What's new

Parker Model 84 Reveiw

Just received this razor today from an eBay seller based in the UK.This is a Parker 84 produced in India. It arrived in a standard Parker box.....cardboard coated with plastic. and included was a Merkur blade. This is a metal razor with a gunmetal finish and brass decorative artwork on the handle. The picture really does not do it justice. It looks absolutely fantastic. Initially I wondered if the plating was only metal look.....but inspection showed no joints or flaws, and I consider the finish to be a high standard ( my opinion). The razor is three piece and of medium weight. The handle is hollow with a standard base and the top plate has 4 'lugs' to hold the blade in place. This is the same design as my 1951 Gillette Tech.

Handle length 9cm (3 1/2 inch) approx
Handle diameter 12mm (1/2 inch) approx
Razor weight 42 gm (1 1/2 oz)

Any resemblance to the Gillette ended with the lugs on the top plate. This razor not only looks good.....it can really shave:001_smile

For the trial run I used materials which are standard and used by many gentlemen in this forum. SCS soap and a Merkur blade.

I would consider this razor to be at least as aggressive as my Merkur HD. and more aggressive than my Parker 90R, Merkur 1904, Gillette 50s Superspeed, and Gillette Tech.

The shave was among the best I have had. In fact I had to hold back. Normally I require 4 passes with a touch up with all my razors bar the Futur. This achieved the same result with three!

All things considered.....I am very impressed. I will be interested to see how the finish holds up long term, and look forward to seeing what other "gems" appear from Asia and the Far East.

Brian

Thanks Brian & Ron. Howard1616' selection is a little limited right now (I'll check back on him later). dashdirect, however, currently has quite a few very interesting looking razors. Definitely worth taking a peek.

Great to know these Parkers turned out OK. I was watching howard1616 when he made the switch from the Chinese Super Speed clones to the Parkers after having just bought a Chinese SS. I was going to get another, but held off on the Parker because they looked a little iffy. Looks like I should have gotten one! That's a very beautiful razor, Brian.

BTW, anyone know offhand what the heaviest Parker would be? Ever see a Parker Fatboy or something? Just curious :)

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Send howard and e-mail nd ask his suggestions. He is a great guy to deal with and helped me select a few razors that really turned out well. I have 4 now, 3 twist to open and a featherweight 3 piece. All have very nicely decorated and extra long handles. You can't go wrong for the price.

Tony

I just received a Model 84 that I won on eBay for min bid. While it defintely isn't in the same class construction-wise as my Merkur HD, it seems solid enough to do the job at hand.

I'll be curious to see how it shaves. I'm thinking this will be my travel razor possibly...

I bought one too & I'm very impressed with it. Very nice fit & finish and a great shaver. It's a little more aggressive than a 40's Super Speed...about like my Gillette adjustable set on 4.

Howard was very cool to deal with too...he even sent me a 100-carton of Derbys (I purchased from him for $20.00 after the auction) in the same shipping cost as the razor.

I am glad I came across this. I was sceptical about bidding on a Parker razor because I had never heard of the name except on Ebay. I was stupid and bought a cheap pakistani straight razor from ebay before I new any better. I told myself that I would not buy A DE before seeing what people had to say. Does anyone have any suggestions on a first DE?

Jim Thompson said:
I am glad I came across this. I was sceptical about bidding on a Parker razor because I had never heard of the name except on Ebay. I was stupid and bought a cheap pakistani straight razor from ebay before I new any better. I told myself that I would not buy A DE before seeing what people had to say. Does anyone have any suggestions on a first DE?
Jim i'd start with a merkur HD (see the review section on this site) or a 40's style gillette superspeed if you're an ebayer.

Another vote for the HD...

I started with the Merkur HD Classic and am very happy with it. It's my primary razor, and after about 1.5 months of practice, I can get a very close shave with little irritation using the stock Merkur blades.

The Parker's head geometry is somewhat different than the Merkur's, and I've only used it once or twice. It gives a nice shave, but not as nice as the HD. YMMV, of course, since everyone's face is slightly different.

-Bart

I just had my first shave with the Parker 84, and would echo the comments above. It gives you a nice shave, safer and easier than my Vision, but without the ability to really push for the exceptional, BBS shave.

I also think it would be a decent travel razor, and that's how I'll probably wind up using it. I have a Gillette adjustable on the hooks on eBay right now, so I'm hoping that comes through tonight!

Mitch

Brian,
That's one fine looking razor and I love your avatar. Reminds of my blood banking days. Something about having the essence of life in a plastic bag! I digress.

rschul2 said:
Brian,
That's one fine looking razor and I love your avatar. Reminds of my blood banking days. Something about having the essence of life in a plastic bag! I digress.

Well that just happens to be my current employment!!. It's always useful to have access to a top up.....especially when learning to shave with a straight:wink1:

Brian

Top Bottom