What's new

Parler is Back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Parler, the free-speech social media platform which was shut down in early January, is back in operation with a new ISP, a new interim CEO, and a new logo. The app has been functioning since Monday, and the web site is now back up and running. The merchandise web-page is apparently not yet back on line.

I'm just getting to the point of being able to remove political posts from Facebook easily, I doubt Parler is a place for me. That said, I do appreciate the idea of a freer exchange platform.
130206662_10221489026349455_3085153330135241039_o.jpg

More noise and that is what it is, noise. Tune it out. I think the world could use less social media, not more. I also think people would be better served taking a walk, going to a museum, riding a bike, playing golf, feeding the pigeons (insert anything other than spending time on social media). Just my 2 cents.

With that said, I do not consider B&B and other hobby forums social media. This is a place where I hope that those who do spend too much time on social media can get away from the noise if they are not inclined to take a walk, go to a museum etc, etc.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
More noise and that is what it is, noise. Tune it out. I think the world could use less social media, not more. I also think people would be better served taking a walk, going to a museum, riding a bike, playing golf, feeding the pigeons (insert anything other than spending time on social media). Just my 2 cents.

With that said, I do not consider B&B and other hobby forums social media. This is a place where I hope that those who do spend too much time on social media can get away from the noise if they are not inclined to take a walk, go to a museum etc, etc.
I could not agree more. There is a tribalism and division today like I have never seen in my lifetime; a total unwillingness to accept that others may have a different opinion to one's own. People choose products, jobs, investments, friends, and who knows what else along political lines in a way that never used to be the case. I suspect that 'social media' may be in part to blame as many people choose to exist in an echo chamber where nobody disagrees with them. In my view it is harmful to society and the individual and the world would be a better place without it; it is certainly harmful to my mental health which is why I avoid social media entirely. Thankfully B&B is a place where one can come to get away from all that and long may it continue.

Well said. So much of social media has become a place where diverse opinion is not allowed. Discussion becomes name-calling.
I recall before FB and Twitter when you could have an in-person civil discussion on practically any topic. Now, it has become three-word tweets or blurbs.

Well said. So much of social media has become a place where diverse opinion is not allowed. Discussion becomes name-calling.
I recall before FB and Twitter when you could have an in-person civil discussion on practically any topic. Now, it has become three-word tweets or blurbs.

I think it's more about self selection, than "not being allowed". For example, B&B self selects for people who wish to avoid getting into political wrangles by outright banning them, and any discussion of same. So, too with the various social sites . . . FB sets up for viewpoint "A", Parler for viewpoint "B", and so on.

To me, the whole thing is fraught with divisive peril.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
"I have zee membersheep at par-lay."

1613760662912.png

"Ooh ... 'par-LAY' ... ooh, how fancy!"

1613760710929.png

"It's pronounced 'PAR-ler' ... say it right, Frenchie!!"

1613760762003.png

And as a result, "soundbite pownage" has filtered back into how people now deal with each other in person on serious issues.

1613761100435.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom