What's new

Participation PIF - A Very Mysteree-X Shave

Personna-X blade #3, Shave #2

Blade: Personna-X
Razor: Gillette Tech on a SS handle
Cream: Proraso Green
Brush: Cheap no-name off of Amazon
Aftershave: AV Ice Blue

A DFS without a nick or weeper. For some reason I'm finding myself struggling to get to BBS these days with anything regardless of razor or blade, but perhaps my standards for BBS are higher than they used to be as well as my technique improves. Overall, a comfortable shave if not super close.

IMG_0199_1200x844.jpg

Nineteenth shave with the Personna X-Series (Platinum Coated) blade #1

Razor
: Fatip Lo Storto Originale (aka FOCS)
Brush: Fine Accoutrements Classic (20mm Angel Hair)
Soap: Tabac Shaving Soap (Non-Tallow)

No improvement, unfortunately. But it's not getting worse, either.

The FOCS/X-Series duo delivered a smoother, more comfortable shave compared to yesterday's. The WTG pass still feels very slightly tuggy, but this has had no effect on performance. The ATG pass remains trouble-free. The XTG pass continues to exhibit increased blade-feel, but this isn't affecting the comfort level, at all.

Therefore, we're basically at status quo. Things haven't gotten bad enough to switch to a new blade, yet, so I'll carry on with this blade, as usual.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Mysteree-X Blade 2
Shaves 2
and 3
Razor
: Gillette Slim 8-8-8
Aftershave: Zingari Navigator

A little catch-up here. I kept with the Slim and had a relaxing Saturday shave. Still lots of tugging and required lots of buffing, but I had the time and paid extra close attention to keeping zero pressure and was rewarded with one of the closest, longest-lasting irritation-free shaves. Granted, I shaved later in the morning than I usually do, but it was still smooth in most places when I went to bed.

Today, the Monday morning shave had a little less beard than usual as a result. I tend to have better shaves when I have longer stubble, as sometimes if I shave again too soon there are lots of little bumps where the hairs are starting to emerge. Nevertheless, it was the same sort of shave, maybe a little less sharp but just as scrapey as is usual for the X blade. Had to do a lot of buffing along the chin and jawline. My neck was taunting me, but I could tell it was on the edge of irritation so I backed off. It's still pretty good by the end of the workday. I can tell there's some irritation and some stubble and rough skin, but also no weepers to speak of. The Zingari kept everything soft and smooth.

This is a funny blade. It hasn't degraded all that much, and the shaves have not ever been enjoyable, but Saturday's results were top notch. I'll see how today's shave wears tomorrow and will probably give the blade a chance for a fourth shave.
View attachment 1453098
Slim, have you used a Fatboy *giggle* and if so how does it compare to the Slim? I was unimpressed by my Fatboy (giggle again, I'm so mature!) and ended up selling it for the St. Sue auction. But I've never tried a Slim and wonder if I should get my birth quarter one?

And what color is your razor?

Back to the subject:

Shave #5 on the Mysteree X blade was last week, Wednesday I believe, with the Bronze Timeless Open Comb that @matwho gifted me. That razor ALWAYS makes me look to see if it has a blade in it! Incredibly smooth. I almost have to use my lather a little wetter than I prefer. Crazy good engineering must have gone into that razor. That shave was nearly perfect, just short of BBS.

Yesterday I was not feeling as well as I'd like, and had a wedding to attend. So I shaved in the shower for use #6 with that blade. I used a Schick Krona, with bar soap and Barbasol foam put on top of the soap. This one was BBS. I will probably shave Monday night, as I have a doctor's appointment Tuesday. Lol, I JUST MUST look better than I feel, ya know!

But I have the feeling that no matter how well I perform my "incredibly handsome face prep" that I will be blessed if I can get many more shaves out of this blade. I was shooting for ten shaves, but I think 8 will be pushing it! Perhaps if I use a Slant Razor I can hit 10....?

Mystteerree Blade 'X' Series Personna Shave No 11

Razor: Gillette Super Speed c.1949
Blade: Personna 'X' Series
Soap: Palmolive Classic Shaving Cream
Brush: English 'New Forest' Badger
IMG_20220515_205012430.jpg

Gave the good old Super Speed a spin today. I was a bit rushed so I tried to keep it authentic, a 'regular guy's' shave from say 1949. Just a good face wash, some Palmolive, (I wish I had some tubed Barbasol) a brush and 3 passes.

Putting the X blade into the Super Speed confirmed my hunch that this blade is no longer able to deal with growth at its former level. But it is a very slow and graceful decline, no sudden horrors with a nightmare rough tuggy edge. These blades just slowly wind down, but they are very civilised about it, no drama.

