What's new

Parker Variant first use

This morning was my first time using a Parker Variant.

Out of the box it did not feel as heavy as others have described. Maybe it’s due to the fact that I’ve been using a rockwell 6s for the last year. The razor felt comfortable in my hand.

Looking at the base plate, it felt bigger than what I am used to. Made me wonder if it will be an awkward shave with a bigger razor. That was not the case. There is something about that design that did not make it awkward at all. I feel the design also allows for easier rinsing in between passes.

The one challenge I had was knowing when to stop twisting the bottom knob to secure the cap and line up the numbers. There is a mark on the handle for the numbers on the knob to adjust aggressiveness. The instructions say do not over tighten but I feel that’s up to one’s own interpretation. My question is when to know you’ve tighten it enough but not too tight?

For the first shave, I had a Personna blue with couple of shaves that I loaded on setting 3. During the shave, i can really feel the blade...did I not tighten it enough and setting 3 is actually setting 5 or more?

Overall, still happy with the way it shaved and will be experimenting with different settings and different blades.

This morning was my first time using a Parker Variant.

Out of the box it did not feel as heavy as others have described. Maybe it’s due to the fact that I’ve been using a rockwell 6s for the last year. The razor felt comfortable in my hand.

Looking at the base plate, it felt bigger than what I am used to. Made me wonder if it will be an awkward shave with a bigger razor. That was not the case. There is something about that design that did not make it awkward at all. I feel the design also allows for easier rinsing in between passes.

The one challenge I had was knowing when to stop twisting the bottom knob to secure the cap and line up the numbers. There is a mark on the handle for the numbers on the knob to adjust aggressiveness. The instructions say do not over tighten but I feel that’s up to one’s own interpretation. My question is when to know you’ve tighten it enough but not too tight?

For the first shave, I had a Personna blue with couple of shaves that I loaded on setting 3. During the shave, i can really feel the blade...did I not tighten it enough and setting 3 is actually setting 5 or more?

Overall, still happy with the way it shaved and will be experimenting with different settings and different blades.
I also cannot tell what tight enough is. When I feel it's tight enough, the number one does not line up at all. I love the Variant, but wish it was more precise on number alignments.

Variant is still my favorite adjustable currently in production that I've tried (includes Futur, Progress, Parthenon, 6c). I'm forgiving of the numbers not being an exact thing since it's a smooth adjustment as opposed to Gillette's vintage click-to-adjust model.

Smooth rotation makes for any level of adjustments. Fully closed the number 1 is shade left of star mark. I adjust as per blades aggression now.

I also cannot tell what tight enough is. When I feel it's tight enough, the number one does not line up at all. I love the Variant, but wish it was more precise on number alignments.

You can realign via the handle. Take blade out, secure head in a towel with one hand and turn the handle left or right (Depending) with other hand. It turns at the top of the handle right below that collar. Don’t bend, just turn in small increments. Takes minutes.

Works with Progress also.

You can realign via the handle. Take blade out, secure head in a towel with one hand and turn the handle left or right (Depending) with other hand. It turns at the top of the handle right below that collar. Don’t bend, just turn in small increments. Takes minutes.

Works with Progress also.
Thanks, I'll give it a try tonight!

Thanks, I'll give it a try tonight!

Small increments. Tighten and see where you are after every minor turn. I put The Merkur cap on my Variant and aligned it up this way. Like that cap better on my Variant more than stock. Really easy. I stole this from a Mantic59 video on YouTube where he does it with a Progress. I added the towel, I think it is easier that way.

Anyone know how this compares to the Merkur Progress in quality, aggressiveness, and obviously if the numbers align properly?

Brother THall,

Mantic also stressed he's not responsible if you break your razor while "doing the twist."

On my Parker Variant I tighten down the knob "slightly snugly" as if I were screwing the cap onto a tube of toothpaste or the cap onto a carton of milk. Translation: Firm enough so it will not accidentally loosen. On my razor the indicator dot is on the + just to the left of the 1, when I'm tightening the razor during blade loading.

The one thang I don't like about the Variant is the mark and numbers are a little hard to see without my reading glasses. So I took a toothpick, dipped it into some red nail polish and colored the round indicator dot and also the vertical line between the 3 and the 4, which is my favorite setting. BTW I'm a set it and leave user of adjustable razors, so this is a very minor issue.

Brother THall,

Mantic also stressed he's not responsible if you break your razor while "doing the twist."

On my Parker Variant I tighten down the knob "slightly snugly" as if I were screwing the cap onto a tube of toothpaste or the cap onto a carton of milk. Translation: Firm enough so it will not accidentally loosen. On my razor the indicator dot is on the + just to the left of the 1, when I'm tightening the razor during blade loading.

The one thang I don't like about the Variant is the mark and numbers are a little hard to see without my reading glasses. So I took a toothpick, dipped it into some red nail polish and colored the round indicator dot and also the vertical line between the 3 and the 4, which is my favorite setting. BTW I'm a set it and leave user of adjustable razors, so this is a very minor issue.

Did mine and 2 others for my boys to put the Merkur caps on. The handle is brass so all you have to do is make sure you don’t bend as I mentioned above, just turn. Slow increment turns, easy as pie. Not really that snug at all. Important to keep the knob loose when you turn. I did it tightened with the cap on the first try and this made it tougher to turn, much easier loose, then you put the cap back on, tighten to see where you are and do it as many times as needed.

I use the Merkur cap and set the initial setting for + as that cap makes the Variant more aggressive. As I mentioned on other posts, nice, smooth and fits mich better under the nose than the original cap.

I discovered how well the Merkur cap worked with it due to how I received my first razor. It was too tight upon receipt and actually led to the thread pulling out of the cap. Also how I learned the threads on the Parker are brass.

They sent a replacement, didn’t want the first one back, so it sat. I actually repaired the original cap with JB Weld but didn’t trust it on my face so I ordered a Merkur replacement cap to see if it fit. It did and wouldn’t think about using it any other way now.

I keep the cap just barely threaded, fairly loose when not in use, also I push down the baseplate when tightening to reduce pressure. My thoughts are that getting into this habit will make my razor last a decade or more longer.

Top Bottom