What's new

Parker adjustable injector ?

“I believe injectors work best when the head is kept almost parallel to the face.

But the most important thing I noted, was that pressure can both help and hurt the shave. Injectors need some pressure, being so light.”

This! I have found that the secret to good injector shaves is a combo of very flat/parallel blade orientation and some pressure.

If you keep the blade flat to the face, you will not scrape, but you will also not shave.

You need to keep the blade flat, and press enough to “deflect” the skin, setting the razor face down into your face just a bit.

This technique gives both a good, close shave and no razor burn or nicks. I never cut myself with my injectors using this technique. This is one area where coming to an injector razor from a DE is a bit of a liability, as DEs train you to use no pressure and maintain the angle and listen/feel for feedback. That is due to DEs requiring an angle for their cut.

An injector is more like a GEM. The blade is designed to cut at a very shallow angle. The difference between a GEM and an injector, however, is the GEM is more likely to bite you if you don’t pay attention. The injector not so much.

Try a very flat angle and a bit of pressure, with the caveat being VERY FLAT ANGLE. The face of Schicks are dimpled to help with glide as you ride the face. They are meant to ride the face; you just need to set the razor face down into the plane of your face just a bit. It won’t bite if you keep it flat.

Disclaimer: YMMV! 🙂

I’m learning this the hard way. There are a few quirks that I’m not sure are specific to this razor or injectors in general but I noticed I’m unable to get both sides of the blade to rest on the stops however I am able to get it to be even if it “floats” above the stops a bit. Then, if I use the technique you describe, I can get achieve a smooth pass.I’ve never really understood riding the cap until now but that with a small amount of pressure seems to do the trick.

I also ordered some new Schick blades to see what difference it makes. I really like this razor and am willing to put in some effort to make it work. It is much more difficult than I expected however.

What I found is that if I go too steep, it may be prone to a rougher shave. I can feel/hear the razor doing its job when I am fairly shallow, that is, more towards the cap position if this were a DE razor. As I think I posted above, I believe injectors work best when the head is kept almost parallel to the face. Obviously, you have to lift it a little to get the blade to engage with the stubble!

This! I have found that the secret to good injector shaves is a combo of very flat/parallel blade orientation and some pressure.

If you keep the blade flat to the face, you will not scrape, but you will also not shave.

You need to keep the blade flat, and press enough to “deflect” the skin, setting the razor face down into your face just a bit.

This technique gives both a good, close shave and no razor burn or nicks. I never cut myself with my injectors using this technique. This is one area where coming to an injector razor from a DE is a bit of a liability, as DEs train you to use no pressure and maintain the angle and listen/feel for feedback. That is due to DEs requiring an angle for their cut.

Good advice, today was my 3rd shave and the first shave were I actually got a decent shave from the Parker Adjustable V2. Like both of you have mentioned coming from a DE shaver to a single injector does require a different approach. Holding the razor handle slightly higher in a ride the cap position is the trick for my shave experience.

My first shave was rough with burn and left a lot of strays due to me trying a DE technique with an injector single edge razor. Recipe for disaster; light touch left strays, steep angle created burn...

Still have not got a BBS with the Parker but not gonna pass judgement on razor till I have a few more shaves and more time.

I’ve only inserted one blade, so far. I found that the head and the guard on the side the injector is inserted into separated so that there was more blade showing on that side than the other. But a gentle push closed the gap and the blade exposure was then even.

When you shave with any type of safety razor, DE, SE or injector, angle and pressure are important but you have to learn to "feel" the blade against the skin. Don't look at the angle of the razor, "feel" it against the skin.
When I try a new razor I can find the right angle on the first stroke in less than 2 inches. I hear people say they do a full shave at the wrong angle then on the next shave try a new angle and get it right.
When I was new to wet shaving this is something no one ever said any thing about.
Shaving is about feeling the blade as it cuts not how your face feels after the shave is over.
The next time you shave do a slow stroke down (WTG) and slowly raise and lower the the angle of the blade. Pay attention to how the blade feels against your skin and you will find a point that feels smoother. That's the right angle.
Pressure is the same. Add a little more or less and at some point it feels smoother.
You can really feel the difference with an aggressive razor.
Good Luck and Happy Shaving

When you shave with any type of safety razor, DE, SE or injector, angle and pressure are important but you have to learn to "feel" the blade against the skin. Don't look at the angle of the razor, "feel" it against the skin.
When I try a new razor I can find the right angle on the first stroke in less than 2 inches. I hear people say they do a full shave at the wrong angle then on the next shave try a new angle and get it right.
When I was new to wet shaving this is something no one ever said any thing about.
Shaving is about feeling the blade as it cuts not how your face feels after the shave is over.
The next time you shave do a slow stroke down (WTG) and slowly raise and lower the the angle of the blade. Pay attention to how the blade feels against your skin and you will find a point that feels smoother. That's the right angle.
Pressure is the same. Add a little more or less and at some point it feels smoother.

That’s certainly good advice and I thank you for posting it. I suppose the challenge I’ve had thus far with this razor is the almost complete lack of blade feel. I think I was expecting the blade feel of a DE and this seems to have nothing like that. That they leads me to believe I just need to recalibrate and learn what blade feel on an injector is like.

Nicely said and a wonderful tip for us all!

That’s certainly good advice and I thank you for posting it. I suppose the challenge I’ve had thus far with this razor is the almost complete lack of blade feel. I think I was expecting the blade feel of a DE and this seems to have nothing like that. That they leads me to believe I just need to recalibrate and learn what blade feel on an injector is like.
Yes injector razors do feel and shave different than DE razors and the Parker and later model Schicks are rather mild compared to the vintage Pal adjustable and Eversharp/Schick. If you want an aggressive injector razor try a vintage Eversharp/Schick. Those are very easy to find on ebay and cost is rather low. It was the first injector I ever shaved with and boy was it different from DE razors
s-l1600 (1).jpg

I agree with what you said about the different razor angles, but not all razors are equal and while some razors are super easy to use even on the first try, others are not. The angle on some razors is very natural and intuitive and they feel like child's play while on others one must be more careful to get it right during the whole shave.

I'm by no means a shaving expert and I'm just speaking from my own experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feeling a blade with my skin is a risky :eek2: event ! Here? Extremely sensitive and get one thing wrong... Burn, break outs, weepers, and rash. Nothing I can do to change this feature. So trying new razors can be an event that has consequence in my case and many others here may have the same issue.

Trying SE on for size now, first stop awhile ago was an Autostrop V1 and put it down after one partial use, felt like shaving with a chain saw. Trying to give Parker a chance but it may be that SE might not be my thing...

Any advice is welcome and I certainly appreciate everyone's input here :straight: could not ask for a more Gentlemanly place or better group of knowledgeable people.

I agree with what you said about the different razor angles, but not all razors are equal and while some razors are super easy to use even on the first try, others are not. The angle on some razors is very natural and intuitive and they feel like child's play while on others one must be more careful to get it right during the whole shave.

I'm by no means a shaving expert and I'm just speaking from my own experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I find this truth to be self evident in my shaving experience. Hear, Hear.

I received a pack of new Schick blades today and gave the Parker another try. I suppose I can say it was marginally better but still not an easy or intuitive shave. I’ve watched a ton of videos of people using this razor to see what angle they use and most of them start with the head flat and then angle down slightly. Some of them are using an even steeper angle and pressing down. In an case, all of them seem to be getting clean passes with a solid amount of stubble removal. I have soft hair and no matter what I’ve tried thus far, I can’t seem to get either the angle or pressure correct.

I’m not sure if it’s all me or if it’s possible there’s something wrong with the razor. I mean, it is pretty lightweight and malleable. Being new, I have no idea what Parker’s quality control is like. Has anyone heard of a someone getting a bad one?

I’ll keep trying but it’s not not going well so far…

I recently had some vintage Schick E and G shaving instructions shared with me (instructions with the razor).

Surprisingly, they actually echo what I shared from my findings of shaving with injectors… especially about keeping the blade in the same plane as the face (flat) and adding pressure to deflect the surface of the face so that the blade is inset into the face. That is how the injector blade creates its angle to shave, by deflection, not by holding the razor/blade at an angle. It is actually, IMHO, a much better and more consistent way to shave.

I will stress again that I have never been bit, cut, or nicked by any injector, even the so called aggressive Es and Gs. While I get nice blade feel, I do not get nicked.

I do believe those of us with decades of shaving experience with carts (mine is with Sensor Excels) do adapt to Injectors more easily. Even though I have recently been shaving with DEs, GEMs, etc… the Injector technique fell right into place (like riding a bike).

This next statement will be controversial, and is strictly my opinion, but I believe that the Schick Injector shaving system is the overall best, even compared to GEMs, of which I am a big fan. I actually came into single edge shaving with bias FOR GEMS and AGAINST Injectors, but the Injectors have won me over. They are elegant, maneuverable, long-lasting, simple, have outstanding blade life, great costs/shave, and deliver the smoothest, least irritating, most satisfying shaves with minimal effort and, for me, never a cut or nick. Even the blades themselves are more efficient from a materials standpoint, and that efficiency allows the shaving head to be much smaller and therefore more maneuverable. That in turn allows an even more optimal shaving angle (flat) for the thick, sharp blade.

OK. Back to injector shaving technique 🙂

Instructions below: Enjoy (thanks @Lord NSIC !):
71300D41-769F-461D-8980-A9359168A942.jpeg
3B1EA7B0-7519-494B-86DC-76F6D2E0A8C1.jpeg

I’m not sure if it’s all me or if it’s possible there’s something wrong with the razor. I mean, it is pretty lightweight and malleable. Being new, I have no idea what Parker’s quality control is like. Has anyone heard of a someone getting a bad one?

I’ll keep trying but it’s not not going well so far…

I will preface by saying, for those having great shaves with the Parker V2, carry on. You must've received a good one.

As for me, I jumped into injectors with two purchases, a Parker V2 and a vintage Schick I type (hydro-magic).
My first shave with the Schick was amazing... very close and smooth. As for the Parker, I was leery from the beginning due to what looks like an uneven blade gap or spacial difference between the lower guard and cap. The gap appears greater at the front left and becomes worse as I increase the gap via adjustment.

Sure enough, rough and uncomfortable shaves with the Parker. They aren't even in the same ballpark. It bothers me how the lower guard on the Parker is not a solid piece all the way across, but of course it can't be because that's the part that the adjustment knob moves as you turn it. Below are the two heads compared - Schick G vs Parker V2. Hopefully the uneven gap shows in the Parker photo:

20210831_201651.jpg

20210831_201925.jpg

Before injectors, my experience was cartridge, then DE followed by AC shavette and straights. Lately, I'm back to my DEs and injectors. As for straights and shavettes, there was somebody else in the forum who posted that preparing for a shave should feel fun and enjoyable, not like I'm girding for battle. I concur. To each their own though, some blokes love it.

As for injectors, if my only experience had been the Parker, perhaps I would've been disappointed with injectors. For me, the vintage Schick was the far better choice. They are abundant and fairly cheap on the auction sites and as a result of my first great shaves, my collection has grown to 2 hydro-magic, an E, G and I type (non-hydro) and just added a PAL injectomatic. If I was dead set on new and modern, then I'd spring for the Supply w 3 dot plate. I don't own it but those whose opinions I trust speak highly of the shave quality. For me, I just can't get past the form factor, preferring shorter handles on my injectors and DEs.

cheers

Last edited:
I will preface by saying, for those having great shaves with the Parker V2, carry on. You must've received a good one.

As for me, I jumped into injectors with two purchases, a Parker V2 and a vintage Schick I type (hydro-magic).
My first shave with the Schick was amazing... very close and smooth. As for the Parker, I was leery from the beginning due to what looks like an uneven blade gap or spacial difference between the lower guard and cap. The gap appears greater at the front left and becomes worse as I increase the gap via adjustment.

Sure enough, rough and uncomfortable shaves with the Parker. They aren't even in the same ballpark. It bothers me how the lower guard on the Parker is not a solid piece all the way across, but of course it can't be because that's the part that the adjustment knob moves as you turn it. Below are the two heads compared - Schick G vs Parker V2. Hopefully the uneven gap shows in the Parker photo:

View attachment 1320504

View attachment 1320505

Before injectors, my experience was cartridge, then DE followed by AC shavette and straights. Lately, I'm back to my DEs and injectors. As for straights and shavettes, there was somebody else in the forum who posted that preparing for a shave should feel fun and enjoyable, not like I'm girding for battle. I concur. To each their own though, some blokes love it.

As for injectors, if my only experience had been the Parker, perhaps I would've been disappointed with injectors. For me, the vintage Schick was the far better choice. They are abundant and fairly cheap on the auction sites and as a result of my first great shaves, my collection has grown to 2 hydro-magic, an E, G and I type (non-hydro) and just added a PAL injectomatic. If I was dead set on new and modern, then I'd spring for the Supply w 3 dot plate. I don't own it but those whose opinions I trust speak highly of the shave quality. For me, I just can't get past the form factor, preferring shorter handles on my injectors and DEs.

cheers

That is a great catch! Always nice when you can find a root cause.

I was suspicious of their being an issue with the blade exposure being inconsistent, especially with different people having widely different experiences.

An adjustable can be convenient, but there is a lot more that can go wrong with them.

If you are interested in the wonderful world of injectors, I would recommend trying a vintage E or G. Gs are plentiful and consistent and inexpensive. They are also super cool in an Art Deco sort of way.

Once you decide you like them, there’s always the Supply, which is “adjustable” in a more solid manner. Happy shaving! 🙂

That is a great catch! Always nice when you can find a root cause.

I was suspicious of their being an issue with the blade exposure being inconsistent, especially with different people having widely different experiences.

An adjustable can be convenient, but there is a lot more that can go wrong with them.

Agreed, inconsistent QC might be one reason for some users getting nice shaves vs not so great. On the flipside, I salute Parker for mass producing an injector razor since I can only think of Parker and Supply for modern versions. Perhaps there are others... ?

Agreed, inconsistent QC might be one reason for some users getting nice shaves vs not so great. On the flipside, I salute Parker for mass producing an injector razor since I can only think of Parker and Supply for modern versions. Perhaps there are others... ?
The only other that I know of off the top of my head is the Shave Classic, which looks like a Type L clone. I don’t think it gets very good reviews, however.

Wow! The Personna handle seems very short. I was surprised at the overall size of the Parker. It feels tiny in my hands. To be fair, I’m also not a fan of short handled DEs as well. I have big hands and limited flexibility.

I have to say that SEs fascinate me in a way that DEs haven’t (yet?).
The Personna actually feels pretty substantial, due to the size and weight of the head. It gives me a fantastic shave, as do the other two I have in the photo.

Top Bottom