What's new

Parker Semi Slant

There are other slant designs that use more extreme angle, so that the blade is twisted to the maximum extent. Here is an example of a Fasan "double slant".

View attachment 1064124

This razor requires a different technique compared to a conventional DE razor. The handle must be held more or less perpendicular to the floor. In comparison, the Parker (and Merkur 39) can be used with the more usual shaving angle.

So, "Semi-Slant" implies you get the benefits of a slant without having to learn how to shave all over again, or cutting yourself to pieces while adjusting to it. That's my interpretation, anyway.
Boy, that thing looks vicious

I tried the Parker semi slant and found it to be an ok razor ....... I returned it for a Merkur 37c slant, which I found to give a closer and smoother shave .... ymmv

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
The Parker Semi-Slant:

IMG_0362[2].JPG

And a 1960s Merkur 37 for comparison:

IMG_0364[1].JPG

There isn't much obvious difference between the Merkur of two "generations" back and the Parker. Both have rather deeply channeled bars. I have not used the 37 yet, but it's in my lineup along with several other slants for a research project I'm calling the "Tilted Picnic." I don't have a blade in the Merkur in that picture, but looking at the Parker I see symmetrical blade exposure but it doesn't seem to be a large amount.

It's a little more exposure than I see with the ATT S2. The S2 also has non-symmetrical blade exposure, which I'll talk about later in the Tilted Picnic when we get to the S2. In general, the S2 has I think a little less exposure than the Parker, which would make the Parker slightly more aggressive (but not much more).

So far in my testing, that statement appears to be a valid hypothesis. Within formats (DE, AC, Gem) I find SB razors to be milder relative to their OC brethren. I'm noticing that this SB is a bit more aggressive than the S2. That will bear some investigation.

O.H.

The Parker Semi-Slant:

View attachment 1065522

And a 1960s Merkur 37 for comparison:

View attachment 1065523

There isn't much obvious difference between the Merkur of two "generations" back and the Parker. Both have rather deeply channeled bars. I have not used the 37 yet, but it's in my lineup along with several other slants for a research project I'm calling the "Tilted Picnic." I don't have a blade in the Merkur in that picture, but looking at the Parker I see symmetrical blade exposure but it doesn't seem to be a large amount.

It's a little more exposure than I see with the ATT S2. The S2 also has non-symmetrical blade exposure, which I'll talk about later in the Tilted Picnic when we get to the S2. In general, the S2 has I think a little less exposure than the Parker, which would make the Parker slightly more aggressive (but not much more).

So far in my testing, that statement appears to be a valid hypothesis. Within formats (DE, AC, Gem) I find SB razors to be milder relative to their OC brethren. I'm noticing that this SB is a bit more aggressive than the S2. That will bear some investigation.

O.H.
Sounds like an interesting experiment.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
This whole thread really piqued my interest. I pulled the trigger on the graphite-colored model. I like a longer handle on a razor so the length plays right into my preference. The razor looks very well made. It's on it's way and I'm looking forward to trying it.

This whole thread really piqued my interest. I pulled the trigger on the graphite-colored model. I like a longer handle on a razor so the length plays right into my preference. The razor looks very well made. It's on it's way and I'm looking forward to trying it.
Congrats! It is a good razor and can shave really close. Between my Parker Semi Slant and my German 37, although the blade gap in the German 37 looks huge, it actually is a smoother razor compare to the Semi Slant.

Do report back your findings. Look forward to it. (ahem...does that mean the Timeless is going to BST...ahem ahem)

Yes was definitely the best DE razor I've ever bought. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

JCarr

Looking forward to it. It'll have some stiff competition in my stable...Timeless SS .68, EJ Chatsworth and a Fatip Nobile. All good to great razors. It's amazing though...I was looking at the threads devoted to the new Fatip slant and I just started surfing around and found that Parker razor. Of course, I popped it into the Badger and Blade search and BAM! ... this thread came up. I think this will be a good introduction to slants for me.

JCarr

Congrats! It is a good razor and can shave really close. Between my Parker Semi Slant and my German 37, although the blade gap in the German 37 looks huge, it actually is a smoother razor compare to the Semi Slant.

Do report back your findings. Look forward to it. (ahem...does that mean the Timeless is going to BST...ahem ahem)

Not a chance. The shaves I get from that are very, very good. But after reading many of the threads containing info on slant razors, I would like to see what it's about without breaking the bank.

Not a chance. The shaves I get from that are very, very good. But after reading many of the threads containing info on slant razors, I would like to see what it's about without breaking the bank.
I'll bet you won't let the timeless go :laugh: :biggrin1:. Yeah, slants are a good rotational option. Just shave with the Razorock G37 30mins ago...very smooth and comfortable. You will enjoy the Parker semi-slant.

I shaved with this for the first time yesterday with an Astra SP blade. Pleasantly surprised with a 3 pass bbs that is not bad almost 24 hours later. It gave nice audible feedback, unlike the Merkur 37C slant, but it felt a little rougher on the face than the 37C - yet I had no irritation or redness afterward. I definitely like this razor.

It has an unnecessarily long handle, but that doesn't bother me. Grip is secure.
This has largely been my experience. The Semi needs a bit more attention to angle on the face than the 37c, but it's still less "finicky" than so many others.

Top Bottom