What's new

Parker 22R maintenance issues

I have a six month old 22R which actually did fairly well until a few days ago when the silo doors hung up on me. I managed to disassemble it and cleaned and oiled it although it didn't seem to really need. My problem arose when I tries to reassemble it. The only way to get the silo doors to sit flat on the blade bed is to leave the tail of the handle loose on the stem. The problem arises when I open the doors-that action seems to release the head from the handle and I have to fiddle with it all over again just to get the new blade in. Does anyone have any experience with this issue on Parker TTO's? I can't find anything on the net about Parker repairs or maintenance or even a Parker company website.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
A picture is worth a thousand words my friend. If the Parker is anything like a gillette TTO I may be able to help.

I don't have much good to say about the 22r...it was my first de...the build quality sucked, it had major blade alignment issues...I quickly moved on.

Thank you everybody for your input. I will have to teach myself how to do the photo thing. I can tell you the razor still looks brand new. The head of the razor has a long rod attached which has a very narrow diameter and very shallow threads which passes through the blade bed into the handle. The handle is in two parts-the top part appears to be just a hollow barrell and the bottom part receives the rod into a female thread. After I assemble the razor and try to open the silo doors, I disengage the rod from the lower handle totally separating the silo doors from the from the handle.

I don't know if there is something wrong with the razor or if I am technologically challenged. Your thoughts are appreciated. Thank you.

Well, I can't offer any assistance but I do thank you. Yours is the last straw on the camel's back of potential Parker ownership.

Apparently, they do not want to get it together in terms of QC at that factory. And to any and all who will post about how pleased they are with the quality and performance of whichever Parker they own and operate, I wish you a hearty "Mazel tov!" You are in what is clearly a minority. How does Parker keep making sales? It seems amazing. No, really.

Because some people like me have never had a problem with them at all, it was my first razor and I loved it.

Mazel tov! Use it only in good health! :001_smile

They have corrected alot of there problems but it just depends on if you get one from an older production line i guess. people always cut down there tto's, but then there are those who really love them also. only problem i have ever had is when i first started using it i would accidentally open the gate. Once you do it twice you will remember to keep your hand still on the handle and away from the twist.

Only problem i have ever had is when i first started using it i would accidentally open the gate. Once you do it twice you will remember to keep your hand still on the handle and away from the twist.

Man, I hate that! :angry: It happened once in my first coupla weeks with my Feather Popular and one or two other times with my Weishi. Yipe!

Man, I hate that! :angry: It happened once in my first coupla weeks with my Feather Popular and one or two other times with my Weishi. Yipe!

Yep that is how i recieve my first cut with a de. My other cuts came from touching the side of the blade to my face when i was changing sides,when using gillette razors.

Yep that is how I received my first cut with a DE. My other cuts came from touching the side of the blade to my face when i was changing sides,when using Gillette razors.

I lurve my SS. If it was a bit heftier/longer-handled it would be #1 in my arsenal.

What annoys me about Parker is that they are attractively styled. But these problems they have are frustrating to me. I just don't want to play mail-order "Hot Potato" till I get a good specimen. My Feather Pop is inexpensive and is well-made. Parker is just not ready to sell to me yet.

I lurve my SS. If it was a bit heftier/longer-handled it would be #1 in my arsenal.

What annoys me about Parker is that they are attractively styled. But these problems they have are frustrating to me. I just don't want to play mail-order "Hot Potato" till I get a good specimen. My Feather Pop is inexpensive and is well-made. Parker is just not ready to sell to me yet.
exactly your choice ymmv and honestly i bought mine i think before i joined here or right after. so i had not heard anything neg about them or i also might have been hesitant

exactly your choice ymmv and honestly i bought mine i think before i joined here or right after. so i had not heard anything neg about them or i also might have been hesitant

Y'know, there's plenty of good information to be had in places like this. It's a great thing to be able to go back-and-forth with lessons learned and a heads-up for news that's important just to us. Not many people give a rap for what DE blades are available, where to get them, how to deal with hard water and various soap brands, and all the addenda involved. Here, I speak the lingo and am happy to help as I have been helped.

Hooray for every one of us, from Toronto to Tel Aviv, Manchester to Minneapolis, and Vientiane to Vienna!

Sorry
The best advise I can give is to do what I did with my Parker...
Put it out of its misery. It was very theraputic hearing the metal brake when I crushed it in a vise.

Yer puttin' us on!? :blink:

No I'm not. I had so many issues with it (defective doesn’t seem to begin to cover it) and I waited to long to try to return it. It was the first DE I acquired and I kept thinking " I just need to improve my technique"- as I ript skin off of face:thumbdown. Therefore I eventually "retired" it:biggrin1:

No I'm not. I had so many issues with it (defective doesn’t seem to begin to cover it) and I waited to long to try to return it. It was the first DE I acquired and I kept thinking " I just need to improve my technique"- as I ripped skin off of face:thumbdown. Therefore I eventually "retired" it:biggrin1:

Retired with extreme prejudice, I see. Well, if it felt good it was worth that much! :biggrin1:

Top Bottom