What's new

Parker Variant Pass Around Tour

Second shave was much better but it's still a little bulky under the nose for me. Anyone else running into this?

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

I want it too.
It seem like we might be getting one but it turned into a waste of money so far.
What happened to the Laser Razor?

Ron
I feel bad for the guys who pledged for that. It's either a scam or incredibly dishonest, considering they are going on two years since the promised ship date, very few updates that give no specifics, and not one video of the claimed improved prototype in all that time.

They very clearly misled people on the state of the project when they asked them to give. And it wasn't a small ask either... they made people pay $299, which is enough to buy even the most luxurious DE razors made today, and probably more.

Hi all.
I have been out of town at a Metaphysical Hypnosis conference in Sarasota Fl.
It was nice to have the razor waiting for me when I got home from the conference.
The first shave was last night with a new PolSilver in the razor as that is what I have been using in my Progress XL and my Futur clone so I would have a base line to compare the Variant to.
I'm using the same brush and the same soap to limit any errors between them.
I shave every two days.
I started it out for the first pass on one.
So far the results are the same as with the other two razors.
I could stop there with some buffing for a DFS.
Decided to finish it as a BBS.
I turned the nob to 5.
This is the way I would normally do it.
With a little clean up after the pass at 5 setting, I ended up with a BBS.
My thoughts so far is this.
Basically there is no difference in the end results between the three razors.
It will come down to what feels good in your hand.
I will say if this was my razor I would be very unhappy with it peeling paint on the handle.
I'm not sure if Parker has address that problem yet.
It should have an anodized sleeve instead of painted.
Also except for the head it seemed rough and unfinished.
Like I said, with them being so close in price it will come down to feel in the hand.
If there is no change in the next couple of shaves I will be keeping my Futur clone and releasing the others so others may enjoy them.
I have decided that the Focus Dynamic razor will be my number one razor.
The Futur clone will be my DE adjustable razor.
I will be going through all of my other DE's and SE's to find the few gems among them before releasing the others.
Shave pastor you need to PM me your address now as I will be packing it up to mail this weekend.
Same thing for Chef Glenn in case Shave pastor does not respond by the time I'm ready to send the razor on.
Ron

Thanks for getting in touch Robert.
I will get the box ready.
Hopefully more will see the pass around and take advantage while it's still available to do so.
It helped me make up my mind.
If I had tried it out before the Futur clone, I would have been satisfied with the shave from it.
Just not the craftsmanship.
The Futur clone is better crafted IMHO.
Plus I paid around $10 for it and the stand.
Yes I did have to wait around 6 weeks for it but it was well worth it IMHO.
Now you can buy one from someone in the states for around $20.
Still a bargain IMHO.
It will still come down to how it feels in your hand.
I did not have any trouble holding on to any of the razors but this is the one point that the Variant might make a little difference.

Ron

Last shave with the Parker.
Two pass with very little clean up for a BBS.
I could have stopped at one pass and clean up for a DFS.
I really like the PolSilver blades.
I think it gets better with this blade after a couple of shaves.
Too bad they don't make them any more.
Last thoughts on it before shipping to ShavePastor is this.
No I would not buy one.
My Futur clone is better made IMHO and there is no difference in the out come of the shave.
Thank you for giving me a chance to try it out though.
Shipping it out tomorrow morning.
Ron

Last shave with the Parker.
Two pass with very little clean up for a BBS.
I could have stopped at one pass and clean up for a DFS.
I really like the PolSilver blades.
I think it gets better with this blade after a couple of shaves.
Too bad they don't make them any more.
Last thoughts on it before shipping to ShavePastor is this.
No I would not buy one.
My Futur clone is better made IMHO and there is no difference in the out come of the shave.
Thank you for giving me a chance to try it out though.
Shipping it out tomorrow morning.
Ron
I couldn't agree more it's a nice razor but I like my Gillette slim adjustable and Qshave Futur clone better especially when factoring in the price.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

I have received the Variant & will be using it tomorrow morning. My initial thoughts were how noticeable the weight was & how well built it feels.

Looking forward to trying it, thanks to the owner for allowing me to be a part of the pass around tour!

ShavePastor,
I hope you enjoy the razor. Please remember this particular Variant was one of the first “black” Variants made. The finish was failing so I contacted the vendor Super Safety Razors.

It was replaced with a “graphite” one which is flawless. The vendor SSR didn’t want it back so I started this Pass Around. I figured it would be appropriate to take SSR’s generosity and put it to good use.

Cheers
John

Thank you John for sharing your abundance with us.
I was wondering if the fix was working as "graphite" is very slippery.
The one thing I did like was that although the finish was sub par and the cutting of the barrel felt sharp, it stuck to your fingers and there was very little if any room for slippage.
So now after thinking about it for a while I feel this way.
I would buy the Variant over the Progress XL.
It costs less and is equal to it when it comes to shaving.
The Variant is easy for me to grip in my old age due to it's girth.
I would buy it over a real Merkur Futur for the same reason.
However my Merkur Futur clone is still the winner for me.
It's easy to hold and I have had no problems with it slipping in my hand.
I also have not had any problems with blade alignment like some have with the clones and the real thing.
Even though I'm a cold water shaver now, I used it in the shower in the beginning and found it just as easy to use.
The construction and finish is very good.
Plus I only paid $12 for it and it's stand even though I had to wait 6 weeks to get it.
That's a winner in my book IMHO.
Ron

Thank you John for sharing your abundance with us.
I was wondering if the fix was working as "graphite" is very slippery.
The one thing I did like was that although the finish was sub par and the cutting of the barrel felt sharp, it stuck to your fingers and there was very little if any room for slippage.
So now after thinking about it for a while I feel this way.
I would buy the Variant over the Progress XL.
It costs less and is equal to it when it comes to shaving.
The Variant is easy for me to grip in my old age due to it's girth.
I would buy it over a real Merkur Futur for the same reason.
However my Merkur Futur clone is still the winner for me.
It's easy to hold and I have had no problems with it slipping in my hand.
I also have not had any problems with blade alignment like some have with the clones and the real thing.
Even though I'm a cold water shaver now, I used it in the shower in the beginning and found it just as easy to use.
The construction and finish is very good.
Plus I only paid $12 for it and it's stand even though I had to wait 6 weeks to get it.
That's a winner in my book IMHO.
Ron

Ron,

I don’t find the graphite version slippery at all. The knurling on the satin chrome version is slightly “crisper” than the graphite but both are very grippy.
I prefer the Variant over the Progress/Mergress. I own both the Progress, Mergress XL’s. They are both fine razors also.
I agree about the Futur clone. For the money it’s hard to beat. I have ever found my Futur or clone to be slippery when wet either.
I would love to buy a couple and play around in a machine shop with them.

Cheers
John

Sunday morning shave with the Variant:

What I noticed straight away is that the audible feedback of this razor is more than any other razors I have. I really enjoyed that because it gave me another sensory indicator besides feel to know when the optimum shaving angle was right.

Also it is very hefty which I also like. Didn't have much stubble to shave so I put it setting 1 for a mild 3 pass shave. I was surprised at how well setting 1 worked! End result was BBS on cheeks & almost BBS everywhere on neck. Very nice indeed! I shave every two days so next report will come Tuesday.

Also Chef Glen feel free to PM me your address info so I can be getting ready it for shipment later this week.

Initial impressions so far after one use: worked really good with GSB blade, seems really well built, had no issues under the nose, the cosmetics aren't that bad, & the grip was excellent. I shall report back Tuesday.

2nd shave with the Variant. Used a new Personna blue in it, turned it up to setting 2, did a two pass + buffing in some spots, & WOW!! What a nice shave I had. Still really enjoy that audible feedback.

My stubble is hard & wirery but grows slow so I shave every two days.

I like this razor better the second time. I could see myself getting one for sure.

The Variant is headed to you Chef Glenn! My impressions of this razor are very good. I want one now! Especially the satin chrome version.

I sound like a broken record, but the hefty feel & weight plus the audible feedback of this razor for me makes it an incredible shaver. The optimal angle is intuitive & irritation is non-existent. Really enjoyed using this! Thanks John.

Thanks Robert!

I got the razor today, looking forward to the first shave tomorrow morning...unless I get impatient and
get up in middle of night to try it. LOL. First impressions very favorable, weight feels nice,
grip is impressive, but the shave will tell. Will plan on sending it along Friday am.
thank you for this opportunity!

Glenn

Top Bottom