What's new

Parker Razors

I am fairly knowledgeable about safety razors and the art of shaving; however, I do not know much about the Parker brand of razors.

Is there a general view about their reputation?

What country are they made? How many years have they been around?

Are they durable?

And specifically how does the Parker Variant adjustable razor compare to other popular adjustable razors such as the Fat Boy, the Slim, and so forth, as to build quality, user friendliness and performance?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Well, I find that my satin-finish Variant (made in India) is quite well made and it's become on of my go-to razors. It's kinda heavy (that brass handle, dontcha know), which I like. I find it gives me a better shave than m Gillette adjustables (heresy, I know, but *not* a knock on the Gillettes), but as always - YMMV. If I had to compare it to any of my other razors, it would be my Merkur Futur. And like a Futur, it can be a little unforgiving. I would advise you to start at 1 and go up by 1/2 each week until you find what works best for you.

And one important tip - be sure to align the notches in the head & cap.

Well I started this thread, and I recently pulled the trigger and got a satin finish Parker Variant adjustable razor. The strong testimonial from brother ShavePastor, among several others, really convinced me. I've used the razor for a week and here are my impressions:

The Parker Variant is an inexpensive ($57 dollars), well designed, and high quality adjustable razor from India. The variable adjustment dial is at the bottom, my preferred location. There is no hole at the bottom of the handle, which should reduce the chances of the innards getting gunked up over time. It's a heavy and sturdy razor. Not only bullet proof, it probably is bomb proof. I like it very much. Good knurling on a slightly long handle insures it won't be dropped. There are 4 horizontal holes on the back of the head for exiting used lather. It's a smooth and solid shaver. The best setting for my heavy beard is 3.5 on the dial, which goes up to 5.

I love all my adjustable razors! I have an Apollo Mikron, Gillette Fat Boy, Gillette Slim, Gillette Super Adjustable (short handle and long handle models), Merkur Progress, Merkur Futur, and the Merkur Vision 2000. I believe they are all similar in outstanding performance. I have no clear preference or favorite among them. The Parker Variant now enters this very select club. The Parker Variant is an outstanding razor and shaver. I love it! My thanks to all who convinced me of its high desirability, performance, and value.

Last edited:
Engineers have had 63 years to sort out how the Progress might be Improved, from what I understand Parker didn't change much (handle and slightly taller cap). I guess it was a pretty good design to begin with.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Well I started this thread, and I recently pulled the trigger and got a satin finish Parker Variant adjustable razor. The strong testimonial from brother ShavePastor, among several others, really convinced me. I've used the razor for a week and here are my impressions:

The Parker Variant is an inexpensive ($57 dollars), well designed, and high quality adjustable razor from India. The variable adjustment dial is at the bottom, my preferred location. There is no hole at the bottom of the handle, which should reduce the chances of the innards getting gunked up over time. It's a heavy and sturdy razor. Not only bullet proof, it probably is bomb proof. I like it very much. Good knurling on a slightly long handle insures it won't be dropped. There are 4 horizontal holes on the back of the head for exiting used lather. It's a smooth and solid shaver. The best setting for my heavy beard is 3.5 on the dial, which goes up to 5.

I love all my adjustable razors! I have an Apollo Mikron, Gillette Fat Boy, Gillette Slim, Gillette Super Adjustable (short handle and long handle models), Merkur Progress, Merkur Futur, and the Merkur Vision 2000. I believe they are all similar in outstanding performance. I have no clear preference or favorite among them. The Parker Variant now enters this very select club. The Parker Variant is an outstanding razor and shaver. I love it! My thanks to all who convinced me of its high desirability, performance, and value.

Nice review. Man that is a very nice collection of adjustables you got going!

The collective wisdom from the B&B membership says that next will be the Rockwell Model T, Mergress, Gibbs, & Rex Ambassador & then you pretty well got all the bases covered in the adjustable department! :a21:

Engineers have had 63 years to sort out how the Progress might be Improved, from what I understand Parker didn't change much (handle and slightly taller cap). I guess it was a pretty good design to begin with.

The one gripe I have with my Merkur Progress is the numbers on the dial are difficult for me to see without my reading glasses. The older models had the numbers in red (or black?) and they were easily seen by me. The current numbers are not so legible. The change was made for cost cutting, presumably, but I would gladly pay a dollar more so I could see the numbers. That was a serious mistake by Merkur IMO. What were they thinking? It's very irksome to me. That change was NOT progress!

Last edited:
The one gripe I have with my Merkur Progress is the numbers on the dial are difficult for me to see without my reading glasses. The older models had the numbers in red (or black?) and they were easily seen by me. The current numbers are not so legible. The change was made for cost cutting, presumably, but I would gladly pay a dollar more so I could see the numbers. That was a serious mistake by Merkur IMO. What were they thinking? It's very irksome to me. That change was NOT progress!
Yup.
proxy.php

Yes, that's because the Parker is a clone/copy of the Progress.

I have more Parker razors than any other brand

Parker 22r (mild)
Parker 65r (aggresive)

I used the 22r exclusively for my first 2 years of DE shaving. They are great razors for the price point

The only Parker I have had experience with is the Variant. If I were to have to choose one razor to keep out of my 60+, the Variant and my Rockwell 6S would be in final contention.

The Variant is a bit heavy, in a good way. IMHO it's a smoother shave than Gillette adjustables and a Mergress I briefly had.

Love it! The Parker Variant is an outstanding razor. No razor in my collection shaves closer, smoother, and more comfortable! Thanx for introducing me to it.

Depends on the Parker, my return to wet-shaving was an 86r, which I used exclusively for months, until I wanted something that was easier to get a closer shave with. I can get BBS with the 86r with some work (it's mild), but for some unknown reason, I'm more prone to those small dot nicks with the 86r than my Slim on 9, Rocky with the R6 plate, or nearly any other razor I own. It's great looker, really nice and thick chrome plating, and made of heavy brass, but for some unknown reason, it gives me that stray nick nearly every shave. - I think it's just not efficient enough for me, and that I may over shave with the 86r, as I tend to chase that super smooth BBS.

I briefly owned a Parker 24C and found it uncomfortable, didn't care for the shave, regardless of angle and resold it. To me the Schone OC is MUCH smoother and more comfortable, yet the 24C is supposed to be a mild OC? Even the much more aggressive Pearl head is easier for me to deal with than the 24C...go figure.

I participated in the Variant pass-around, and had some very nice shaves with it. If it wasn't for my Rockwell, which is probably one of the best combinations of efficiency and comfort I own, I'd probably have bought one. Two thumbs up on the Variant, probably Parker's best razor, although I haven't tired one of their 3 piece solid bar models.

Top Bottom