What's new

Parker '51' on Craigslist

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
(B&B policy prohibits links to live e-bay auctions ... I don't think we've ever turned our minds to Craggslisht, though ... :a20: :idea:)

(B&B policy prohibits links to live e-bay auctions ... I don't think we've ever turned our minds to Craggslisht, though ... :a20: :idea:)

I did a little search and someone insisted on posting a CL ad so I thought it couldn't hurt to post one. And it does say local buyers only :001_tt2:

I figured that much, I don't want to low ball him by asking a third of the price but I just don't know how much value the cap itself gives to the pen. I see a lot of 51 selling for sub $60-80 on FPN and I may be heading to the area tomorrow. I just like the idea of trying before I buy.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I'm no "51" expert but the cap often dictates the value of a particular pen. Brian knows these caps inside out but I need to refer to this page (actually a whole bunch of pages for loads of different styles) here at parker51.com

I would probably not pay that much for an aerometric.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I did a little search and someone insisted on posting a CL ad so I thought it couldn't hurt to post one. And it does say local buyers only :001_tt2:

Yeah, currently there is no "rule" about C-list ... unlike e-bay ... I was just thinking aloud in general terms, and nothing intended or implied about this particular post.

:001_cool:

There's nothing wrong with the OP ... unless he pays that much for a 51.

Gold Caps are not uncommon. The 5 converging is a common cap. Midnight blue is also a very common color. It having no date puts it after 1952.

Surely not commanding that price !!!.....

For an aerometric I wouldn't offer more than $30 and that is if there are no dings on the cap. $20 or less for a dinged cap.
Gold caps are getting a bit harder to find in the wild but they are far from rare.
Maybe he meant to type $15.0. and miss-placed the decimal point?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
As with any vintage collectable, at the end of the spectrum prices will go up a lot for the rarer and more desirable pens. Scarcity, NOS-mintyness, and the like can drive up a price a lot from the standard range ... and then the uninitiated owner of a truly average item sees what the rare and minty sells for, and tries to sell his average item for a similar price ... and lord knows some uninitiated buyer comes along and buys it as often as not.

Just because someone can sell an old Superman comic book* for almost half a million dollars, doesn't mean that the dog-eared, torn and chocolate-milk-stained Superman comic book you have from the 1940s is worth more than a buck or two.

*Near-mint Action Comics #1 from 1938 ... the "first superman" ... sold for $440,000.

Top Bottom