What's new

Parker A1-R Travel Razor

In order to expend my Travel razor collection I bought a Parker A1-R. This tiny razor in fact is not so little as my Merkur 933 or merkur 985.
The size and weight is very close to normal size razors. Thus I may say you can use at home and during travel as well.

In order to have an idea;

IMG_20210203_155015.jpg

Left bigger pouch is Parker and the two small black pouchs are merkur 933 and 985.

Germans made two pieces telescopic handles which help to reduce the space of the handle of Merkur.

IMG_20210203_155210.jpg

But Parker did not good at space reducing. Parker handle is also two pieces but it is not telescopic (you can not insert one piece into the other one). Handle gripping is very agressive, you can not accidentaly slide and drop between you fingers.

IMG_20210203_155100.jpg

Razor Head is more aggressive then Merkur (both 933 and 985). Parker use M5 type screw this means that you can use you EJ89 or similar DE Razor handle. In order to "upgrade" my Ej89 on aggressive side, I am using my Parker head with my EJ89 Barley handle.

IMG_20210218_164950.jpg

Weight is 76 grams, it is not a light weight razor at all.

IMG_20210203_155353.jpg

With a hasslinger soap, omega 50014 travel brush a good setup for travel.

I'm working on a small travel razor collection myself and recently added the Parker. My assessment is the same: It's a bit on the aggressive side, thought not too much. I.e., not in R41 territory. When assembled it has all the size and heft of a typical DE, which some might find important.

Personally, I like the Merkur a little more: the compactness, lightness, and more mild shave are all plusses for me when traveling. But I don't regret purchasing the Parker, and its case is very nice. The biggest downside is that I'm not comfortable trying to squeeze any blades in with the razor. You probably could, but it's a tight fit in the case section that holds the head, so I choose to carry blades separately, which is a little less convenient.

My other travelers are a Gillette Travel Tech, and a Maggard standard head with their MRT handle. The Travel Tech is fun because it fits perfectly in a mini Altoids metal box, along with plenty of blades. It's tiny, and the short handle takes a little getting used to, but I find that endearing rather than difficult. (Though I wouldn't ever make it my one and only razor.) The Maggard has a much stouter handle that, while still short, is really a pleasure to use. Makes it easier to focus on the angles just because it's different, and still has a very nice grip. Maggard also sells a nifty leather travel pouch that holds the handle, any standard head, and a full tuck of blades. Both the Gillette TT and the Maggard have the slight advantage that there's less assembly--they're three pieces rather than the 4 of the Merkur and Parker, so a bit less fiddly if you're in a rush, or shaving somewhere public like a campsite bathroom.

Still, if I had to pick just one, it might be the Merkur. I've had it for close to 35 years, I think, and the way that half the handle stores inside of its partner piece is cool and makes it oh so compact. I've also got no problem fitting a couple of blades in the little case.

Would love to see more travel razors--sometime I'll put up photos of mine. I'm out of town on vacation the week after next and look forward to deciding which to bring. But could well be none of the above as I've got a new Kai Captain Kamasori that I'd like to spend some time with.

I'm working on a small travel razor collection myself and recently added the Parker. My assessment is the same: It's a bit on the aggressive side, thought not too much. I.e., not in R41 territory. When assembled it has all the size and heft of a typical DE, which some might find important.

Personally, I like the Merkur a little more: the compactness, lightness, and more mild shave are all plusses for me when traveling. But I don't regret purchasing the Parker, and its case is very nice. The biggest downside is that I'm not comfortable trying to squeeze any blades in with the razor. You probably could, but it's a tight fit in the case section that holds the head, so I choose to carry blades separately, which is a little less convenient.

My other travelers are a Gillette Travel Tech, and a Maggard standard head with their MRT handle. The Travel Tech is fun because it fits perfectly in a mini Altoids metal box, along with plenty of blades. It's tiny, and the short handle takes a little getting used to, but I find that endearing rather than difficult. (Though I wouldn't ever make it my one and only razor.) The Maggard has a much stouter handle that, while still short, is really a pleasure to use. Makes it easier to focus on the angles just because it's different, and still has a very nice grip. Maggard also sells a nifty leather travel pouch that holds the handle, any standard head, and a full tuck of blades. Both the Gillette TT and the Maggard have the slight advantage that there's less assembly--they're three pieces rather than the 4 of the Merkur and Parker, so a bit less fiddly if you're in a rush, or shaving somewhere public like a campsite bathroom.

Still, if I had to pick just one, it might be the Merkur. I've had it for close to 35 years, I think, and the way that half the handle stores inside of its partner piece is cool and makes it oh so compact. I've also got no problem fitting a couple of blades in the little case.

Would love to see more travel razors--sometime I'll put up photos of mine. I'm out of town on vacation the week after next and look forward to deciding which to bring. But could well be none of the above as I've got a new Kai Captain Kamasori that I'd like to spend some time with.

I agree with you, it is difficult to store blades into the pouch along with Parker (which is the same case with Merkur 933 or 985). So I carry the blades separately.

If we rate EJ89 agressiveness 3/10, we can rate Parker agressiveness 4/10 (my rating on R41 agressiveness is 8) of course as always YMMV.

I'll be happy to see your travel razor along with your travel set (this will help to have new ideas on travel equipment as well).

Interesting post and I’m surprised there isn’t more on BB about travel razors and supplementary kit. I have the Merkur 933 and the Parker which I find too aggressive and a tad big/heavy for a travel razor although I tend to use it with a Merkur 33 or a Jagger head.
Like yourself, I prefer the Merkur which is an excellent piece of engineering. For many years I had the 985 OC which served me well until I lost it on a trip to Eastern Europe a few years back. I’ve often thought about upgrading to the classy looking Merkur 46c which looks heavier, longer and has a beautiful case with space for a box of blades. Strangely, it doesn’t seem to be too popular with hardly a review anywhere. But for general travel, camping and wild - country use the 933/985 is unbeatable.

Top Bottom