What's new

Parker Semi Slant, why use it?

Tonight I used the Parker Semi Slant. In fact: it was my first use of a slant.
@Old Hippie told me to load an Astra SP. After my not so good shave (I want thorough BBS from a shave) with that blade I thought it would be a nice chance for the Astra to show me it can perform if condition are right.
Because I am fascinated with aggressive razors, sharp blades and very close shaving, I purchased the Parker, because many forum members who are fond of slants state that the Parker Semi Slant is a good starter for those exploring slant razors.
They are right. This razor shaves very effective, while not being aggressive. I was surprised how much hair was in my sink after the first WTG pass. I can honestly say no other razor produced so much stubble floating in my sink after a first pass.
The XTG pass went okay, but at the end of this pass the Astra was tired and had to work hard. A few tugs, but I was able to do a small touch up.
What impressed me was the fact the Parker mowed the difficult, jungle structured hair down my neck. The hair on my temple usually takes multiple touch ups. The Parker Semi Slant took care of both areas as if these areas don't pose a problem what so ever.
I am both very impressed and pleased with this slant. As far as I'm concerned this razor does not require a lot of experience, I would recommend it to any DE shaver who has basic technique, but cerainly to veteran shavers too.
Looking forward to using it with a Feather and a Med Prep.

My appetite for slants is wide awake after this shave 💥

This may be pertinent to your interests... :)

This may be pertinent to your interests... :)

That is wunderbar news.
Thought to buy the Lupo 95, but will get this slant in stead.
After all: I have the Roedter 1909 waiting to get house-broken 😎

Thanks for the review. I personally found it to be quite aggressive and not 'semi' at all. It is a great razor once you get it down though. It took me a minute to dial in the right angle and pressure since its heavier than my daily driver (and i found that if you get the angle/pressure wrong that it definitely bites). I shave daily so I never found the blade to be wanting but I agree with the first pass shaving the most hair off. If I didn't have my cart for speedrunning shaves when necessary, I'd be using this. I've been using an AC blade razor for the past few months and tbh they seem to be matched to me but I'll rotate around eventually!

Thanks for the review. I personally found it to be quite aggressive and not 'semi' at all. It is a great razor once you get it down though. It took me a minute to dial in the right angle and pressure since its heavier than my daily driver (and i found that if you get the angle/pressure wrong that it definitely bites). I shave daily so I never found the blade to be wanting but I agree with the first pass shaving the most hair off. If I didn't have my cart for speedrunning shaves when necessary, I'd be using this. I've been using an AC blade razor for the past few months and tbh they seem to be matched to me but I'll rotate around eventually!
Nice post 👍🏽
What worries me: I stated this slant is suitable for inexperienced shavers, because to me, it feels like an easy razor. I would not like to think I gave a misleading advice. Offcourse I respect and appreciate your input, so maybe my use of aggressive razors and sharp blades plus the four weeks regime of using the same razor and blade have improved my technique more than I realize. What do you think? I am puzzled now 🤔

Nice post 👍🏽
What worries me: I stated this slant is suitable for inexperienced shavers, because to me, it feels like an easy razor. I would not like to think I gave a misleading advice. Offcourse I respect and appreciate your input, so maybe my use of aggressive razors and sharp blades plus the four weeks regime of using the same razor and blade have improved my technique more than I realize. What do you think? I am puzzled now 🤔
Its just a YMMV thing. Mechanically, there is a skill curve to using this compared to a 'normal DE' like a merkur 33/34 C BUT its not that big. I got it down in a week. I found that after using it for a while that my 33c felt much milder. I wouldn't find anything misleading about your advice at all but I'd just caveat that this razor does have more blade feel and is more aggressive than its name implies. In fact, there is little to no difference in the blade gap and actual slant torquing when compared to the 37C which apparently is the godfather of all slant razors and remains one of the most ripped of designs by razorock, yaqi and anyone else who sells a slant razor. From what I've heard on here, its a bit more aggressive and has quite a bit more blade feel compared to a 37c but I can't corroborate that as I haven't used it. Thats what I meant by saying that its not really a 'semi-slant'. Just a marketing gimmick. Its a fullblood slant and a great one at that...although that means that it is quite a bit more efficient than the more popular razors.

Its just a YMMV thing. Mechanically, there is a skill curve to using this compared to a 'normal DE' like a merkur 33/34 C BUT its not that big. I got it down in a week. I found that after using it for a while that my 33c felt much milder. I wouldn't find anything misleading about your advice at all but I'd just caveat that this razor does have more blade feel and is more aggressive than its name implies. In fact, there is little to no difference in the blade gap and actual slant torquing when compared to the 37C which apparently is the godfather of all slant razors and remains one of the most ripped of designs by razorock, yaqi and anyone else who sells a slant razor. From what I've heard on here, its a bit more aggressive and has quite a bit more blade feel compared to a 37c but I can't corroborate that as I haven't used it. Thats what I meant by saying that its not really a 'semi-slant'. Just a marketing gimmick. Its a fullblood slant and a great one at that...although that means that it is quite a bit more efficient than the more popular razors.
Good post. Thank you.

I love the Parker Semi-slant. It is a great razor for anyone who is a thick, coarse, heavy beard. It is moderately aggressive and every efficient. The slant is not so pronounced that you need to make any significant changes in your shaving routine. Just pick up the razor and get to work. Make sure you use a light touch.

I love the design and construction of the razor. I like that it is made of brass rather than Zamac. I like that it clamps the blade all the way to the end of the top cap so blade chatter is eliminated. I like that the razor has a long handle, which is great for someone like me who has XL hands.

I love the Parker Semi-slant. It is a great razor for anyone who is a thick, coarse, heavy beard. It is moderately aggressive and every efficient. The slant is not so pronounced that you need to make any significant changes in your shaving routine. Just pick up the razor and get to work. Make sure you use a light touch.

I love the design and construction of the razor. I like that it is made of brass rather than Zamac. I like that it clamps the blade all the way to the end of the top cap so blade chatter is eliminated. I like that the razor has a long handle, which is great for someone like me who has XL hands.
Feather light touch.
Works great, it's almost like caressing.

After some experimentation, I found the blade that worked the best for me, including in the Parker semi slant. Perma sharp blade and the semislant, needs the lightest touch and BBS every time, even with only 2 passes. I regularly rotate it through my favourite razors. I have an extremely coarse beard but this combo deals with it extremely well. At the price, what's not to love about the Parker semislant?

My 2p

Bas

After some experimentation, I found the blade that worked the best for me, including in the Parker semi slant. Perma sharp blade and the semislant, needs the lightest touch and BBS every time, even with only 2 passes. I regularly rotate it through my favourite razors. I have an extremely coarse beard but this combo deals with it extremely well. At the price, what's not to love about the Parker semislant?

My 2p

Bas
Of all the top blades, the Perma Sharp is the last one on my to buy list. After december GRUME, I'll purchase it and try. What other blades have you tried?

So many tbh. I keep the astra for the Henson, perma sharp for everything else and the feathers when I feel like them.

Can anyone compare the Parker with the Fatip OC Slant or with the ATT S1? Both are B&B popular favorites, and for good reason.

I have to fall in your camp. My 37c is super mild compared to the semi

I love the Parker Semi-slant.

All Parkers are made of brass. This is a great feature of a good razor. I love my Parker 91R, not a slant, but gives me a close shave. I like the long handle and heavy weight, no pressure needed. With the right blade, very smooth shaves.

Top Bottom