What's new

Parker Semi-slant and the RR German 37

A while back on somewhat of a whim I picked up a Parker semi-slant. Though I’ve tried a few slants over the years I never really got the bug in a big way. But I found the Parker delivering some really impressive shaves and it prompted me to revisit another slant I still own, the RazoRock German 37. Just for fun, I decided to do some shave-offs with these two razors, matching them up in a series of shaves, using one razor on one side of my face, and the other razor on the other side. Same blade in each, and obviously same prep and cream/soap. I thought I'd share what I learned.

At first look, the heads of these two razors do look fairly similar which makes sense as both are clearly derivative (if not outright copies) of the Merkur 37. Looking close up though, you can see differences: the castings on the Parker are thicker on both the base plate and the cap; the faceted cap is smooth, while the German 37 is scalloped. Most apparent is that the Parker imparts a bit less blade twist, which I’m guessing is why Parker calls their razor a “semi-slant”. I don’t know that there are any published specs for these razors in terms of exposure or gap, but eyeballing them they look pretty similar in exposure, while the Parker definitely has a smaller gap.

IMG_7865.JPG
IMG_7869.JPG
Nonetheless, in direct comparison I wasn’t too surprised to find the shaves pretty similar. Both are what I would characterize as at least semi-mild (or smooth, comfortable, etc.; whatever your preferred adjective is for a razor that is generally mellow and not harsh). That does not mean that they aren’t efficient; I find both do an excellent job for me. In general, I would call the Parker slightly more comfortable, but not by much. I’d call the RR 37 a bit more efficient, but again, not by much.

My general preference runs toward milder razors and I find both these slants right in my wheelhouse on that count. I have owned or tried some other slants that really didn’t suit me and those have since gone on their way. Perhaps that prejudiced me against slants to the point where I neglected my RR37. But thanks to the Parker SS, I’m now seeing the the error of my ways and I’m enjoying the excellent shaves from both of these razors. Either would be a great choice for anyone looking to try out a slant, with the RR 37 being a real best buy in the category.

I would agree with your comments; I have both, and like both. I've found the RazoRock 37 to be a slightly better shaver for me, although it could easily be my technique.

If you like mild slants, I'd consider an Ikon X3. while the angle is a little harder to find, it's another friendly yet efficient slant shaver. I especially like how it covers the blade tabs. Unless I'm confusing it with another razor . . .

I have a Fine Aluminum slant and the combination of light weight, maneuverability and the slanted head just work great for me. It has become my favorite razor, surpassing my previous favorite, the RazoRock Game Changer 0.84. I'm eager to try other slants. Thanks for comparing these two, will eventually try them out.

Top Bottom