However I am judging these blades from a high bar. Many other 'premium' blades (I count this Personna offering as very close) would be in a worse state than this one at shave #11. Also I got an excellent DFS+ result, which is a factor.

As has been mentioned by colleagues, these blades tend to plateau in their performance. They can stay like this for a couple dozen more shaves. They just do not know when to quit, which can be a problem if you like taking blades to exhaustion. They should have been called the Personna 'Z' or Zombie blade.

Anyway, I shall continue to use this blade to shave 20, mostly in the OC's and adjustables at high settings, and will break out one of the other Mystteerree blades, just for jollies for the next shave.

A lovely drama free DFS+ result.

Last edited:
My second Mysteree blade is another new-to-me blade. As far as I know, this is not widely considered a top tier brand, though I know it does have its fans who would certainly consider some of its blades top tier. I also know this brand makes a lot of blades, and I have no idea where this particular one falls within their offerings. All this to say, I really had no idea what to expect!
Todays guess: Asco orange Sharp Titanium

You have phrased this very craftily, intentional or not. The problem with it being from Treet is that nobody considers any of it's blades top tier. They may like them, but nobody is that foolish right? It kind of sounds like how things might go with a Dura Sharp, which does fit with the confusion over where these fall in the lineup. If it is a Lord blade, that would be purely a guessing game. Sharp does have at least half a dozen blades and only one other that could be considered actually sharp, for an Indian Bangladeshi blade... :cursing:

Mon 16 Mysteree-X Blade#1 Shave#11
Soap
Stirling Executive Man
Brush Yaqi 24mm Purple Haze Mew Brown
Razor Yaqi Slant
Blade Persona X Series 11th use
Aftershaves Stirling Witchhazel Bergamot Lavender + Stirling Executive Man Splash
Excellent soap qualities. A very nice scent and rich creamy slick lather...super!
The shave with 1 of my most aggressive & rarely used razors turns out to be quite tamed and enjoyable all due to the great blade plus a shim. 3 fast, easy, smooth, and relatively comfortable passes for a dfs+ finish without any issues. The matching aftershave was just great!
20220516_092600.jpg

Razor: Leaf Twig
Blade: Tatra Platinum 0.5 shave 5
Brush: Alpha t400 w/ghost knot 👻
Soap: Stirling Glacial Satsuma 🍊
AS: Oleo Bonaire

Excellent nearly effortless shave again. These are pretty good for longevity they stay the same, I don't think I have noticed any change in sharpness or smoothness.

Todays guess: Asco orange Sharp Titanium
Not Sharp Titanium. 🙂

A38B9ECB-6029-4B7C-8058-C4166F9E7515.jpeg

Mysteree blade #2, shave #2
1 day growth
Preshave: warm shower
Brush: Maggard Timberwolf (18mm synth)
Cream: Speick
Razor: Henson Al-13+++
Aftershave: alum, Nancy Boy replenishing gel

This blade that seemed to so easily plow through everything yesterday afternoon did have a bit of tugging tonight. Not uncomfortable, but definitely noticeable. Can it really slow down this quickly, or was it something did differently? I don't know.

One thing I definitely did differently was pay better attention to angle and pressure. No weepers on the first pass, not even my neck, but due to the increased resistance, I did a XTG pass on my mustache and chin rather than attacking ATG straight away as planned. Cleaned up my cheeks, jawline, and tried to clean up my neck, but I kept it very light to avoid a repeat of yesterday, then ATG on my chin and finally mustache. Since (almost) no shave is complete without weepers, I got myself 1 on each corner just above my lip as I was finishing up.

End result is a DFS. 2 weepers, almost no alum feedback other than around my lips, but above my lips is still definitely irritated. We'll see if it still is at all in the morning, it's crazy-late right now, but I didn't feel like waiting to until tomorrow to post.

5.93/10

Gonna switch back over to the Lupo for my next few shaves.

I think this is #7 Mystery X blade
This time half head and half face using RR Lupo DC
The other half to test new Nacet from Amazon in a Ranger Tech (2nd use for me).
SV O
Brush RR N400

I started w the OC side of the Lupo....too much pulling.....had to transition to the scalloped bar/ .90, this had some tugging but tolerable. The first pass left more stubble vs the Nacet side.

2nd pass was better.....and got a good shave no issues, Nacet might be closer?

Face a bit of pulling w Lupo/ Mystery X again.....but all in all NOT bad, close shave no irritation......

AS Proraso Red (more burning on the Nacet side)

AB Speck.

not sure which razor next....maybe time for half a blade? but I don't like those..... will figure out....

For some reason I'm finding myself struggling to get to BBS these days with anything regardless of razor or blade, but perhaps my standards for BBS are higher than they used to be as well as my technique improves.
My standards are definitely higher. When I started with a DE, it felt so much smoother than I ever got with a cartridge. But as I've tried to improve, I've become more self-critical and will notice anything I miss. I don't think a perfect BBS is even attainable, at least not to me, but I cause a lot of trouble for myself trying to get as close to BBS as I can.

