What's new

Parker razor blades?

Friday, Amazon delivered my Parker 99R razor, and a tuck of 5 of their blades. I will break in this beauty when I finish with the current blade in my Merkur 1904.
Parker 99R.JPG

Does any forum member have experience with these blades?

I have three Parker razors, but have not yet tried the Parker razor blades.
The Parker may be a little more aggressive than your Merkur, so be careful with your first shave.

I do not know if Parker makes the blades or if they are produced by another manufacturer and relabeled. They are supposed to be made of Swedish steel and manufactured on German machinery. I read that they are made in Turkey. Derby blades are also made in Turkey, but I do not know if they are made by the same company that produces Derby. Since these Parker blades are included with new Parker razors, I suspect that the blades are fairly mild blades like Derby, Shark, Merkur, etc.

I like evaluating various razor blades, so I am interested in your comments on the blades to determine if the Parker blades might be ones I want to evaluate.

Blades are the most YMMV aspect of traditional wet shaving. So what works for me may not work for you.

Your best bet is likely to work your way through a blade sampler or two!

Blades are the most YMMV aspect of traditional wet shaving.
^^This . . exactly what BigJ said.

I had read plenty of disparaging things about Derby blades (made in Turkey) but ended up liking both the Extra and Premium blades--although if given a choice I would absolutely stick with Premium. However, I did try a Parker blade and it was, shall we say, not for me. Worst blade I have used yet . . . but others like them.

Friday, Amazon delivered my Parker 99R razor, and a tuck of 5 of their blades. I will break in this beauty when I finish with the current blade in my Merkur 1904.
View attachment 1004900

Does any forum member have experience with these blades?
I have been using the Parker Premium Platinum blades for a while now. Sharp & good quality control. I ordered 2 tucks to test their Q.C. & its there! Its made in Turkey to Parker spec's & are NOT rebranded Derby blades according to mantic59. I get X7-X10 close shaves from these blades.

I've been using a Parker 91R in the rotation since 2008 and didn't even know Parker made blades until just now.
When I bought mine it came with a 5 pack of 7 o'clock blades.

I have the same razor 99R, it's heavy and you really can let the weight of the razor do the work. It's more aggressive than say an EJ DE89 and the angle at which I hold it is different to my other razors as I find the blade is held flatter - when shaving the handle is further away from my face, if that makes sense. I tend to 'listen' for the correct angle. As for the blades, I do use them and though they are indeed sharp, I find that the second and third use is much smoother than when new. Maybe the 'platinum' coating isn't perfect.

I have the same razor 99R, it's heavy and you really can let the weight of the razor do the work. It's more aggressive than say an EJ DE89 and the angle at which I hold it is different to my other razors as I find the blade is held flatter - when shaving the handle is further away from my face, if that makes sense. I tend to 'listen' for the correct angle. As for the blades, I do use them and though they are indeed sharp, I find that the second and third use is much smoother than when new. Maybe the 'platinum' coating isn't perfect.

I do not have the butterfly TTO version, but I have the 99R three piece. Other than the blade holding mechanism, I would have described mine exactly like yours. Although the head does lok a lot like the DE89 head, it has a wider blade gap and is more aggressive. Your advice on shave angle is correct; you need to shave with a slightly shallower blade angle. Like you, I love heavy razors as I can hold the razor loosely and let the weight of the razor do the work.

I have been using Feather blades but tried the Parker and really them alot. I tend not to cut myself with the Parker blades as they are a tad less sharp but they still dont tug. I highly recommend them.

My experience with the blades was similar, though they didn't smooth out for me until the third or fourth shave. Until then they were a bit tuggy and wanted to bite, especially in milder razors.

I have been using Feather blades but tried the Parker and really them alot. I tend not to cut myself with the Parker blades as they are a tad less sharp but they still dont tug. I highly recommend them.

thanks for the information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me, Astra SP and the Parker blades perform about the same. I get busy using BIC's, Voskhods, GSB's, Lord Platinums, Various Sharks & have to occasionally remind myself to grab a Parker or Astra - they never disappoint.

I like Parker Premium blades. Not enough to order them when Astra SP is a little sharper and cheaper. To me they fall between ASP and Derby Premiums, a little less sharp than ASP and a little smoother than DP, with all three blades being very close In performance.

Sounds to me Parker should stick to making razors, which they do quite well, and leave blade manufacturing to others. But the bigger long-term profits are in the blades so I understand their involvement with the blades.

It's still true: follow the money!

Top Bottom