Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
An old friend returns shave#32
IMG_20220616_120205.jpg

Razor: Muhle Rocca R94
Blade: Schick(32)
Soap: ZM Explorer
Brush: RR Beehive Brush

Tonight I fancied a change to something more exciting so hoping for a James Bond finish to my shave, maybe a car chase followed by a well shaved shoot out, but it wasn't to be.
Instead of thrills and excitement I ended up with an excellent shave and yet another near BBS, with a blade on its 32nd shave!
I've signed up for shark week because after all these smooth excellent shaves I really need the excitement of a blade that has a good chance of taking a bite out of you.
1434744792-boat.gif

Blade: Schick Super Stainless - blade #2 shave #21
Razor: Aristocrat 1948
Soap: Vintage Williams Shaving Cream
Aftershave: D.R. Harris & Co. - Pink
Brush: Yaqi 24mm
Bowl: Fine

Another very nice shave, but I think it's time to relieve this blade of duty. The vintage Schick Super Stainless is definitely one of the best blades that I have ever had the pleasure of using. In fact, it may be 'the' best, as I don't ever recall using one blade for three weeks straight. Bravo!
IMG_2135.JPG

An old friend returns shave#32
View attachment 1477663
Blade: Schick(32)
Soap: ZM Explorer
Brush: RR Beehive Brush

Tonight I fancied a change to something more exciting so hoping for a James Bond finish to my shave, maybe a car chase followed by a well shaved shoot out, but it wasn't to be.
Instead of thrills and excitement I ended up with an excellent shave and yet another near BBS, with a blade on its 32nd shave!
I've signed up for shark week because after all these smooth excellent shaves I really need the excitement of a blade that has a good chance of taking a bite out of you.
View attachment 1477664

+1! Watch out for those GREAT WHITES!! :a17::a17::a17:

IMG_0276_1200x881.jpg

Thirtieth shave with the Schick Super Stainless Steel (w/Krona Comfort Edge) (Vintage) blade #1

Razor
: Fatip Lo Storto Originale (aka FOCS)
Brush: Maggard Travel-Size (18mm Timber Wolf)
Soap: Vitos Classic Eucalyptus and Lanolin

On its thirtieth use, the FOCS/Schick Super Stainless provided another superbly smooth shave.

Normally, I'd think that this was exceptional longevity, but several other reviewers have managed an even higher number of uses from a single blade! That's very encouraging because it means that I can expect many more great shaves from my current blade. :thumbup1:

Anyway, as before, buffing was merely an afterthought. A few strokes around the Adam's apple and another BBS is in the books.

Not having to expend a lot of effort on buffing has really saved on wear and tear to my skin. As a result, I haven't had to use any ASB since I started using the Schick Super Stainless. That might be bad news for companies who make aftershave, but it makes my face (and my wallet) happy. 😁

Vintage Schick Super Stainless Steel w/Krona Comfort Edge, Blade #1, Edge #1, Shave #16

Associated gear:

ATT SS Windsor Pro/SB90
Semogue SOC Boar brush
Palmolive Classic

To me, the Schick and the Windsor seem well matched.
I was pretty much on auto-pilot Friday morning, but the shave was effortless and drama free.
With 3 passes plus a little buffing, the end result was on the BBS/DFS borderline.

One blade edge, 9 razors, 16 shaves and counting.
I might save one of these for a One-Blade-February run.

Vintage Schick Super Stainless Steel w/Krona Comfort Edge, Blade #1, Edge #1, Shave #17

Associated gear:

ATT SS Windsor Pro/SB90
Restored badger/boar mix
Kiss My Face 4n1 shave cream

This morning's shave was effortless and drama free.
With 3 passes plus a little buffing, the end result was on the BBS/DFS borderline again.
New razor coming up tomorrow.

One blade edge, 9 razors, 17 shaves so far.

An Old Friend Returns Schick Super Stainless Shave No.6

Razor: Fatip Piccolo Mk 2
Brush: Unbranded Boar/Synthetic? (TBH I don't know what the hell it is. Effective though)
Soap: Arko! Shave Stick
Balm: Boots Freshwood (Sandalwood scent basically. Effective)
IMG_20220625_214742985.jpg

What is the use of a blade challenge if the blade Isn't put at least once through the wonderful Fatip Piccolo eh?
I had quite a rushed shave tonight, around the 10 minute mark, yes, bad time management on my part as usual. However I managed a very creditable result. I missed my usual final optional pickup pass, which would have taken care of a couple of hairy little holdouts just under left and right jawlines. I have been re-positioning the WTG pass to take account of where I think jawline and neck direction of growth is. It is always a work in progress.

The blade is holding up fine, with the now usual performance parameters, an increasing (still) smoothness, coupled with no loss of edge that I can detect. As I say, any missed areas were down to sloppy technique and a time factor, which can be an enjoyable shave-killer.

However, shaving is always a pleasure with the Piccollo and increasingly, with this lovely old blade.

DFS++

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
An old friend returns shave#33
IMG_20220625_133526.jpg

Blade: Schick(33)
Soap: SV 70th Anniversary
Brush: Yaqi Purple Haze

Tonight for SV Saturday it was the turn of 70th Anniversary, just as well to have something to look forward to as the weather was rubbish today. The setup is currently my favourite and always gives me excellent results.
The shave was one of the best and was comfortable at all times with no irritation and no buffing required, it should be illegal to enjoy anything this much and it usually is. I was unfortunately left with another near BBS finish and a hankering for Shark

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Blade 3, Shave 1:

I forgot to post this shave report this morning. I started a new blade today. The other two were shot. One from the rigors of traveling. The other was used only at home and just ran out of gas after 8 shaves. Life is too short to use blades that are no longer operating at peak efficiency. I know I could get many more uses out of these, but as the sharpness and smoothness degrades, there comes a point of diminishing returns. Even the Excalibur guys have to take many steps to get those huge shave numbers on one blade. Like working with reduced sharpness. Stropping, corking and other maintenance processes are employed to extend blade life. And extra passes and touchups help get decent shaves from degraded blades as well. I don’t do that stuff. And I think that is okay. I believe the spirit of these blade challenges is to experience a blade the way it was intended. Use the blade until the end of its natural life, and then toss it. And that is how I treat these. The blades were great. But I haven’t gotten huge shave totals from these. However, 8 shaves is still 4 or 5 more than I get from most blades. And these are smooth and comfortable while offering a close shave.

Today was no different. In the Charcoal Goods Level 3, this blade was very efficient and reasonably smooth. This Generation 2 Level 3 razor is a bit beyond my aggressiveness threashold, so I typically use blades that are not quite this sharp. But the Vintage Schick did well. I got a nice smooth shave that was super close. And the drama was kept to a minimum. Got a couple of weepers, but nothing too major. And no real irritation either. Excellent showing from this blade in that beast of a razor.

3FCEF06E-F7A4-4184-9A7D-261598284560.jpeg

SCHICK SUPER STAINLESS STEEL BLADE #1, SHAVE #6

20220625_164320-01.jpeg

It's time to say farewell to blade no. 1.

Today I needed three passes plus extended touchups with my Gillette NEW Long Comb to enter DFS territory. I decided to finish the shave with this result in order to not risk any skin irritation on my neck.

My take on this blade is that she is a medium sharp yet very smooth blade. I like the shaves with her.

Unfortunately I didn’t manage to push the blade further, but perhaps the reason is I changed my razors every single time. But that’s what I do regularly, so blades have to hold up with my approach.

Happy shaves!

An old friend returns shave#33
View attachment 1478357
Blade: Schick(33)
Soap: SV 70th Anniversary
Brush: Yaqi Purple Haze

Tonight for SV Saturday it was the turn of 70th Anniversary, just as well to have something to look forward to as the weather was rubbish today. The setup is currently my favourite and always gives me excellent results.
The shave was one of the best and was comfortable at all times with no irritation and no buffing required, it should be illegal to enjoy anything this much and it usually is. I was unfortunately left with another near BBS finish and a hankering for Shark

Great work!! :a29:

I was impressed when I got 16 shaves from this lovely old blade!!

Top Bottom