What's new

Parking space thieves

Breathe in. Breathe out.

Okay. As folks know, we had a little snow here in the DC area. Twenty three inches of snow to be exact. The morning after the big snow, most of the responsible people in my townhouse development decided it was time to dig out. Keep in mind my use of the word "responsible".

Each of the units has a single assigned parking space adjacent to an unassigned one. They are usually pretty close to right in front of our units. There are others in overflow around the grassy area in the center of the development as well.

I got up a little earlier than others and got my two spaces done before other folks joined me, so when others started on theirs I just helped them dig out as well. I even did the solid of digging out a couple vacant spaces in overflow to give folks a chance to park elsewhere.

My next door neighbor on my right is an Afghan war vet with cancer, so I decided to help him and his wife dig out their two spots as well. He did what he could, but I didn't want him stressing himself being on chemo and all.

My next door neighbor on the other side, however, are four 20 something kids with four cars between them. They got up around 2pm, didn't lift a shovel to even dig out their own spot (singular) and MOVED THEIR CARS INTO THE SPOTS WE CLEARED IN FRONT OF OUR HOUSES.

I mean, ***??? What kind of rumpmonkey freaking steals a parking spot from a war vet on chemo at Christmas??

I just about wanted to brain them all with my shovel.

If they are parking in spots not assigned to them, call the tow trucks.

They are pretty good about parking in the unassigned spots, but the fact that they haven't lifted a freaking shovel to help dig out AND they've got twice the number of cars everyone else does AND they're parking in spots cleared by others is not exactly earning them the goodwill of their neighbors. It's not illegal, but is sure as hell is a phallus-headed thing to do.

I'm with mmack66, though would take a step before doing that. Ring their door and tell them that they need to shovel their own spots out and move their cars within the hour or you will call the tow truck.

Shovel the adjacent spot and pile all of the snow behind the offending vehicle. Although I suppose the gentlemanly thing to do would be to challenge the parking space thief to a duel.

Well, if you want to be passive aggressive and petty about it you could always shovel them back in. Put a huge pile of snow directly behind each car up to about the trunk height.

Of course, if you're the type of stand up guy who helps a vet with cancer you're probably above that. But you know, in case you aren't...

I knocked on their door and told them that they chose to live in this neighborhood and that it was in their best interests to be considerate to those around them. I think it left an impression. At least they moved two of their cars to overflow parking (spots I cleared btw) and dug theirs out.

Now I don't have to clear another spot in my crawl space.

In some Bostron neighborhoods people dig their car from the streets public spaces and leave chairs and stuff to reserve what they digged. Anyone who takes the space, risk their tires or paint finish.
Street Justice

Only if you challenge by slapping them in the face with a glove.

Having recently completed shoveling the parking spots, I am sure a glove would not be too far away. ;)

proxy.php

Ring their door and tell them that they need to shovel their own spots out and move their cars within the hour or you will call the tow truck.
+1 That's what I would do as well. I used to call the tow truck all the time when people parked in the space that was assigned to me and that I paid a monthly fee for.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
That sucks. Even if you can't do much about it, I would ring their door and ask them to dig their own holes. If they don't want to, bury the cars!

A couple of years back I was digging my wheels out of a parking lot after a big snow. I did one side, carrying the snow to the curb, did the front of the vehicle, and proceeded to do the other side. A neighbor started to dig himself out, he was parked right next to me. So what did he do? He piled the snow in front of my vehicle! When I saw that he was working on the far side of his vehicle so I quickly moved all of that snow back in front of his vehicle. He came around, saw the snow, looked at me, and started to carry the snow to the curb.

I am so glad I live in Dallas. I only have to deal with "snow" (really just a sleet and ice mix) one or two days a year.

Sorry to hear about the disrespect of you young neighbors, but good on ya for letting them know of their foul in a respectful and dignified manner.

I knocked on their door and told them that they chose to live in this neighborhood and that it was in their best interests to be considerate to those around them. I think it left an impression. At least they moved two of their cars to overflow parking (spots I cleared btw) and dug theirs out.

Now I don't have to clear another spot in my crawl space.

Now the question is, was it your words or the cold steel of a desert eagle pressed into their foreheads that left the impression?:lol:

I figure there is no point in *** for tat asshattery. Letting folks know their foul and that there are consequences to being inconsiderate is usually enough.

Now if they popped attitude, I might have had to drag them out and curb stomp them.

I would politely ask them to move their cars as you clearly have assigned spots. if they don't comply call the towing company. this type of behaviour is inexcusable

After the storm of 03, we had the same type of behavior on the part of those who watched the majority of the neighbors working together but would not come out and help.

When their cars were parked in our spots, we "politely" parked our cars close enough on either side of them that they were unable to get out until either driver moved. Of course, at this point we would switch to using our other car. Being unable to get into their cars, they were now forced to face those who had done the work and seen them peering out of their windows-unfortunately, 'we' did not have time to move our cars and the police could not help them as we were legally parked!

No face 2 face exchanges were needed-they got the point and helped during the next storm.:laugh: BTW, I live in Hagerstown,Md and we got over 20 inches of snow(Hello, Whitetail!).

Funny, no one pulled into our spaces this time.........

marty

Top Bottom