What's new

Parker Variant, which setting works for you?

You can get replacement Merkur caps off the Bay also, just look for the long threaded ones, they are there and any long threaded Merkur cap will fit perfectly. If you have a Progress, just use that cap
Thank you for suggesting the workaround. Ordered a Merkur cap and it is on the way. I will update whenever I take it for a spin.

+1 Kai, 4-5 and it’s a wrap....

Gus, would you say this combo is smooth and comfortable? Or does it have a lot of blade feel? I am usually a middle setting kind of guy on most adjustables (including the Variant) except the Slim or Fatboy which I like a little higher, but I also don't prefer a lot of blade forward feel. How would you say this combo of the Kai on 4-5 is with the Variant? Thanks for your input

Gus, would you say this combo is smooth and comfortable? Or does it have a lot of blade feel? I am usually a middle setting kind of guy on most adjustables (including the Variant) except the Slim or Fatboy which I like a little higher, but I also don't prefer a lot of blade forward feel. How would you say this combo of the Kai on 4-5 is with the Variant? Thanks for your input

It’s actually quite good. I wouldn’t necessarily call it forward blade feel but, you definitely feel more blade throughout the whole range of adjustment. The beauty of the Variant or any adjustable that is substantial in weight, (such as the Rex, Rocnel Sailor, Futur, Progress and a few others including fixed de’s) I have found that once you get the angle to your liking a controlled fall is best on how I describe in performing a north to south pass. With the bit of extra blade feel and exposure, the less time that steel is on one’s face the better the result. It’s a mixture of the feel of steel, light touch and balance on the angle throughout the stroke. Once you get that angle and your comfortable with that feel, it’s like straight shaving. Feel the steel, control and balance the blade, smooth sailing. Same principle, but you’re not using line of sight as you would with a straight as a safety razor obscures the point of contact with the skin. Your relying mostly on feel and comfort, then muscle memory takes over.

Thank you for suggesting the workaround. Ordered a Merkur cap and it is on the way. I will update whenever I take it for a spin.

Once you get it, let me know and I’ll tell you how to calibrate it easily. I use the number under the cap side to dial it in with the adjustment numbers. The side where the number is located is my “arrow” point basically. I use the handle turn method, really easy.

Once you get it, let me know and I’ll tell you how to calibrate it easily. I use the number under the cap side to dial it in with the adjustment numbers. The side where the number is located is my “arrow” point basically. I use the handle turn method, really easy.
Please tell us.
I already have both so swopping caps is easy.

Take the blade out first. Put the Merkur cap on with either the slot if applicable or bottom number (Merkur cap) facing the alignment slot on the baseplate of the Variant. Tighten up the razor and observe approximately how far you have to go, right or left to reach the lowest adjustment number on the bottom dial. I use + as a starting point because the Merkur cap makes the Variant almost 2 settings more aggressive. Loosen the dial. With the head of the razor in a towel, grip it snugly and turn the handle right or left in small increments as you keep the head stationary. It will turn at the top of the handlle, just below that collar. Don’t bend the handle, it is brass, just keep it straight and turn as the head stays still in the towel. After each minor turn of the handle, tighten the razor each time see how far you have to go until the lowest adjustment number you want is dialed in.

I learned this from Mantic59 on one of his Progress YouTube videos. He does it with a Progress but it also works perfectly with the Variant. Really simple to do. You can always turn it back to reuse the original Variant cap or dial in another Merkur cap. All long threaded Merkur top caps work and fit perfectly regardless if it is a Progress cap.

Couldn't find any on the bay, wondering where to look next... Any suggestions? Thanks
I’ve mentioned this plenty of times, but if you have a Merkur Progress cap or want to pick up any long threaded Merkur cap (All identical at this point), it makes the Variant much smoother with any blade and fits under the nose better. It makes it a tad lighter also. I prefer Kai blades in it but this depends on the user of course.

Couldn't find any on the bay, wondering where to look next... Any suggestions? Thanks

I just searched, “merkur razor replacement parts” on the Bay and it is several postings down. I don’t think B and B wants me to post sellers or price, but you can see it there. Same person I purchased from a while back.

I just searched, “merkur razor replacement parts” on the Bay and it is several postings down. I don’t think B and B wants me to post sellers or price, but you can see it there. Same person I purchased from a while back.

I think I mentioned this before but all the long threaded modern Merkur caps are identical. The cap specific to the Progress will have a side notch, but you can use the number beneath the cap to line it up also if there is no alignment notch. For my sons, I lined theirs up with the side the number is stamped on so there is no guess work after cleaning the razor.

Attachments

• 655421DC-D482-4DFA-BE39-7316F8B0F9C2.jpeg
    655421DC-D482-4DFA-BE39-7316F8B0F9C2.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 30
  • C30F700E-A3AF-4105-8473-F2C5EA32EC7D.jpeg
    C30F700E-A3AF-4105-8473-F2C5EA32EC7D.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 27
Last edited:
That's what i needed. Thank you very much

I use a Merkur Progress, which is similar enough. German Wilkinson Swords work surprisingly well. I easily get 8-10 shaves out of them, and they are super smooth.

I just start very mild, and increase the adjustment with each pass, before turning it down to a low setting at the end to tidy up.

Question for the group. I have a Variant on the way and I'm pretty excited to use it. As for blades, I purchased a 100 pack of Feathers that I've been using with my first cheap kit purchased safety razor, a Fatip Grande I got for Xmas and soon with my variant. I haven't seen anyone talking about Feathers with the Variant. Why? What 2 or 3 blades would be your top pick?

I use a Progress, but the geometry is almost identical, so it should suit similar blades.

I find sharp blades are less necessary than in other razors.

I have thick, wiry hair, and anything less sharp than an Astra is usually less than ideal. But in the Progress, I find no difference between “middle of the road” blades and the sharper ones. In fact, the less-sharp blades are better because they reduce the chance of nicks or irritation on a bad day.

So I use German Wilkinson Sword blades exclusively in the Progress. I like them because they last forever, and are readily available here. But your favourite “moderate” blade will probably work just as well.

Question for the group. I have a Variant on the way and I'm pretty excited to use it. As for blades, I purchased a 100 pack of Feathers that I've been using with my first cheap kit purchased safety razor, a Fatip Grande I got for Xmas and soon with my variant. I haven't seen anyone talking about Feathers with the Variant. Why? What 2 or 3 blades would be your top pick?
I often use Feathers in my Variant but not regularly as I like sharp blades but Feathers is not very comfortable on my skin. But for a really close shave no blades beat it. Variant is adjustable so I don't have issues setting up Feather blade on 2 and finish on 3.
My other go to blades on variant are Polsilver and Gillette Blacks in same order of preference. Both works for me at setting 2.5 to 3.5

Thanks Marlor. I'm thinking of possible a Gillette Black as it's been recommended a handful of times. But I'd still like to give the Feathers a try. May need a transfusion. Lol

Heretic, I may go with your recommendations. Are both available on Amazon? Really appreciate your help. Great bunch of guys on this form very helpful.

Top Bottom