What's new

Parker Platinum - opinions ?

It was the time to toss the Astra SP loaded into my new Parker Variant, and I decided to try a Parker Platinum blade that came with it.

Did neck and throat on 1.5 (I got a bit too adventurous when I first got Variant and aggravated these areas a bit), face on 3. Nicked an old scab, but otherwise a very uneventful, nice shave.

Looking at Amazon, Parker Platinum is just a couple dollars more than Astra on a 100 pack, so a fairly cheap blade.

What's your opinion / experience with these ?

It's hard to say after just one shave, but they seem even smoother than Astra SP, which is my go-to benchmark blade.

Last edited:
I think they're nice blades, was PIF'd a tuck and they worked well for my face. I would equate them with Derby Premiums. In fact, I think there was a discussion that these may actually be Derby Premiums with just the cardboard insert changed. Either way, nice blades.

I, too, heard the Parker blades were a rebranded Derby Premium.

However, the Debry Premium seems to be well-reviewed so your positive experience is no surprise. I definitely need to try them soon.

I'm curious what the longevity is on the blade. For me, the standard Derby is a one and done, but I would hope for at least 3 shaves with a "premium" blade.

Interesting. How would you compare them to Astra SP ?
When the Astra SP blade is of good quality, I think it stacks up well with many upper, middle-tier blades, which is where I'd place the Parker Platinum (as well as Derby Premiums, but I might be repeating myself). However, my son (and others) have run into Astra SP quality issues in 100 blade boxes. I haven't experienced that with the Parker 5-blade tuck that I have (or the 100 blade box of Derby Premiums that I'm also working through). To give you additional comparison, for me, I would place the GSB higher than either of these three.

I do get 4 DFS shaves from each blade (shave #2 being the best), and 2 additional SAS shaves when pushing them. (For me, GSB's give 6 DFS shaves).

So, I bought Derby Premiums and I don't believe they are the same as Parker Premiums. That's of course based on one blade test so subject to change.... that said:

- I can see where one may think they are the same, as they both come in similar looking black plastic case for 5 blades, and with similar style wrapping. However, the cases are clearly not made on the same line and are not the same exact design. Visually there are many subtle differences, and the tolerances in the Derby's bottom disposal slot are too loose so the first blade put there tends to fall out, while Parker's case is nice and tight.

- A single Derby blade in its wrapper seems, to me, less rigid than a Parker. This is of course purely a matter of perception.

- The one Derby blade that I've been using for the past 3 days felt sharper yet less smooth than Astra SP, and the smoothness did not improve over the course of 3 shaves. The two Parker blades both felt just a tad less sharp but almost smoother than ASP, and got even more smooth with each shave. The Derby reminded me more of Personna Blue or Astra SS, both sharp blades but prone to giving me weepers. The Parker was closer to ASP.

I will alternate between ASP and DP for the next couple weeks before I form a real opinion, but for now I'd say ASP wins by a small margin.

Top Bottom