger's longevity with the 6th shave tomorrow.

8th and final shave with my 1st Tiger blade this morning. RIP. Same razor and soap as in the 5th shave. Similar results, but sharpness has definitely diminished. Verdict: Not especially sharp but very, very smooth--not one nick, scrape or any type of irritation in 8 shaves. Similar to the Tatara but even less sharp and smoother.

Next time, I'll try a Tatara and a Tiger in a different razor, probably a pre-WW2 Tech, and report back.

Yesterday's Tiger Shave

Brush:
Shavemac Olive Wood 20/44 Silvertip 2-Band
Soap: Vitos Red
Razor: Fatip Lo Storto Originale with custom olive wood handle
Blade: Tiger Platinum (3)
ASL: Proraso Red

Well, this one didn't work out well. The Tiger started pulling again on just one day's growth... and during the complete shave. I'm confused by this so I intend keeping the blade and coming back to it "sometime." So that's my Tatra/Tiger experiment shelved for now.

I still managed BBS and an unmangled face and neck, but it wasn't a pleasant experience. :sad:

RESULTS:

TATRA Blade 1

Shave #1: 9.5
Shave #2: 9
Shave #3: 9.5
Shave #4: 9
Shave #5: 9
average: 9.2

Tiger Blade 1

Shave #1: 9.5
Shave #2: 9
Shave #3: 6.5
to be continued, sometime...

Shave #1 with the Tiger Blade

Razor:
Razorock Game Changer .84 SB
Brush: PC Woodcraft 24mm Silvertip Badger
Pre Shave: Proraso Green pre-shave
Soap: Proraso Green Cream

Typical 2 days growth for this shave. Showered and washed my face cleanser shaving.

Ratings:
  • Smooth: 7/10
  • Sharp: 5.5/10
Results: Right off the bat, this blade isn't as sharp as the first Tatra that I used. It was decently smooth, but a lot of tugging WTG, as well as ATG. I was able to get a decent shave in the end, but I'm not sure if this one will be ok for a second shave, but I'll give it a shot to see the outcome. Some alum feedback, and I had some rough patches that I couldn't get rid of... didn't want to buff too much and cause irritation/burn.

Tiger #2 shave #4
Razor: RR GC .84 SB
Soap: Stirling Island Man
Brush: Yaqi Rainbow

The blade is fairly sharp, but maybe sharper, or definitely doesn't feel as smooth and forgiving as tatra blades. I think I liked the previous blade #1 in a milder razor, or this blade is showing some qc variation. Had some weepers on bottom right side of neck which is fairly sensitive, but rest was a decent shave.

Tiger #2, shave 2
Timeless SS .95
Speick stick

Today the tiger felt very rough. I ended up with a shave that was not especially smooth, and I had to work at it a lot more than I like. This blade is already done.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Tatra Blade 1 # Shave 4
Soap The Goodfellas Smile Italian Orange
Brush Yaqi 24mm Sagrada Familia
Razor Gillette New SC
Blade Tatra Platinum 4th
Post & Aftershave
Hyaluronic Acid + AV Musk
Tried the razor and blade combo today and it was great! Smooth, still sharp enough and most importantly it is comfortable!
3 multiple passes with some buffing. No weepers nor irritation. BBS to DFS result. Excellent shave today.
Tatra Platinum Blade 1
Shave#4: 9.7

20200611_220138.jpg

20200611_075951.jpg

Shave #2 with the Tiger Blade

Razor:
Razorock Game Changer .84 SB
Brush: PC Woodcraft 24mm Silvertip Badger
Pre Shave: Proraso Green pre-shave
Soap: Proraso Green Cream

Typical 2 days growth for this shave. Showered and washed my face prior to shaving.

Ratings:
  • Smooth: 7/10
  • Sharp: 6.5/10
Results: I had a bit of a surprise with this one, there was a noticeable uptick in sharpness from the first shave with this blade. Much better on all three passes than the first time around. Still didn't take down all the stubble, and I still had to do a good bit of buffing to get a decent shave. A bit of tugging in the areas where my beard grows thickest. Came out a little below DFS, but no cuts or weepers, just a little feedback from the alum. I'm interested to see which way this blade goes on the next go around...

Tatra Blade 1 # Shave 5
Cream
Suezbana Aloe & Lavender
Brush Yaqi 24mm Mountain Lake Badger
Razor Fatip Grande
Blade Tatra Platinum 5th
Post & Aftershave
Hyaluronic Acid
Clubman GentsGin
Shave with razor and blade pairing was surprisingly smooth & mild feel but yet still sharpish. Very comfortable 3 multiple passes with no issues of weepers, creepers nor irritations. BBS to DFS. Another excellent shave with the blade.
These Czech made blades are indeed a revelation! Very tempted to get by the 100...hahahaha...
Tatra Platinum Blade 1
20200611_232602.jpg

20200612_073302.jpg

Tiger #2 shave #2
Razor: Mingshi 2000s
Soap: Stirling Satsuma
Brush: Yaqi Purple Haze

Was a nice fairly smooth shave i'd give it an 8. Set razor on 3 for wtg, did some xtg and and then ended up on 6 atg no weepers this time on neck.

Went back to Tatra and shaved 3 times with it. Three ok shaves, and I decided to do another side by side comparison: this time with Astra platinum. Another blade on the sharp side, similarly to Tatra it usually shaves me ok but I never reached complete confidence in it.

Just like Feather, also Astra does a better job both in comfort and closeness. I will now test a second Tiger. I was very happy with the first one, lets see if the results on my skin are consistent.

Tiger Blade 1 # Shave 6
Soap
PAA Solstice
Brush New Yaqi 26mm Lucky Dice Tuxedo
Razor RazoRock German 37 Slant
Post & Aftershave
Hyaluronic Acid + Reuzel Wood & Spice
Shave with razor & blade combo was excellent....feel really smooth, still sharpish and very comfortable. 3+1 multiple passes with no issues at all. Again, almost did not feel the blade. BBS to DFS result. Really loving these Czech blades...
This RR 37 slant razor feels so much more comfy as compare to my other Parker SemiSlant. No sure if it's the blade factor.
Tatra Platinum Blade 1(on hold)
Tiger Platinum Blade 1
Shave#6: 9.7
20200612_233531.jpg

20200613_110328.jpg

3 passes with tiger and tatara blades and here is the final word

after shave one which has been reviewed earlier, shave number 2 & 3 wern't as good. life of both was about 3 shaves. they both are good avg blades but it din't offer anything special to come back to them again.
lower performance in later shaves was a turn off. it might work for someone eles but for this test it wasn't as good.

but i still like to thank OP for sending these out to try and indulging other wetshavers to contribute and enjoy the journey together

Kit: Fatip Piccolo SE , Tatra (3) , Arko, Omega S10083 S-Brush Pro.

A low-end DFS again today. The Tatra is consistent in this razor.

Top Bottom