What's new

Parker 26c vs Fatip Piccolo Aggression

Hi,

The title says it all - what's the aggresiveness of 26C compared to Piccolo Fatip?

+ What's the thread on the head on a parker 3piece made of? I'm afraid it will corrode like my EJ.

I cannot compare the Parker to the Piccolo as I have not used the Fatip. I do have a Parker 24C which has the same head as the black handled 26C. I consider it to be a very efficient razor...some would say aggressive. However, even though I have sensitive skin, I do not have any issues with the razor as long as I set the proper shave angle and use a high quality soap. I find that holding the razor handle at about 45 degrees to your face allows the blade to slice through the beard efficiently without irritation. If you drop the angle down to 30 degrees, you will be scraping off skin cells along with your beard. I have several DE razors; this Parker is my favorite.

I do not have a Muhle R41, but I think they have similar head designs to the Parker open comb.

There is a thread here. Also a video on youtube by Brad Maggard. The top plate on the new MK2 is wider and that makes it a mild razor.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
The wider cap on the Fatip Mk2 along with a forward clamping baseplate and cap design hold the blade rigid. This makes for a smooth razor not mild. There is a difference. The new Fatips are highly efficient and smooth. The term aggressive usually relates to a razor with gap and a less rigid blade design. The blade clamps further back on the baseplate and cap on a less rigid design. Aggressiveness is usually not your friend and due to poor design imo.

The Fatip Piccolo is more aggressive than the Parker 26 for sure. It has more blade exposure. But the Fatip is a very smooth shaver. If you have your technique down right the Fatip Piccolo & the Grande are very smooth shavers.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I cant speak to Parker razors as I've not used one.

The Mk.1 Fatip cap is 18mm wide. The Mk.2 cap is 19mm wide and the new Piccolo Special Edition seems to have a cap width of 19.6mm.

I wouldnt call my Mk.2 Grande aggressive at all, it is however incredibly smooth. My R41 is aggressive and not what I'd call smooth, yet the both have similar blade exposure.

I'm really not sure any other DE could be compared to a Fatip, none I've used could be. I've never used a smoother more efficient DE. Mine can go from being as mild as a post war Tech to being nearly as efficient as my MMOC, all in the space of a ~10° change in handle angle and adjusting pressure.

If you want something a little more user friendly than a Fatip OC, try a Gentile. The Schone is another alternative and its said to be quite mild and forgiving while still being efficient. All are solid Brass.

If you have your technique down right the Fatip Piccolo & the Grande are very smooth shavers.

As Ron said above, its all in the technique and how you use them. As shallow as I use my Grande, its as mild as my post war Tech and 5 times as efficient. Its all in the angle of use and pressure applied.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I cant speak to Parker razors as I've not used one.

The Mk.1 Fatip cap is 18mm wide. The Mk.2 cap is 19mm wide and the new Piccolo Special Edition seems to have a cap width of 19.6mm.

I wouldnt call my Mk.2 Grande aggressive at all, it is however incredibly smooth. My R41 is aggressive and not what I'd call smooth, yet the both have similar blade exposure.

I'm really not sure any other DE could be compared to a Fatip, none I've used could be. I've never used a smoother more efficient DE. Mine can go from being as mild as a post war Tech to being nearly as efficient as my MMOC, all in the space of a ~10° change in handle angle and adjusting pressure.

If you want something a little more user friendly than a Fatip OC, try a Gentile. The Schone is another alternative and its said to be quite mild and forgiving while still being efficient. All are solid Brass.

As Ron said above, its all in the technique and how you use them. As shallow as I use my Grande, its as mild as my post war Tech and 5 times as efficient. Its all in the angle of use and pressure applied.
My Piccolo Special Edition has a 19mm cap. Fatip tolerances, as good as they are, can be "special". :001_tongu

I can speak to the 26c vs. the current Piccolo head and the Piccolo is far more aggressive. While both are very smooth shavers for me, the 26c is very mild.

M

Member 113878

+1
I gave another try to my Piccolo (a special edition with 19.6mm cap) this morning and, while smooth, it's extremely efficient and I ended with some blood on the neck at a few places.
This is way too much for me.
The Testina Gentile is less agressive.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
+1
I gave another try to my Piccolo (a special edition with 19.6mm cap) this morning and, while smooth, it's extremely efficient and I ended with some blood on the neck at a few places.
This is way too much for me.
The Testina Gentile is less agressive.

A change in angle may solve that completely.

If I use my Grande steep over the swirls on my neck I'll have weepers too, but if I shallow the angle out as much as I can, I wont have any.

This is the nice thing about Fatip design and geometry, its all in the angle of use. Simply by tilting the handle slightly, I can go from "Wheres the blade?" to "HOLY CRAP!". Get the angle just right and the blade disappears, but it takes a lot of practice to maintain that very fine angle throughout a shave. Its easy for me to fall into the habit of letting the angle steepen a lot by the time I get to my neck shaving N-S. When I do I instantly feel the blade tug and I adjust my grip and angle.

M

Member 113878

Thanks for the advice Mike.
I have a soft, rather scarce beard, so a milder razor, which don’t need too much attention, is the best for me.
Merkur 34C and DE 89 heads are perfect for me.
I do two passes only, shave everyday, and don’t need BBS to be happy.
CCS is ok with me. :)

A Piccolo SE (open comb plate) has been my daily driver for the last couple weeks. I prefer it with a broken-in blade. My first couple shaves with a new blade leaves a few weepers, but after that, it settles down nicely and shaves close with the same blade for a long time. I started with an Astra SP and got more than 2 weeks on it, then changed blades to a Rapira Platinum Lux yesterday.

Top Bottom