What's new

Part hot, part cold water shave

I’m of the impression that the study of hair seem to suggest that hair is more easily cut when saturated by warm water.

I’m also off the impression that cold can feel more soothing in the face of any potential razor burn.

I typically shave with warm-to-hot water. I wonder if combining that with razor that is rinsed with cold water can get a best-of-both-words result.

perhaps I’ll try that on my next shave. Anyone else ever do that?
I started shaving with cold water in 1970, fast forward to today I still use cold water only for straights, cartridge and de razors. For the best shaves cold water can’t be beat imo. Good luck

While I don't think I'll ever use ice-water to shave with (just too inconvenient) I am finding that colder water, from start to finish, means a closer, more comfortable shave. I wasn't eager to give up using warm water (in large part, I think, because shaving with cold water just seems so very, very counter-intuitive) and I'm somewhat slow to change.

The experience, though, has been undeniable for me: colder water = a better shave. Hands down, full stop.

I use the hottest water I can stand on a washcloth to wet my face before shaving and between passes. After I am finished my last pass, I wash my face a couple of times with hot water to clean off the rest of the soap. Lastly, I pour some ice water on a washcloth and do my last cleanup with freezing water. Works for me.

While I don't think I'll ever use ice-water to shave with (just too inconvenient) I am finding that colder water, from start to finish, means a closer, more comfortable shave. I wasn't eager to give up using warm water (in large part, I think, because shaving with cold water just seems so very, very counter-intuitive) and I'm somewhat slow to change.

The experience, though, has been undeniable for me: colder water = a better shave. Hands down, full stop.

I agree that it’s counterintuitive. Warm/hot water should make hair easier to cut according to hair properties, right.

I really do enjoy the blade being cold though while keeping the water/lather warm.

My $0.02:

Shaving with cold water to reduce irritation suggests one hasn't mastered a proper shaving technique.

Well, it’s definitely true that I’ve not mastered things. I shave too fast and hard. When I can slow down, I’m not irritated and weeper free.

Top Bottom