What's new

Participation PIF - An Old Friend Returns

View attachment 1481365

Thirty-sixth shave with the Schick Super Stainless Steel (w/Krona Comfort Edge) (Vintage) blade #1

Razor
: Fatip Lo Storto Originale (aka FOCS)
Brush: The Shave Factory/Omega Pro 49 (27mm Unbleached Boar)
Soap: RazoRock Blue Label

🇨🇦 Happy Canada Day!🇨🇦

So, it's a federal holiday and I'm not doing anything, today, except maybe sitting on the sundeck with a cold drink in my hand. I pondered whether to shave or not, but the primal lizard side of my brain kept screaming "Don't ruin your streak!" (This will be my 682nd consecutive shave with the FOCS)

So, into the bathroom I went... As expected, it was not a disappointment.

As usual, my three routine passes were completely trouble-free. Very quick and smooth, despite the number of uses that it has accrued. Buffing was again limited to just a few strokes, mainly along my left jawline. In the end, I managed another easy, relaxing BBS.

The durability of this Schick Super Stainless blade is astounding. I've never previously used a blade that has delivered so many excellent shaves, so consistently, for so long. I fully expect to enjoy the same result tomorrow. :thumbup1:
Wow. 682 consecutive shaves, that's quite impressive. Are there any signs of wear on the FOCS?

View attachment 1481365

Thirty-sixth shave with the Schick Super Stainless Steel (w/Krona Comfort Edge) (Vintage) blade #1

Razor
Brush: The Shave Factory/Omega Pro 49 (27mm Unbleached Boar)
Soap: RazoRock Blue Label

🇨🇦 Happy Canada Day!🇨🇦

So, it's a federal holiday and I'm not doing anything, today, except maybe sitting on the sundeck with a cold drink in my hand. I pondered whether to shave or not, but the primal lizard side of my brain kept screaming "Don't ruin your streak!" (This will be my 682nd consecutive shave with the FOCS)

So, into the bathroom I went... As expected, it was not a disappointment.

As usual, my three routine passes were completely trouble-free. Very quick and smooth, despite the number of uses that it has accrued. Buffing was again limited to just a few strokes, mainly along my left jawline. In the end, I managed another easy, relaxing BBS.

The durability of this Schick Super Stainless blade is astounding. I've never previously used a blade that has delivered so many excellent shaves, so consistently, for so long. I fully expect to enjoy the same result tomorrow. :thumbup1:
And you were thinking about sitting this one out?!? I'm glad you relented and joined up!!

Congratulations on 682 shaves with the excellent FOCS!!

Ps. 🇨🇦 Happy Canada Day 🇨🇦 to you and all our Canadian Cousins!!

La Toja shaving cream
Omega 10049 boar brush
1965 Gillette Super Speed razor
Schick Super Stainless Steel razor blade (8)
Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve aftershave

Two passes on face and three on neck. I’ll give it another 9.9/10.

75AC9FD4-62B6-4493-9DB3-99D873E058F6.jpeg

Vintage Schick Super Stainless Steel w/Krona Comfort Edge, Blade #1, Edge #1, Shave #23

Associated gear:

Assured 3-piece
Restored boar/badger mix
Palmolive Classic shave cream

Ouch! No blood, but not a happy face. This combo is 1 and done.

With 2 passes (to save my face), and a little buffing, the end result was close the DFS/BBS borderline.
Razor and blade were not a good match. The roughness made my R41 look like a pussycat. This was my first use of the Assured. It's possible that there is no blade to match with it.

One blade edge, 11 razors, 23 shaves and counting.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
An old friend returns shave#39
IMG_20220701_134714.jpg

Razor: Fatip Piccolo
Blade: Schick(39)
Soap: RR XXX
Brush: RR Beehive Moka-soft

Turned to XXX tonight, not a soap I have used much during my current 3017 binge. I had forgotten just how prominent the citrus note was in XXX but it was much appreciated (even more so if we had anything other than warm rain as our summer weather).
The shave was excellent apart from the great scent it was very slick and once again the finish was near BBS with a little roughness again along the jawline. Overall another triumph for the Schick blade and I look forward to shave number 40 tomorrow.

Shave 3, blade 3
Magic Porpoise Skin achieved!

-cheering and clapping commences

I mentioned in my last shave that I had red dots again and that I was ignoring them, well they wouldn't accept that deal. Red dots became red bumps and no shaving for three days. I abandoned the razor I had the blade in and went back to the razor that worked so well previously, the Timeless!

full

I did two passes and took my time. Although I had to go over the bumps, I managed not to disturb them. This blade is a slow cutter requiring shorter strokes on my face as usual. Much to my surprise, and delight, the alum feedback rating is a B+! I can't stop touching my face which means I am really happy with my shave. The blade will remain in this razor until it's demise then I will move back to the barber razor where I have a half-a-blade left from number two.

Last edited:
Schick Blade #2, Shave #5

Razor: Henson AL13 Mild on a SS handle
Cream: Proraso Green
Brush: Cheap no-name off of Amazon
Aftershave: AV Ice Blue

I wish I had more to report but another nick-free, weeper-free, drama-free shave. Wonderful blade and unlike any modern blade that I have tried.

