What's new

Parker Jotter issues

Picked up a relatively cheap, new Jotter fountain (kind w/ the short cartridges) and have discovered that it writes sporadically, meaning only here and there does ink come out. Now I know that it's not a "true" fountain, but surely Parker wouldn't put out a piece of junk, right? Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Picked up a relatively cheap, new Jotter fountain (kind w/ the short cartridges) and have discovered that it writes sporadically, meaning only here and there does ink come out. Now I know that it's not a "true" fountain, but surely Parker wouldn't put out a piece of junk, right? Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

I believe the Jotter takes both the long and short Quink cartridges. I may be wrong there though.

First thing I'd check would be the nib, see if there's a baby's bottom issue (google it for more details and solutions). If that's the problem, it's not uncommon, but it's also a quick and easy issue to fix.

Why do you consider it not a true fountain pen?

First thing I would try is to flush the nib and feed with warm water using an ear bulb to flush any leftover manufacturing residue out of the nib and feed. I wouldn't do anything else until this is done and you have determined that it is still doing it. Then and only then would I worry about baby's bottom and other things.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Did all that but still having issues. Nib seems perfect to me, but I don't have a loupe handy.... it's new, after all. Maybe I just picked up a dud.

For what it's worth, I bought a jotter a year ago and had same issue. I just spent 10 minutes scribbling on rough paper non-stop. Eventually it started working and has been great since. I suspect they may have residue as mentioned earlier or that the nib just needs "loosening up". Good luck!

Top Bottom