Mystery blade time!

Gillette Silver Blue edge 1 shave 1. Wilkinson Sword Classic (plastic) razor, LEA stick, YaQi 22mm Tuxedo.

I'm travelling for work, so I'll be shaving daily this week - hence the GSB. As I'll be using the same set-up all week I may aggregate subsequent shave reports, but since this is the first, it gets its own post.

72 hrs growth, it feels like a long time since I've faced that. I was concerned whether I could apply enough soap, but the extra length of the bristles meant there was more of a reservoir.

My 'folk memory' of the GSB is that it needs one shave to strip off the teflon coating before hitting its stride, but this felt sharp straight out the wrapper. Now, I'm not accusing @Grundi of shipping part-used blades - from the appearance it was clear this wasn't the case, but there was no hanging around for this blade. There was one tiny neckline weeper - fortunately tiny enough for cold water to do the trick, as I didn't take a styptic.

All-in, a great shave & finish. I forgot how much I love GSBs!

Slim, have you used a Fatboy *giggle* and if so how does it compare to the Slim? I was unimpressed by my Fatboy (giggle again, I'm so mature!) and ended up selling it for the St. Sue auction. But I've never tried a Slim and wonder if I should get my birth quarter one?

And what color is your razor?
FarmreTan: I've never used a Fatboy. I'd love to compare, but the Fatboy prices are much steeper. My grandfather shaved with a Slim, and my brother inherited his razor. My brother doesn't use it, but he wouldn't give it up, so I bought my own. It's the usual color: nickel plated with brass showing through where it's worn. I'm starting to enjoy the look.

Mysteree-X shave May 15

Razor: Gillette NEW short comb
Blade: Sputnik (second use)
Aftershave: Captain's Choice eucalyptus, then A&E St. Barts when I needed more help on my neck

I did not have a smooth and trouble-free shave after switching to a smoother razor (from my Slim @8). I had hoped the Sputnik was sharpening up as its teflon coating wore down, but it didn't strike me as sharp, having trouble in the dense patches with and across the grain. Did extra beard-reduction passes for mustache and upper cheek and still got some mild weepers ATG.

The neck was again the worst. It wasn't as raw as the first shave, but still had significant irritation and stayed rashy. The bright side, as you'd expect, was that it was a closer shave than usual on my neck. It was also closer, and without irritation, on my jaw and sideburn corners, where I struggle to get BBS with mild razors such as the NEW.

All of this evidence -- not a sharp razor, but shaved closer than most -- seems consistent with what @Ron R has asserted: that Sputnik are a little wider than standard blades. I'm not sure what I do with that information, however. After two uses, I'm still puzzled how to approach the third shave.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Mysteree-X shave May 15

Razor: Gillette NEW short comb
Blade: Sputnik (second use)
Aftershave: Captain's Choice eucalyptus, then A&E St. Barts when I needed more help on my neck

I did not have a smooth and trouble-free shave after switching to a smoother razor (from my Slim @8). I had hoped the Sputnik was sharpening up as its teflon coating wore down, but it didn't strike me as sharp, having trouble in the dense patches with and across the grain. Did extra beard-reduction passes for mustache and upper cheek and still got some mild weepers ATG.

The neck was again the worst. It wasn't as raw as the first shave, but still had significant irritation and stayed rashy. The bright side, as you'd expect, was that it was a closer shave than usual on my neck. It was also closer, and without irritation, on my jaw and sideburn corners, where I struggle to get BBS with mild razors such as the NEW.

All of this evidence -- not a sharp razor, but shaved closer than most -- seems consistent with what @Ron R has asserted: that Sputnik are a little wider than standard blades. I'm not sure what I do with that information, however. After two uses, I'm still puzzled how to approach the third shave.
If you like a wider blade for mild razors I would stick with the Kai SS extra wide blade because it sharp & smooth with excellent longevity. Looks like I will not be buying the Sputnik blades. Thanks for sharing your experiences with the Sputnik blade.

If you like a wider blade for mild razors I would stick with the Kai SS extra wide blade because it sharp & smooth with excellent longevity. Looks like I will not be buying the Sputnik blades. Thanks for sharing your experiences with the Sputnik blade.
I'm just a single wily data point out here with inconsistent technique, so I can't say anyone else will have the same experience as me. FWIW, I did the Kai-versus-Feather challenge and didn't have great results with Kai. The Sputnik gets my problem jawline close, so if I figure out how to navigate the neck, it's possible that I end up really liking the blade. (It's also possible the blade becomes increasingly unavailable, so maybe you really can't win here.)

Top Bottom