What's new

Parker 99R or Rockwell 2C?

Which do you think is the better razor - the Parker 99R or the Rockwell 2C?

• Parker 99R

Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Rockwell 2C

Votes: 10 52.6%

• Total voters
What do you guys think? I am so tempted by both of these two!

In the poll I'd really like it to be a general head to head and not just about my preferences, but I'd love some comments on my own preferences too.

Blade alignment is important to me and also the ability to loosen the razor when I rinse it because I find that helps me clean it out a lot more easily. That's of course easy with a butterfly razor but... what about the Rockwell? Those are the main things I guess, for me.

Thanks peeps! :)

I cast my vote for the Parker 99R - but I would suggest a Rockwell 6C. The 2C doesn't afford the opportunity to try and see which plate works best for you.

I am currently using plate 4, but am going to try plate 5 again.

Just my two cents.

Neither. The 2C only goes up to plate 3, which for me is not enough. The finishing on the Parker 99R looks horrendous, based on the picture on Amazon.

The Parker Variant actually looks pretty awesome. But I would recommend the Rockwell 6C (or put up a WTB for a 6S) for anyone:

1) With six plate options, you'll surely find one that works for you.
2) So many people have used the Rockwell 6C/6S that the plates are a helpful reference point when asking for opinions on other razors.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I would say add some more money and maybe buy a Razorock.

BTW: the 99R is a butterfly. Parker has regular quality issues, and butterflies have multiple points of failure.

Why not the Parker 98R? It's a 3 piece with a heavy handle and less likely to suffer from issues by design.

If you want a Rockwell, you might as well go 6C. And possible even find plate 4-6 to be too mild.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
Rockwell 6c/6s will not have alignment issues. Because the pillars are thick enough, some people even think that the blades are too tightly fixed.

TTO's blade fixation is inherently inferior to the three-piece type, and there are more unstable factors in the structure, which also increases the trouble of maintenance.The only advantage is that the blade can be replaced quickly.

Compared with the two, 6C obviously can bring a better shaving experience, especially it has a large fan reputation; even if you don’t love it, it will not be too difficult to sell.
Of course, I prefer the 6S version.The extra weight and matting appearance are very unique on the razor stand, which can avoid excessive repetition vision of my collection.

Edit: I didn't answer your question, sorry for that.

I don't trust the butterfly type razors, too many variables that can go wrong and spoil the experience.
2C is very limited in aggresion choices.

If you have already figured out how aggressive, close shave you want and these two razor satisfies your need, then by all means, go for 2C.

But, if you are experiencing the razors (new like me or many others), then I'll suggest that you give a minute to the paragraph written below.

I have Parker Variant Adjustable, RazoRock BBS and RazoRock Game Changer OC 84.

In my personal experience Parker Variant Adjustable will give you good shaves daily, but you'll be a bit raw after several shaves.
If you think that lower settings will be gentle, then yes, they'll be gentle but the closeness and almost BBS shave will be traded.
It'll work better with milder blades like Wilkinson Sword (India), Supermax Platinum Plus etc.

With RazoRock BBS, you can get 3 pass + touch up BBS, no irritation, but it takes more passes.
It'll work better with sharper blades like Feather, 7 O'clock Black etc.

Now, with RazoRock Game Changer OC 84, daily 2 pass plus touch-ups, my skin is currently very happy, daily shaves aren't irritating my face, although I'm inclined to purchase the Solid Bar base plate as well, just to be safe.

My suggestion, see if you like to shave daily go for RazoRock OC 68/ 84 SB.

If you shave intermittently, go for Parker Variant Adjustable, this will give you a chance to explore how much aggressive razor you prefer.

If you are sure of your skin's tolerance, then go for RazoRock 84 OC and Solid Bar together and be done with razor purchase.

I'll most likely keep the above mentioned razors with me and my RAD is on the verge of getting cured (maybe I'll add a Lupo just for experience).

Last edited:
Seconded on RazoRock GameChanger. It's well priced and worth trying out. I have the .68 SB and .84 SB. I shave entirely ATG and they're similar enough that you can go either way. I have been too busy testing other razors to really figure out which I prefer, but I enjoyed using both and neither really jumped out as the clear favorite.

I'm kinda crying Jehova here: why not getting a vintage Gillette Super-Speed (if you prefer a flat head, one from mid 1960s, or otherwise better get a Red Tip)?!

I cast my vote for the Parker 99R - but I would suggest a Rockwell 6C. The 2C doesn't afford the opportunity to try and see which plate works best for you.

I am currently using plate 4, but am going to try plate 5 again.

Just my two cents.

+1! The 6C would get my vote also, if it were an option in the poll! :clap: :clap:

+1! The 6C would get my vote also, if it were an option in the poll! :clap: :clap:

I would have done... but I just wanted to keep it to razors in the same price bracket I guess. I don't actually know anything about Parker's higher end razors though, strangely o.0

I've been trying the metal Wilkinson Sword razor recently and it's a bit aggressive for me so I think the 99R would be too!

I'm reading that the 2C has plates 2 and 4 from the 6S?

I wonder if plate 2 would be comparable to my black plastic WS razor that I love so much, as that too is mild :)

I'm reading that the 2C has plates 2 and 4 from the 6S?
I thought it was the 1/3 plate. In any case, I can't find the 2C on the Rockwell site, so I'm wondering whether this is even sold any more. For any 2C owners, I did see the 2/4 base plate for sale for $15.

I thought it was the 1/3 plate. In any case, I can't find the 2C on the Rockwell site, so I'm wondering whether this is even sold any more. For any 2C owners, I did see the 2/4 base plate for sale for $15.
Oh yeah it's not on there. It's still common on eBay and stuff though. I didn't check their own site.

They seem to be pushing the 6C instead as their budget model.

EDIT -- I think you're right about the 2C plates being 1 and 3 :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom