What's new

Parker 87R

I received the 87r just over a week ago. First impression was positive. Fit and finish was good. Reminds me of the finish on a Fatip. Almost looks vintage right out of the box. I like that. I did notice a rough spot when opening/closing the doors but nothing bad, just a slight catch like there was a burr in the threads. When closed the chrome plate looks smooth and uniform. Under the doors the bass plate has some waves in it but nothing that looks like a problem. I did my usual hot water/dawn soak and gave it a light scrub with a tooth brush. Rinsed with water then rinsed with alcohol. I added a drop of gun oil and opened and closed the doors a few times. The catch in the threads was gone and all worked smoothly. I have used the 87r daily for the last week with an Astra SP and MWF soap. The shaves have been good. No issues. So far, I would say the shave lands just short of a Red Tip and just as smooth. In the hand, the 87r feels like a Fat Boy, good weighty feel and nice handle. Can you tell I really like this razor so far? This week I am using the 87r with an Israeli Red. The fist shave was a bit closer than the Astra SP but we will see how the rest of the week goes. At this point I know it is a keeper but I have a few more blades I want to try. The blade aligns perfectly every time. I have not noticed any issues with the build quality as have been reported in the past. Very enjoyable razor thus far.

I hit the sweet spot with the 87r today. Using MWF, an Israeli Red and Shave Secret, it was the best shave so far with this razor. Very smooth, no issues and BBS save for around the Adam's Apple, DFS there. Next week i will use either a Nacet or a Feather. I also have a pack of Treets that I have never tried. Still think the 87r has more to give.

I am using a Treet Platinum in the 87r this week. First 2 shaves with the Treet have been very good. Better than my go to Astra SP. The Israeli Reds also worked very well. Next week maybe a Crown or Lord blade.

The Treet worked well in the 87r last week but this week I decided to try something completely different. I loaded a Super Max Tiger Super Platinum. Lathered with MWF. What a surprise this blade was! I had never used a Super Max and did not know what to expect. I thought, the razor is made in India why not try a blade from India? It was a good decision. The Super Max provided the best shave so far. A BBS by my standards, smooth and comfortable, no issues. As I write this almost 8 hours after I shaved, I am just approaching a DFS. If this blade lasts all week it should be a great shave week! I received a tuck of 5 Super Max blades with a razor I purchased some time ago. They have been stashed away in a closet with all my other odd ball blades collected over the years. I thought they were just another cheap blade but I was way wrong. I did some Google searching but have not been able to find the Super Max Tiger Super Platinum blades for sale. I am afraid they may no longer be in production. Too bad as this combination of Super Max blade and 87R are a perfect match for my face. At least I have 4 left on reserve for "special occasions".

The 87R and the Super Max Super Platinum made for a great combination. A week of great shaves. Unfortunately, I have learned that these blades are no longer in production but Super-Max has other blades that are still in production. So, this week, I decided to try the Vidyut Super-Max Stainless. On 2 days growth, the Vidyut did a great job. It did not seem as smooth as the Super Platinum but it was not bad by any means. Great first shave with the Vidyut and I am looking forward to seeing how well this blade holds up. At this point, I think it is safe to say the 87R is not picky about blades, at least it has worked well for me and the blades I have tried. After 4 weeks with the 87R, using it as a daily razor, I can say without reserve that I really like the 87R. I still have several more blades to try; Feather, Nacet, Derby Extra, Crown and Lord. I may even try one of my Feather Carbon Steel blades just for fun.

Just ordered an 87r today using an xmas gift card. Looking forward to trying it. In terms of TTOs I have two Gillette Super Speeds (1958 and 1965) and a Baili BR179 and I’m hoping it will be more a bit more efficient than those.

Just ordered an 87r today using an xmas gift card. Looking forward to trying it. In terms of TTOs I have two Gillette Super Speeds (1958 and 1965) and a Baili BR179 and I’m hoping it will be more a bit more efficient than those.

I have Superspeeds and the 179. In my use the 87r is a bit more efficient but just as smooth. I hope you enjoy the 87r.

I have Superspeeds and the 179. In my use the 87r is a bit more efficient but just as smooth. I hope you enjoy the 87r.
Got my 87r and have had three shaves so far with it. What a great shaver! For all the talk about it being mild I was surprised that it wasn’t as mild as I thought it would be. The Merkur 25c I have is mild this is far more aggressive than that. I get great audio feedback and it has a nice feel in the hand. I didn’t have any fit or finish issues with it either so overall I’m happy with it 👍

7900D851-33A9-4A53-A58C-27E4432132B3.jpeg

20210113_113232.jpg

Brush: Razorock Big Bruce
Soap: Le Père Lucien~ Cèdre Orange
Razor: Parker 87R
Blade: Rapira Platinum Lux (5)

JAHE said:
SOTD 20.11.2020
Very close shave today. However I have mixed feelings wtr to this razor. The results never gave any reason to bother, however, this beauty is such a rough guy whilst shaving. I have yet to find a blade which provides smooth shaves with this razor...
Another run with Parker 87R today.
Again, a close shave. Blade was the RPL.
The shave was smooth in the wtg pass and okay in xtg pass, however atg was a bit of a tortuire (very slow exercised mini strokes with a permanent "bitey" blade feel)

Overall, the shave was okay (better than with the Gillette yellow in the former SOTD post. ), but my copy of this razor is clearly lacking a level of comfort In the atg pass. Blade alignment is flawless, though.

ATG with my 87r has been fine using Astra SP, Personna Reds, Nacet, Feather and Tiger. Have never tried a Rapira blade.

ATG with my 87r has been fine using Astra SP, Personna Reds, Nacet, Feather and Tiger. Have never tried a Rapira blade.

FWIW, the 87R (to be more precise: my copy of the 87R) is the only razor I have issues with. I regularly shave with razors which are reputated to be way more aggressive (say Mühle R41, Razorock GC .84 Jaws, Fatip Grande OC) and have no issues with "bitey" passes with them.

The RPL is one of my to-go blade brands. In terms of smoothness and sharpness imho they are comparable to Personna Reds (I would say they are sharper than ASP, Nacet might be a tad sharper than RPL).

I'll keep looking for a even better working blade... however, maybe this razor just isn't for me... I really woud like to have nicer shaves with the 87R. I like the look and feel.

Had another good shave with the 87R this morning with a 7 O'Clock Platinum. I've read about some quality control issues with this razor, so not sure if I just lucked out but it's performing well for me. I'm still dialing in the right angle but I do get good shaves from it.

I must say though, when I compare it to the Baili 179 I have, which most would consider a "cheap" razor, I'm impressed with the quality of shave that Baili gives me. I really could use that all the time. I find the Parker a bit more aggressive though which I do like. Not sure what the blade gap and exposure stats are on it but it works well for me. Overall, I'm enjoying the 87R 👍

ECBD30A0-3EE3-4129-9E42-77AF13AFE7C7.jpeg

I have the 179 as well and would agree it is a nice razor and milder than the 87R. I like the fact that the 87R is brass and not zamac like the 179. Not a real concern as I am sure they will both last longer than I will. 😆

I have the 179 as well and would agree it is a nice razor and milder than the 87R. I like the fact that the 87R is brass and not zamac like the 179. Not a real concern as I am sure they will both last longer than I will. 😆
Yes good point. The 179 does feel light and a bit jangly compared to the 87R due to the zamac. The 87R is more solid and the weight of the handle is great. Baili should consider doing that as well. But for the price point, the Baili is a great buy I think. I really like having both of these razors, plus the two Super Speeds I have, I feel like I've got the bases covered in terms of short-handled TTOs!

I'm glad to read of other folks positive experiences with the 87R. :001_smile I've shaved with it for over a year now and find it to be a wonderful razor, mild yet efficient with my preferred Astra SP blades. No QC issues to speak of, thank goodness.

I'm glad to read of other folks positive experiences with the 87R. :001_smile I've shaved with it for over a year now and find it to be a wonderful razor, mild yet efficient with my preferred Astra SP blades. No QC issues to speak of, thank goodness.
Gonna try with an Astra SP next!

Excellent! Let us know how it works for you.
Had a night shave today using the 87R and an Astra SP. Very, very nice combo. Got a smooth, comfortable, efficient shave. Pretty close to BBS actually even though I wasn’t shooting for that. Looking forward to trying different blades with this razor 👍.

43D49FEF-FB2A-4818-AA88-9F3CEFF3B82D.jpeg

I tried something a little different today: A Gillette Platinum with my Parker. It was a smooth shave with no irritation, but the performance didn't exactly knock my socks off. We'll see if it picks up its stride in subsequent shaves.

20210117_232316.jpg

Another fine shave with a Tatra Platinum today. So far I gotta agree with @CoMF that an Astra SP and this razor is a perfect combo. I haven’t had a bad shave with any blade yet in the 87R but for now the Astra SP is the combo to beat.

981B72E9-6AB9-4A1D-9BFF-C6FA896985A7.jpeg

Top Bottom