Wow. 682 consecutive shaves, that's quite impressive. Are there any signs of wear on the FOCS?

The only changes are cosmetic. For example, the top cap isn't as shiny as it used to be. There aren't any scratches or dings, so it still looks pretty nice. One day, I might give it a good polishing.

The knurling on the butt of the handle is a little smoother now after being inserted and removed from the razor stand several hundred times. Some other FOCS owners noticed that the knurled edges were quite sharp. Now that they've worn down, the handle is even more comfortable to hold. :thumbup1:

Otherwise, it still performs great. If it ever does wear out, I know exactly which razor I'll buy to replace it! 😁

And you were thinking about sitting this one out?!? I'm glad you relented and joined up!!

Congratulations on 682 shaves with the excellent FOCS!!

Ps. 🇨🇦 Happy Canada Day 🇨🇦 to you and all our Canadian Cousins!!

Yes, I'm glad that you and @Space_Cadet "forced" me to join this PIF! 😜 The Schick Super Stainless is a real beauty and I feel very fortunate to have experienced this special blade. 😍

Blade: Schick Super Stainless - blade #3, shave #4
Razor: Aristocrat
Soap: Wm. Neumann & Co. - Bay Rum
Aftershave: Wm. Neumann & Co. - Bay Rum
Mug: Wm. Neumann & Co.
Brush: Yaqi

Exceptional shave this morning. My face is as smooth as a pool ball.🎱
IMG_2143.JPG

Last edited:
The Last Old Friend -- Blade 5, shaves 6&7
Saturday Morning Luxury Shave Edition

Razor: Gillette Tech ( K2 - 1965)
Blade: vintage Schick
Brush: Omega boar
Soap: Wholly Kaw -- 1776
A/S: Royall Spyce

Very nice two pass shave on face and dome this morning in another razor contemporary with the blade. Not ready to say "farewell" yet to this Last Old Friend.

original_398b0a9c-f309-4b6e-b78c-5f328f753112_IMG_20220702_083237011.jpg

24th Shave on Blade 1
Still a sharp enough, comfortable shave. There is some loss of sharpness from the single digit shaves, but not much. No worries with today’s shave.

Razor: Rockwell 6C, R4
Blade: Schick SS (24)
Brush: Yaqi Sagarada Familia
Bowl: Captain’s Choice Copper
Soap: Art of Shaving Bergamot & Neroli
Aftershave: Halston Z-14

Shave number 9, number 9, number 9…

RazoRock Gold Label soap stick
Kent BK4 Silvertip Badger brush
1965 Gillette Super Speed razor
vintage Schick Super Stainless Steel razor blade (9)
RazoRock XXX aftershave
RazoRock ZCent XXX EdP

Two passes. Still fantastic results, a DFS+. I’ll give it a 9.99/10.

The family photo:
F34AFE97-3E0C-4EA6-B4B4-167465636DDF.jpeg

Vintage Schick Super Stainless Steel w/Krona Comfort Edge, Blade #1, Edge #1, Shave #24

Associated gear:

Karve CB, SB-C
Semogue 740 Pure Badger
Palmolive Classic shave cream

Ah. Life is good again. I moved the Schick to my Karve and things returned to normal.

With 3 passes, and some buffing, the end result was a DFS, close the DFS/BBS borderline.
I think the blade's performance is slipping just enough to justify switching to the opposite edge tomorrow. There's no point to tolerating less than stellar shaves just to run up the count.

One blade edge, 12 razors, 24 shaves and counting.

IMG_0283_1200x873.jpg

Thirty-seventh shave with the Schick Super Stainless Steel (w/Krona Comfort Edge) (Vintage) blade #1

Razor
Brush: Fine Accoutrements Classic (20mm Angel Hair)
Soap: Pré de Provence No. 63

Another great shave from this venerable old blade!

I know that I'm starting to sound like a parrot repeating the same words over and over, but the Schick Super Stainless continues to perform like a champ. From day one, it has delivered outstanding smoothness and comfort. The overall shave quality is on par with (and oftentimes better than) the best blades that I've ever used. So, if I keep using the same superlatives... well, this blade has earned them.

As for today's shave, it went as expected: three trouble-free main passes followed by the bare minimum of buffing strokes to achieve another effortless BBS. Interestingly, as others have mentioned, even a good thing can become monotonous after a while. I'm almost hoping for something to go wrong, just to relieve the boredom! 😁

p.s. Yesterday, I mentioned that I had enjoyed my 682nd consecutive shave with the FOCS. Well, it turns out that I had miscounted badly... It turns out that yesterday's shave was my 692nd shave in a row with the FOCS! 🤪

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
An old friend returns shave#40
IMG_20220702_135843.jpg

Razor: Fatip Piccolo
Blade: Schick(40)
Soap: SV Opuntia
Brush: Yaqi Timberwolf

Tonight for SV Saturday it was the turn of Opuntia I always enjoy SV, I think it even pips MdC to the post as my favourite soap. When I am pushing a blade I need slick soap to get the best performance.
The result was OK, still comfortable but the neck and jawline are still not as they could be, but I'm going to give tomorrow's gear a good shake up and see if I can make an improvement on tonight's result.
Finally I've broken through the 40 shave barrier.

Top Bottom