What's new

Parker Variant Pass Around Tour

No problem, hope it helps somebody make their own aftershave. Next trick is to make a balm, you can't just add the oil to unscented balm, I tried.

I have heard back from LevelUpShaves, and will be shipping to him tomorrow morning.

Razor is on it's way to LevelUpShaves. Before packaging and mailing this morning, I got up a little early and squeezed in a final shave, the thoroughly cleaned & soaked the Variant in barbicide. She's probably cleaner than when she arrived to me.....I'm paranoid and actually cleaned and soaked it before using it myself, nothing against the prior participant, it's just me.

Anyway, onto the shave. This morning I bloomed my Tabac while showering, and whipped of a fantastically rich creamy lather using the 30mm Synthetic I made, that has enough back-bone to make embarrass a Pro49 Boar Brush. (No oil, just the shower and a tiny bit of hair conditioner rubbed on my face during the shower). Kept the same Personna Blue from yesterday, but this time decided to see what the Variant can do on the lowest settings and turned it down to 1! - I'm a daily shaver, so it's not like I'm removing multiple days growth, or a full beard on a shave.

Pass #1, wow, even on setting 1, the Variant is highly efficient, more so than my Rockwell with plate R1, which takes a good four passes and clean up. Efficiency is around the Rockwell with R3, give or take, with the dial on 1. The Variant even at this setting removed most of the growth, I would say more so than even my Slim H4 on setting 5, very impressive. No nicks, cuts, or drama, it just went about it's way with good feedback.

Pass #2, Up the Neck and cheeks, just like before, across the lip, and damn, I'm BBS in most areas. I could have stopped here and been DFS and certainly good enough for work. I'm definitely closer than an electric would do, and pretty much BBS by the end of pass #2. Still no nicks, cuts, or weepers.

Pass #3, which is really more a clean-up pass, but I went over my entire face again, as Tabac is one of the soaps I really like anyway. Went ear to mouth, or lobe to chin which is mostly ATG for me, as my growth is close to Paul H's, if you've ever seen his videos. End result after pass #3, I'm full BBS and silky smooth again. - Setting 1 returned the same shave as setting 2.5 on a daily growth using a Personna blade. Applied some of my Old-Spice home brewed aftershave, no real feedback at all, just like yesterday.

What I've learned about the Variant that might help the others, is that like the Progress it's based off of, the Variant is VERY blade sensitive and the blade can make or break the shave. Super sharp isn't the answer, you'll have a slightly rough shave from around 1.5+, not Schone or Fatip aggressive, just not as smooth as some other razors (Rockwell, Slim, or QShave) with too sharp or aggressive a blade. On a like token, the less than sharp or dull blades, like say the Green Derby blades, you might as well shave with a butter knife....I've always hated that blade, and not even the Variant can redeem it, although it did at least get near DFS with some tugging. The Personna Blues I have seemed to work the best, good smoothness and very good efficiency. You also don't need to go whole hog wide open to obtain a good shave, with good technique, the lower settings work fantastically with this razor. I for one CANNOT get this close a shave with a Gillette Adjustable on setting under say 4-5, no matter how I use it, and I'd rate my technique as pretty darn good at this point. It's my stiff, sort of wiry graying growth, although I can get a good shave with a Tech, so go figure.

Anyway, glad to have had the opportunity to enjoy the Variant for the past week, and I've added the last couple of Personna Blues I had into the mix of blades with the razor for the next couple of participants to try. - They're in the Super-Iridium Tuck, in plain white wrappers.

So compared to the Progress and Q shave where would you place the Variant?
Or more to the point seeing that I'm wanting to thin the amount of razors I have, the Q shave will probably be the one I end up keeping.
But I'm keeping an open mind.
I prefer the Progress to the Q shave but it doesn't seem to be enough to keep it.
I'm going to now start using the latter two so I will be able to compare when it gets to me.
Thanks for all the write ups and sharing your info on home brew after shaves.
Ron

Having owned a Progress in the past, which I sold, liking my Rockwell that much more, the Variant is significantly better than the Progress I owned. (My Progress would have been before the the reported new dies went into production). The Variant seems much smoother than I remember the Progress, yet also seems to be more efficient. - I don't recall EVER having been BBS after three passes, and had some irritation after those three passes with my Progress, which isn't the case with the Variant.

The Variant is also heavier hands down, it's a tank, it makes both the Qshave and Rockwell feel like light weights, and the Rockwell is one of the heavier razors I have. I really like the heft and the way it feels in my hand. It's also solid brass remember, which I rate as much more durable and higher quality than the zinc pot-metal which the Progress and QShave are made. Of course the Rockwell takes it to the next level being stainless (I have a 6S). Compared to the QShave/MingShi razors, I'd actually give the nod to the Variant all said and done, and I like my QShave. The QShave is a tiny bit smoother or more comfortable, but, the Variant is even more efficient than the QShave. The QShave is more neutral to different blades, I've loaded up Rapira (Lux & Stainless), Sharp Chrome, Pol-Silvers, Astra SP, KAI, Wilkinson Sword, and Feather and they were all comfortable in the QShave, the sharper blades were NOT as comfortable in the Variant. The Shark, Personna, and Wilkinson Swords I tried during one shave just to take a swipe or two for feel, were all smooth. The Variant also loaded strait and true every single time, the QShave occasionally needs the head nudged or push side to side to obtain even exposure side to side, which didn't occur with the Variant.

