What's new

Parker 99r or Merkur 47c

Welcome to B&B, Tom. I don't have any experience with those razors. I had a Merkur 34C and really liked it. Perhaps you can tell us what you are looking for; aggressive razor, mild razor, light, heavy, etc.

I've never used the Merkur 47c, though it looks nice, but I own and like my Parker 99r. It's heavier and heftier than any other razor I use as well.

The Parker is significantly heavier than the Merkur. Whether or not this is a good thing is up to you. I terms of weight the Merkur 38C is a more direct comparison. The Parker 99R is my daily razor. It is very well built, it should stand up to years of use.

And BTW welcome. Ask questions, people here love to help.

I've not tried either of those models, but have had great success with other models from both makers. I've got 2 Parkers and 3 Merkurs in my stable right now and, other than the Futur, I use them regularly. The Futur and I have a love/hate relationship.

Without a bit more information it is difficult to recommend a razor. What are you looking for?

I don't have a real heavy or overly thick beard. Neck area tends to be somewhat sensitive. I'm a bit older so my skin Is not overly taut. Looking for a mild smooth razor with a longer handle. I have larger hands.

I just posted this on another thread, here it is FWIW...

I shaved with my 99r for the first time today. Hot shower, bloom water (WSP Rustic Barbershop), Whipped Dog 24mm HM... Did the first pass WTG with a new Derby and it was pulling like crazy (I gave up on them) and irritating. Switch to an Astra (2) for the second pass XTG, smooth but the irritation was still present. Third pass touch ups, cold water, Pinaud Clubman, Nivea ASB. The irritation subdued immediately and the result... DFS. I'll try again but I think I will go back to my EJ89L (smooth!), that is until I get my new Rockwell 6s on Friday!! One thing I can say though, I strongly prefer the feel of a three piece better than a TTO, of course YMMV. Cheers!

Finally shaved with my new Parker 99R. Used a Gillette Platinum Plus blade. First shave not bad. Not a single nick or cut. Rinsed with warm water, then cold water then finished with alum bar followed by Nivea Sensitive ASB. Liking it.

Finally shaved with my new Parker 99R. Used a Gillette Platinum Plus blade. First shave not bad. Not a single nick or cut. Rinsed with warm water, then cold water then finished with alum bar followed by Nivea Sensitive ASB. Liking it.
Sounds like a winner.

Sent using Tapatalk

So long as you aren't set on a heavier razor I would suggest considering the Feather Popular which although lightweight is a well made and forgiving razor that still does the job.

I find the Merkur slightly more aggressive than the Parker. If you want a more aggressive aggressive razor, I'd go with Merk. If you want a milder razor, I'd go with the Parker.

Top Bottom