What's new

Parker Slant Razor

First shave off tonight - 55SL vs RR37.

I started with the RR37 because I thought that most of you have a RR37 or a modern Merkur 37c. The main difference between the 55SL and the RR37 is the scalloped edge of the cap - the RR37 has it and the 55SL does not. It also appears that the 55SL has a thicker base plate and a larger handle, both in length and weight.

The RR37 had the left side of my face and the 55SL the right. I used the angle of the caps for both razors. WTG pass immediately showed a difference between the two razors. The 55SL was much smoother and had no blade feel. This was probably due to the slightly thicker head. The RR37 was more nimble, had a slight blade feel, and had some audio feedback. Both razors left about the same stubble left over after the pass.

ATG pass was next and the 55SL was slightly more efficient and comfortable than the RR37. Both razors handled their respective problem areas efficiently. Both razors did leave enough stubble along the jaw line and under the chin to require a lathered XTG pass. The 55SL required less dry touch up after that pass.

Quality of shave - slight edge goes to the 55SL for being more efficient.

Overall assessment - I hate to say this, but the 55SL dethroned my RR37 as king of the 37 clones.

Again, I have to say that the 55SL achieved what Parker set out to do by producing a gentle and efficient shaver.

Tonight's shave off - 55SL vs vintage Hoffritz

I was very afraid of doing tonight's shave off. Last night the 55SL dethroned the RR37 as the best Merkur 37 clone. How will a real vintage Hoffritz version of the Merkur 37 hold up?

The 55SL had the left side of my face tonight and the Hoffritz, the right. As always, I used the angle given by the cap. Like last night, the WTG pass immediately showed differences between the two razors. The Hoffritz has slightly more blade feel. Although the Hoffritz was much heavier than the RR37, it was still not as heavy as the 55SL and more compact. Again, it was easier to maneuver than the 55SL. At the end of the WTG pass, the Hoffritz was slightly more efficient than the 55SL.

ATG pass was next and this time, the Hoffritz was more comfortable than the 55SL, but efficiency went to the 55SL. Both required a lathered XTG half pass as last night, however the Hoffritz did not require any dry touch up.

Quality of shave - tie! The Hoffritz had slightly more blade feel, however it was more efficient in the WTG pass. The 55SL was more efficient in the ATG pass, bit had some dry touch up to do.

Overall assessment - like the home town referees making calls in favor of the home team, in the situation of a tie, the vintage Hoffritz still retains it's title.

Mine is on its way. On the Parkerwebsite, Below the menu, on my screen there was a separate line with “For Her” above the razorinfo. This led me to believe it was positioned for women, so I ordered the Rose-Gold one. Then I realised: the menu was too long for my screen and wrapped, so “For Her” was part of the menu.

Mine is on its way. On the Parkerwebsite, Below the menu, on my screen there was a separate line with “For Her” above the razorinfo. This led me to believe it was positioned for women, so I ordered the Rose-Gold one. Then I realised: the menu was too long for my screen and wrapped, so “For Her” was part of the menu.
The rose gold 55SL will go well with your Merkur 37G.:001_smile

First ever slant shave and the Parker delivered a top notch shave. Paired with a Feather Hi-Stainless it was a very smooth operator. I have to concur with @Bondage007 & @gvw755 that for the price, it’s a pretty darn good razor and deal. Only one shave but, I’m impressed.

05611DBC-40C9-4EC6-9DB3-821E6660C675.jpeg

I'm looking for a slant razor with that head made out of brass. Is there an manufaction, that makes them out of brass?

how does the semislant compare to an ikon x3?
Hello,
I haven’t used my X3 in ages but here is what I recall.
The X3 was milder and blade alignment was sloppy.
The Parker seems more efficient and blade alignment is perfect.
I like the handle (bulldog) on X3 better. Parker handle is nice but a bit long and could have deeper knurling. This is personal preference.

If I had to choose one it would be Parker. Again YMMV.

Cheers
John

Whew…not in the market for a slant of any sort (sez he, followed by a B&B chorus shouting "Lies!"), but coming on the heels of the Variant, this is quite interesting to see and hear about. Parker's going from strength to strength lately.

i used the semi slant for the first time this morning. Used a Nacet in it which i believe to be sharp. I have been using the RR37 (with a Voskhod) recently and found it easy to use and efficient. Easier than i thought for my first slant. Almost never nicks me. The Parker, I found be a different animal altogether. A very very close shave, closest than i can remember, if ever, but with about 4 nicks and a bit of razor burn. I'll have to handle this fella differently to the RR37 definitely. I'll also try with a Voskhod to see if the blade makes a difference. I'd say, with a couple of shaves under my belt and maybe a different blade, i will look forward to my closest shaves yet with this fella. It might be the difference in blade, but i thought there were noticeable differences between this and the RR37. Not in a bad way, just different.
I should also say, that while I've been using the RR37 recently, my goto razor is the Parker Variant, love it.

Hello,
Happy 4th to all.
Just had my 2nd shave with this razor. Being a serial handle swapper I used a Razorock barber pole. Blade was a Feather on 2nd shave. Smooth as silk. Very close comfortable shave. I will be using this razor more often.

Cheers
John
BAC07049-327D-4AA3-ACBC-B2264BDB436E.jpeg

Had my first shave with this bad boy this afternoon... wow! For a $30 razor this thing far out performs its price point. Smooth as silk with an Astra SP. Little to no blade feel, and very efficient. The only gripe I have with it is the feedback sounds a bit "Tinny" if that makes sense. Probably the material its made from, but this is only a minor gripe, as this razor does sing as it shaves, so you know its working. All in all I am happy with the purchase. This razor has earned a place in my rotation for sure!

How does it compare with Variant?
I prefer my Variant. It's my daily shaver. It's as smooth as butter and efficient, no nicks or irritation. I suppose with all slants, you must be careful, but i find the semi slant a bit of a handful. A few nicks and it catches my sensitive area around my Apple. The Razorock German slant, on the other hand, is efficient and i find no trouble at all, quite a pleasure to use actually. I'll have to see if its the angle I'm using at or something like that. I'll persevere as i love the feel and look of the razor, and i like Parkers, but there might be a learning curve, unlike the RR slant.

Recently got a Graphite Super Slant. It was my first non-vintage razor purchase. Looking around, I was disappointed that many of even the more spendy razors (anything over $30) were being made of zamak, but Parker says they use all brass.
My first shaves were with a Personna Israeli Blue, which lived up to my expectations for 5 shaves.

Today I used a Shark Platinum. It was smooth, but left roughness in my problem neck/jaw area. I'll see how subsequent shaves do.

I'm not positive, but I think there was a thread somewhere about Parker's claim of being "all brass." The claim is controversial. It may not be correct.

Few minutes later: I just now Googled the topic and found an interview (undated unfortunately) of the 2 owners of the Parker Razor Company. They said their TTO razors were all brass, but the 3 piece razors were brass handles and Zamak (?) heads.

Last edited:
Top Bottom