Now the one other small quirk, and I'm being fussy here, is that the blade wasn't entirely level along the edge unless turned all the way down on the Variant. I could visibly detect the gap was off, which you could see looking at the gap on each end of the adjustment plate, the side without the alignment marks would be greater than the side with the marks. It didn't appear to affect the quality of the shave, but there was a visible difference. - And darn it, I meant to snap a picture showing the difference. That slight tilt could be neutralized by apply a little pressure with one finger to the marked side, thereby temporarily tilting the head to the opposite side and leveling the gap, but went back upon removing the pressure. As I said, perhaps I'm nit-picking just a bit and other's might not even notice. (I can be a bit particular, and have pulled the bumper off my car just to correct a fraction of an inch alignment to the fenders, if that puts it in context).

My wife would probably take a fuss if I buy another razor, or I'd probably succumb and order one. I might just put it on my Christmas List and see if she, my in-laws, or somebody happens to give one to me. - She she can't complain at how many razors I've bought and own if it's gifted to me. (That or I need to part with a couple, but there's always sentimental reasons to keep one, it's your first, or your birth year/quarter, or it's the model your father owned, or it's more rare NDC Super Adjustable, you get the picture). Decisions, Decisions.

Progress would have been before the the reported new dies went into production
I looked it up on google and could not find out when this happened.
Mine is an XL handle model which is about a year old.
I actually have the Ming Shi 2000S but doubt it makes that much difference.
The shaves compared with my Ming Shi 2000S are very close to my Progress.
If all the razors are very close to each other then price comes into play so I will sell my adjustable DE's.
I will see how the Variant does and then decide.
It will have to be a OMG it's a lightsaber moment for me to buy one though.
Thanks for all the information.
Ron

I want the razor from Star-Trek TNG! - It was a light saber, or laser of some sort! There was an episode where Data gave Geordi a new razor, and commented on why he was using the old one, that was calibrated to his face.

Hows that for pulling a TV shaving scene out the air?

I received my Variant from Maggard's yesterday, and gave it a try this morning. I set it at 5, and dove in.

What a glorious shave. I use "aggressive" razors exclusively, and was wary of trying another adjustable. (I can't get a close shave with my Slim, even set at 9, no matter how I try.) The Variant is smooth and easy, and yet gives a tremendously close shave. I used my R41 2011 yesterday, and today's shave seems just as close, but much easier to achieve. I'm sold on this razor, after only one try. Perhaps I'll crank it up to 7 or 8 tomorrow.

I’ve been switching off the last month between my satin Variant and Mergress. I find I prefer the thinner head of the Mergress. The Variant’s heavy weight and long handle length are negatives for me although it’s a fantastic shaver. It should be. It’s a Progress. They both, for me, shave the same, that is great.

The adjustability and ‘tightness’ of the blade is exactly the same to me. I just prefer the ‘smaller’ size and maneuverability of the Mergress.

Whether that’s worth an extra $75 is an individual choice. I also like the Timeless copy (it is a copy) but always come back to the Mergress.

QUOTE="cyberdog, post: 9239284, member: 109719"]I want the razor from Star-Trek TNG! - It was a light saber, or laser of some sort! There was an episode where Data gave Geordi a new razor, and commented on why he was using the old one, that was calibrated to his face.

Hows that for pulling a TV shaving scene out the air?[/QUOTE]

Ok I'll bite.....

Shave close and prosper.

IMG_0409.JPG
IMG_0410.JPG
IMG_0411.JPG
IMG_0412.JPG
IMG_0413.JPG

I want the razor from Star-Trek TNG! - It was a light saber, or laser of some sort! There was an episode where Data gave Geordi a new razor, and commented on why he was using the old one, that was calibrated to his face.

Hows that for pulling a TV shaving scene out the air?
I want it too.
It seem like we might be getting one but it turned into a waste of money so far.
What happened to the Laser Razor?
I like my vintage razors any way so it is a wait and see kind of thing.
Now the one other small quirk, and I'm being fussy here, is that the blade wasn't entirely level along the edge unless turned all the way down on the Variant.

Could you explain what you mean by turned all the way down on the Variant?

Ron

Could you explain what you mean by turned all the way down on the Variant?

Ron

With the adjuster turned down, or at a setting below 1, about at the + sign, where the knob lightly bottoms out.

On the Variant and Progress, you turn the knob until fully bottomed out after loading a blade. Then you open (increasing setting and gap) to the desired setting.

I had another tremendous shave with the Variant today, my third. Day one was set at 5, yesterday was 5+, and today was 6. Today was just as efficient as my most aggressive razors (and just as intimidating). I might slip back to 5+ as my default, as it's so easy and so close.

I finf 4.5 to be just about right and I have used it on 5 and beyond with goos results, but 4.5 affords me a care free shave.

So first shave with the Variant was Monday set at 5 because why not right! It was nice at first but with it set that high the head itself is too high up/bulky to get the under nose area and around the chin. This is also more aggressive at 5 than a Gillette Slim at 9 or a Futur at 6. I’ll be turning the knob to 3.5 or 4 and I’ll report back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom