What's new

Parker Slant Razor

I got one in today and had my first shave with it. I am used to aggressive razors and they never seem to be a problem for me. This razor I found to be quite aggressive. Now I will admit I do not ride the head-cap. I don't do that with any razor I use. GEMs or anything else. Don't usually have a problem but with this razor I was afraid I was going to rip my face off.
I have to say I don't like it at all. I don't how Parker can say it's a mild slant. This could be the worst slant razor I have ever tried and I tried at least several. This one is going back.
I got mine in July and mine gives a nice shave. Of course I have the decades of shaving experience that the younger crowd lacks & can get a great shave from all my razors.

It's easy to blame the razor. It's more difficult to develop the skill to become master over your tools.

I got one in today and had my first shave with it. I am used to aggressive razors and they never seem to be a problem for me. This razor I found to be quite aggressive. Now I will admit I do not ride the head-cap. I don't do that with any razor I use. GEMs or anything else. Don't usually have a problem but with this razor I was afraid I was going to rip my face off.
I have to say I don't like it at all. I don't how Parker can say it's a mild slant. This could be the worst slant razor I have ever tried and I tried at least several. This one is going back.
I've tried 186 slants so far and this Parker is very easy to shave with. If this isn't a mild slant, then there are no mild slants.
Adapt your technique to the equipment you use. Works wonders.

I got mine in July and mine gives a nice shave. Of course I have the decades of shaving experience that the younger crowd lacks & can get a great shave from all my razors.
It's easy to blame the razor. It's more difficult to develop the skill to become master over your tools.

I've been shaving since about 1964 with DE and SE razors. (For awhile I did switch to electric razors.) I have my technique down pretty well. As I said I have used many razors that are considered aggressive with no problem, like the Muhle R41. Just something about this razor. I even checked to make sure I had the blade seated correctly.
There was only one other razor that felt like this, maybe worst and it was a Bakelite Alpha Ecliptic Slant.
Whatever the reason this razor is not for me. You win some and you loose some.

There was only one other razor that felt like this, maybe worst and it was a Bakelite Alpha Ecliptic Slant.
That is an amazing thing, as the Alpha Ecliptic really is one of the best and most comfortable slants around. Well, imho of course.

I've tried 186 slants so far and this Parker is very easy to shave with. If this isn't a mild slant, then there are no mild slants.
Adapt your technique to the equipment you use. Works wonders.
I am shaving with an eros slant similar to walbusch. I find this sland milder than Edwin Jagger de 89 razor. So I think a slant could be mild for someone. I like mild but effective razors.
I wonder how it compares against the Parker slant.

I am shaving with an eros slant similar to walbusch. I find this sland milder than Edwin Jagger de 89 razor. So I think a slant could be mild for someone. I like mild but effective razors.
I wonder how it compares against the Parker slant.
The Eros/Walbusch/etc B3 slant is one of my favorite slants. Very comfortable and efficient razor. I like it better than the Parker, but that may have to do with the fact I like lightweight bakelite razors.

The Eros/Walbusch/etc B3 slant is one of my favorite slants. Very comfortable and efficient razor. I like it better than the Parker, but that may have to do with the fact I like lightweight bakelite razors.
Yes I like this razor and is mild and effective.
Very smooth shaves from eros.
I wonder how other slants shave...
I might have to try one. With eros I loved bakelite razors although it's my only bakelite razor.

Yes I like this razor and is mild and effective.
Very smooth shaves from eros.
I wonder how other slants shave...
I might have to try one. With eros I loved bakelite razors although it's my only bakelite razor.
I found the Parker semi slant the closest de razor i own.I shave with high speed 3x passes,easy no nicks,very tight shave,
closer than the IKON stainless steel slant almost too tight,i cant get on with standard DE razors,whisker like wire.Parker may have got the science sorted with this razor,maybe too tight for beginners
I am a straight razor shaver,which is as much about skin improvement as shaving and fun.

I've been shaving since about 1964 with DE and SE razors. (For awhile I did switch to electric razors.) I have my technique down pretty well. As I said I have used many razors that are considered aggressive with no problem, like the Muhle R41. Just something about this razor. I even checked to make sure I had the blade seated correctly.
Whatever the reason this razor is not for me. You win some and you loose some.
Interesting you mentioned that Bakelite thing - I got an Alpha Ecliptic and upon loading in a brand new blade, the screw in the cap tore loose. I didn't have much nice to say to the seller about it, and got a refund. I was still stuck with a broke razor with a stupid-looking handle that I didn't see fit to put onto anything else. I JB Weld'ed the screw back into place & it actually held after letting it cure for several days. It doesn't shave worth a damn, unlike my Parker Semi Slant that shaves the best with Astra SP or Voskhod blades, and only marginal with all my favorite blades I use in my Techs, Old Types & Super Speeds.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
The Alpha Ecliptic tilted slant is an OK shaver for me. It shaves fine and I like the look of the bakelite but it's too darn light for my taste. I keep it around because I don't have much invested in it. I'm likewise not much interested in the aluminum version, though like the Starling it may benefit from a nice stainless handle. If they made it in stainless I'd for sure give it another go, but wouldn't expect it to be all that different.

I picked up an ATT S2 in trade with a member, and my first thought was that for a helical slant it seems rather less helical. So much for first thoughts! It's a great razor and gives me the best DE shaves ever. List price is a lot higher than the OP's Parker, however...

O.H.

A third pass against the grain, upper lip shave comparison between the Parker Semi Slant and the Ikon Stainless steel slant,and the Parker wins outright.The Ikon made the one side of the upper lip sore,the other side fine with the Parker.
Considering the difference in price between the 2x razors,paying more does not get you more ,less in this case.
The Parker is a superb all round razor, for me anyhow.I would have thought you could learn on it but maybe a mild razor to start if you are careless.

I got my Parker Slant 2 days ago and shave with it this morning
20191121_073918.jpg

For my first shave it was not a good experience...hahaha..
multiple nicks and blood. Not the fault of the razor but rather my own lack of skills and techniques. I will continue again...love the heft and solid feel..

A third pass against the grain, upper lip shave comparison between the Parker Semi Slant and the Ikon Stainless steel slant,and the Parker wins outright.The Ikon made the one side of the upper lip sore,the other side fine with the Parker.
Considering the difference in price between the 2x razors,paying more does not get you more ,less in this case.
The Parker is a superb all round razor, for me anyhow.I would have thought you could learn on it but maybe a mild razor to start if you are careless.
How true, especially when comparing vintage razors to the 'modern' stuff. I got a Semi Slant when they were first introduced & it shaves nice. It is in the rotation behind my Techs & Old Types.

2nd shave with this SS after giving it a break. 1st use gave me scars.
I must say now it is one of my favourite. Don't know what happened...must be my technique. This 2nd use was absolutely smooth and irritation free shave. BBS result...

I just had probably one of my two best shaves so far with a Treet carbon (2) mounted on a Parker semi-slant. I took time to prepare. I had a shower and exfoliated beforehand then rubbed some cube 2.0 on my whiskers. I ended the ceremony with an alum block and soothed the skin with some French skin bracer. Although I got one nick on my neck, under the jawline, I got a BBS shave in 3 passes and most importantly the skin wasn't red or irritated (thing that I can't get with all the other blades I've tried). It felt great and effortless. I think that the Parker is gonna be my main weapon instead of the R41 and DE89.

I thought the Merkur 37c was going to be my last razor, as it just works right, all the time.
The Parker now shares equal time. Both excellent natural shavers, fine balance, and I only switch them up for a little variety.
I could go with the Parker as my one and only.

Top Bottom