What's new

Participation PIF - An Old Friend Returns

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Schick Blade #1 Shave#8
Tools: Futur Razor, Arko Soap & Plissoft Brush.

Its time to plow the road Gentlemen. :tank:
Got another DFS this A.M.
No Drama today. :thumbup1:
I am afraid that I am turning into @Demolition with the way its going. :w00t:
I might have to get @FarmerTan to do a half shave to wear the Schick Blade down some.
Well my friend, you are a true Gentleman and a Scholar!

You referred to me fractionally instead of decimally (a freshly minted werd right there!) for which I will be eternally grateful.

You've inspired me to actually shave today. Sometime today. Or at least before church tomorrow.

I believe I am going to use the Bronze Timeless that @matwho so graciously gifted me. I may even take pictures!

I'm getting tired just typing out my plans on my TracFone! Oh! The struggles of the retiree on a weekend!

Welcome, New/Old Friend -- Blade 2, shave 2
Luxury Saturday Morning Shave Edition

IMG_20220528_095348531.jpg

As the FOCS was already loaded up, it was the natural choice for this morning's shave. I have been spoiled so far with no weepers. Maybe I was distracted and a bit rough this morning as I have a few weepers on the chin. Nevertheless, the blade worked well for me today. I realize that I am one of a very few fortunate people who has no blade issues with my FOCS.

Schick Shave #2

Pre: warm shower with Palmolive bath bar
Razor: 66 Gillette Slim on 5
Soap: Proraso green cream
Brush: 26mm Yaqi Timberwolf synthetic
After: Captain's Choice test sample of Eucalyptus with Menthol.

I felt like a menthol hit this morning. Proraso green and Captain's Choice sure delivered. What also delivered was this razor blade. Following Grundi's example I stayed with the Slim on 5. Same results as last time. 3 passes and BBS except the trouble spot. Feeling with or against the grain my front neck will be smooth, but against the grain shows slight stubble. Still, wet shaving with a DE gives me much better results than carts or disposables.

No drama, no blood, no hiccups. Very mild feedback with the aftershave. Smooth sailing all the way.

Razor: Leaf Twig
Blade: Schick 0.5 shave 3
Brush: TNS Full Moon
Pre Shave: Stirling Glacial
Soap: SW Fougere Nemata
AS: A&E Kaizen

Had a great shave. I guess first shave was just really sharp/smooth it lost it's super sharp glide kind of like feather in a way, but I think these blades being vintage might be slightly thicker.

An Old Friend Returns - Schick (7)

TL;DR -
Changed razors again, back to vintage, blade is feeling sweet again, DFS+

Equipment: Gillette Parat razor, Schick Super Stainless(7), DG Mayflower Shave Soap

The Shave: Back to a vintage razor, a Gillette Parat, after having fitmess issues with the Fatip Piccolo. The blade feel has returned to smooth and sharp, with the DG Mayflower providing a wonderful Spring-like lather base. I chased the DFS+ shave and was happily rewarded!! I'm really liking this blade, especially in the "near vintage" razors.

Schick Krona Blade 2 VS Gillette Nacet
First Shave

Winning Razors
Krona and Nacet blades
@Graydog brush with 24mm G5A knot (Won in the Saint Sue Moore Auction)
Ethos Vanilla Safi soap
Stirling Haverford Aftershave and EDT

For this experiment I will use one razor on the right side and one on the left. Next shave I will switch sides. Repeat

Right Side: Krona
I used my best (and ridiculously expensive!) soap to get things off to the best possible start. 3 passes and touchups. When I shave I do chase BBS so there is a lot of buffing that occurs. Blade life for me is not as long as it is with some other shavers. This half shave was much like my first shave with the first Krona blade. It was very smooth and sharp. It took fewer strokes to achieve the smoothness that I was looking for compared to shaves 4 and 5 on blade 1. All in all an excellent shave.

Left Side: Nacet
An excellent 3 pass plus touchup shave. The blade felt a little rougher on my skin than the Krona which I expected. Sharpness was excellent. I feel that for the first shave the sharpness felt about equal, but the Krona felt smoother. Double checking my face an hour after the shave both sides feel BBS to touch. There seemed to be slightly more feedback from my aftershave on the Nacet side.

Winner: Krona
Tomorrow I will switch sides with the razors.

Note: At the end of the shave, the razor with the Nacet blade slipped out of my hand and struck the ceramic tile in my bathroom. The head seems ok but the handle I had on it will no longer tighten down. Hopefully, the blade isn't damaged. Both razors will continue on with the original handles they came with. I am going to have to be careful not to mix up the razors.

Krona Nacet Winning.jpg

IMG_0237_1200x898.jpg

Second shave with the Schick Super Stainless Steel (w/Krona Comfort Edge) (Vintage) blade #1

Razor
: Fatip Lo Storto Originale (aka FOCS)
Brush: Yaqi Sagrada Familia (24 mm Fan-shaped Tuxedo)
Soap: Tabac Shaving Soap Stick (Tallow)

An effortless autopilot shave from the FOCS/Schick Super Stainless duo!

For today's outing, despite my trepidation after yesterday's shenanigans, I still managed to blank out partway through the shave and "woke up" to find that I'd achieved a BBS. 😁 My three usual passes were extremely quick and comfortable. This blade feels very sharp, yet it's also amazingly smooth.

Interestingly, buffing was almost unneeded; just a few strokes along my jawline brought me to the closeness that I prefer.

This was all very gratifying considering the misery that I endured, yesterday. Thankfully, the blade does not seem to have been adversely affected by the mistreatment and subsequent "repair" that I subjected it to. :thumbup1:

Blade 1, shave 2

Soap: Ghost Town Barber
Brush: AP Synbad
Bowl: Pereira
Razor: 1952, 3rd quarter, Gillette Tech with black plastic handle
Splash: Ghost Town Barber

Tech was made a year before Luiggi’s Pizzeria opened (which has been remembered by at least two as having the last jukebox in New England). Three pass head shave. Blade did fine - surprisingly better than a cart. Razor handle is short and light. More difficult to find the angle. I picked up the Tech yesterday at a thrift store for $ 4. Perhaps it will make the American holiday rotation. Not going to make the daily driver rotation. I am guessing it cost less than a buck in 1952. The first or second time I went to Luiggi’s in the 1980’s - guy who looked hard on his luck came in and ordered something to go. Luiggi’s staff said that will be a dime. I could not believe that you could order anything in a restaurant for a dime so I inquired as to what he ordered. The answer was they sold a basket of Italian Bread for $.10 - the supper soft kind with sesame seeds. Hard to figure how they stayed in business with such reasonable prices. Why would you put meat (a canned product like spam) on a cheese pizza? The answer was: because that is how the owner wanted it.

I plopped one of the Schick blades into my Fatip Grande earlier in the week, with the hope of breaking in the blade with a relaxing night shave, as per usual. Unfortunately, yesterday, I had to go somewhere and needed to shave quickly. I wound up doing a one-pass ATG shave after wetting my face and applying Proraso blue shave cream (unlathered and smeared by hand). I managed to get a BBS with the one pass practically no touchup passes.

The shave was extremely smooth and so fast! Yet, somehow, I wound up with two weepers that I didn't even feel during the shave. The first one I only noticed after I washed off the soap. I applied some alum to it, but that stopped the bleeding only until I washed off the alum. I then applied a styptic pen to it. That stopped the bleeding, including after washing off the styptic pen.

I applied some Stirling Spice aftershave splash and followed it up with Stirling Spice aftershave balm. About five to ten minutes after this, when glancing in the rearview mirror, I noticed another weeper had developed. I dabbed at this new late developing post-shave weeper with my finger a couple times, which managed to stop the bleeding.

All in all, the Schick blade is pretty darn good! It's super smooth and sharp! It's so sharp that when I cut myself, I didn't even feel it.

That said, because I did manage to nick myself, however incidentally, this shave gets a 97.5/100. Without the nicks, it would've been a 99/100; with enough time to build a proper lather and enjoy my one of my usual pre-bed shaves, I'm sure it could've scored 100/100.

2BF92386-BC68-4162-9405-573B9D07E971.jpeg

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
An old friend returns shave#5
IMG_20220528_131426.jpg

Razor: King C Gillette
Blade: Schick(5)
Soap: SV Opuntia
Brush: RR Beehive brush

Tonight, as it is SV Saturday I decided to use Opuntia, formerly my favourite soap although nowadays 70th Anniversary just beats it. After 20 or so swirls on the puck I had enough lather to shave me and the dog.
The shave was fantastic, so fantastic that after 3 passes I was so sorry it was over I lathered up for a fourth pass though I didn't need it. Pass number 4 was another XTG pass just for the sheer joy of it. Pass 5 was out of the question because you just have to draw the line somewhere, although if I will ever do a fifth pass it will probably be with an SV soap. When it was finished I was left with a BBS, not a surprise after 4 passes.
Finished with a splash of Old Spice, I don't care how much the Mrs thinks it smells like old man, it is the only A/S I started the year with that I would keep and not just because it was a gift from my son

Blade 1, shave 2

Soap: Ghost Town Barber
Brush: AP Synbad
Bowl: Pereira
Razor: 1952, 3rd quarter, Gillette Tech with black plastic handle
Splash: Ghost Town Barber

Tech was made a year before Luiggi’s Pizzeria opened (which has been remembered by at least two as having the last jukebox in New England). Three pass head shave. Blade did fine - surprisingly better than a cart. Razor handle is short and light. More difficult to find the angle. I picked up the Tech yesterday at a thrift store for $ 4. Perhaps it will make the American holiday rotation. Not going to make the daily driver rotation. I am guessing it cost less than a buck in 1952. The first or second time I went to Luiggi’s in the 1980’s - guy who looked hard on his luck came in and ordered something to go. Luiggi’s staff said that will be a dime. I could not believe that you could order anything in a restaurant for a dime so I inquired as to what he ordered. The answer was they sold a basket of Italian Bread for $.10 - the supper soft kind with sesame seeds. Hard to figure how they stayed in business with such reasonable prices. Why would you put meat (a canned product like spam) on a cheese pizza? The answer was: because that is how the owner wanted it.
They made it up by selling meatballs at 50cents a piece!! 🥘 Luiggi's is a much-beloved neighborhood eatery that is still affordable!! Now I'm hungry for some spag and Italian bread!!

Super Schick SOTD

Razor: Timeless Ti .95
Blade: Schick Super Stainless
(blade #1 shave #4)
Soap: Fine Barber Blue
Brush: Simpson M7 Super
Bowl: Captains Choice Copper
AS: Fine Barber Blue

382E0999-D9FF-40CB-BB78-FE1A901831F5.jpeg

Same setup, same result. A damn fine shave. Fourth shave on this blade and it’s is only just starting to show me a hint of losing sharpness but it was still very smooth today. I usually bin a modern blade after 3 shaves. I’ll be proudly marching this blade to at least 5 shaves. :thumbup1:

Top Bottom