What's new

Participation PIF - An Old Friend Returns

IMG_0287_1161x900.jpg

Forty-first shave with the Schick Super Stainless Steel (w/Krona Comfort Edge) (Vintage) blade #1

Razor
: Fatip Lo Storto Originale (aka FOCS)
Brush: Yaqi Purple (24mm Mink)
Soap: Vitos Classic Eucalyptus and Lanolin

Another great shave... but is the Schick Super Stainless finally slowing down?

The sentence above almost sounds alarmist coming from me. However, considering how well this blade has been performing for the last six weeks, any decline in performance grabs your attention.

Today, I noticed that I needed much more buffing than previously to achieve a BBS. On most other days, I'd apply perhaps two or three buffing strokes around the Adam's apple and maybe one or two along my jawline. However, on this shave, I needed to buff about half a dozen times around the Adam's apple and three times along the jawline. That sounds like practically nothing in the grand scheme of things, but it probably means that the efficiency has gone down during my three main passes, leaving more stubble to be buffed away.

Or maybe it's just another anomaly like I experienced on June 22 when I needed about the same number of buffing strokes to achieve a BBS? I guess we'll see, tomorrow.

However, for right now, it was still a magnificent outing, overall. Even a worn-out Schick Super Stainless delivers a better shave than most other blades when new! 😁

Schick Super Stainless edge 2 shave 2. Gillette NEW LC, Cella original, YaQi Sagrada Familia 24mm tuxedo.

A slightly thin lather from the Cella this morning reminded me that sometimes I get more satisfaction from owning a NEW than I do from using one. There was no drama, just a dawning of the realisation that I'd be more comfortable with another razor, even though this blade is far from 'bitey'.

I have a couple of days to decide which one. I'm currently leaning towards my Rapira Tech, but we'll see.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
An old friend returns shave#44
IMG_20220703_140927.jpg

Razor: Muhle R41
Blade: Schick(44)
Soap: MWF
Brush: Big Omega Boar

Tonight with the same setup as the last few shaves the results were the same too. Blade still smooth, finish still close, soap still slick.
I just can't see an end to this blade, tomorrow will be shave number 45 and it is still good. The only problem I can see is that I am in for Shark Week which starts on the 24th 17 shaves away.
See you all tomorrow

Blade: Schick Super Stainless - blade #3, shave #9
Razor: Fatboy F-4
Brush: ABC Boar
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Aftershave: Pinaud - Lilac Vegetal

Another thoroughly enjoyable shave. This blade is still performing superbly after nine shaves, and I have no doubt it has quite a bit of life still left in it.
IMG_2169.JPG

Blade 1-#15-16
Razor as always, 1.65 WR2
Still holding strong. What a wonderful opportunity this blade has been. I only shave twice a week so my time with this blade is drawn out but I usually use most blades for a good 12+ shaves which equates to 6 weeks. Unless something crazy happens next week, I should get 10 weeks at least out of this blade.
Normal Hardware:
EE361C5F-3A97-4B69-BC02-77F952F7F7C2.jpeg

Vintage Schick Super Stainless Steel w/Krona Comfort Edge, Blade #1, Edge #2, Shave #5 (29 Overall)

Associated gear:
Fendrihan Mk. II
Rubberset 400 boar
WMS

End result BBS on 3 passes plus a little cleanup. It felt rather rough, and the alum lit my neck up after the shave. Perhaps it was a liitle bit early in the lifespan of this edge to go to a razor as aggessive as the Mk. II? I'll set it aside and come back to it in a week or two.

One blade, Two blade edges, 14 razors, 29 shaves and counting.

IMG_0302_1180x900.jpg

Forty-second shave with the Schick Super Stainless Steel (w/Krona Comfort Edge) (Vintage) blade #1

Razor
Brush: Maggard Travel-Size (18mm Timber Wolf)
Soap: Proraso Red (Sandalwood) Shaving Cream

The Schick Super Stainless continues to impress (or... My earlier fears were unfounded).

I had thought that this blade was dulling because efficiency had seemingly declined. However, today's outing did not display any signs of degradation. In fact, it was business as usual: three smooth and comfortable main passes, followed by minimal buffing, ending with an easy BBS.

I shouldn't have doubted that the Schick Super Stainless would deliver another great shave! :thumbup1:

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
An old friend returns shave#45
IMG_20220707_214929.jpg

Razor: Muhle R41
Blade: Schick(45)
Soap: RR Don Marco
Brush: Simpsons Trafalgar T3

Tonight due to the sunshine we finally had this afternoon I decided to make 2 changes to my setup the T3 and RR Don Marco, my favourite sunshine soap. I admit that you really notice the difference in slickness between RR and MWF using them almost side by side as I am.
The shave was still smooth, but didn't leave me with as close a shave as the MWF, maybe a DFS+. I guess I'll just have to go back to MWF tomorrow night and see how much difference it makes.
Heading for shave number 46 tomorrow, maybe I might be able to make it to 50 or even past it I should really take it 1 shave at a time.

Was super late to the party but alum Ladd and Grundi made it happen, and words cannot truly describe your generosity. Was super excited to try out the schic, first shave with normal three pass shave gave me a few spots that look like I over shaved. Thought maybe was a learning curve with new blades so gave my face 5 days to recover. Lather rinse repeat same shave prep, hot shower and clean face twice. Used d r Harris cream and yielded same results. I rely on muscle memory and have no issues with other blades that I have tried. Hoping the one I tried was just a dud and will try in a few days to shave again with the schick.

hot shower prep with washing face twice
.95 timeless
d r Harris lavender
alum clean up
thayers aloe witch hazel toner

IMG_0303_1200x812.jpg

Forty-third shave with the Schick Super Stainless Steel (w/Krona Comfort Edge) (Vintage) blade #1

Razor
Brush: Yaqi Black Label (24mm Silvertip Bbadger)
Soap: RazoRock Black Label

The indestructible Schick Super Stainless just won't quit!

Today's shave was pretty much a carbon copy of yesterday's shave as this blade continues to display remarkable consistency. My three main passes were quick and trouble-free, as usual.

Efficiency remains high, so buffing was again almost an afterthought. A few strokes around the Adam's apple and another easy BBS is in the books.

Overall, it was another great outing by the Schick Super Stainless! :thumbup1:

Vintage Schick Super Stainless w/Krona Comfort Edge, Blade #1, Edge #2, Shave #6 (30 Overall)

Associated gear:
Gillette 1940's SuperSpeed
Maggard 2-Band badger
WMS

The Schick is still going strong after 30 shaves. Put into a mild razor instead of the aggressive Fendrihan, it was great. Right on the BBS/DFS borderline, on 2 passes plus a little clean-up, with absolutely no drama.

Looking ahead, 40 shaves looks like a walk in the park, and 50 seems possible. So far, the most shaves I've ever gotten out of a single blade was 48 with a German Wilkie. That record may fall this summer.

One blade, Two blade edges, 15 razors, 30 shaves and counting.

Top Bottom