What's new

Paring the collection down!

Pleased to say I only have one razor left! Gillette New with a ball end handle....I still have 4 brushes....1 badger, 2 synthetic, and 1 boar. Those are harder to work through, and my wife uses one of the synthetics with Nancy Boy cream so that is an easy one to keep.

I have worked my way through a tub of Mystic Waters, working on a tub of Stirling (in which I have reached the ring of death and will be finished with it sometime in July)...leaving me a tub of Pre de Provence, WSP, Mikes and B and M to work through; and roughly 4 bottles of aftershave. Nice to be unencumbered by mounds of crap and down to the nitty gritty...shaving still occupies a fair amount of space (a bathroom drawer and a small wall shelf..the stuff in on deck and the stuff in the batter's box).

Anyone else in process of paring the collection down?

Yep, trying to decide what's going to stay (even as a couple of new products found their way into the house) and what's going into a box for PIF or donation.

Good man!! You should join the B+B ‘minimalists.’ :a29::a29:

I cut down to three razors and ‘only’ nine brushes! Still have a ton of blade, soap and AS options!

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
No, not for me just yet. I have to downsize other departments such as clothes, furniture and general junk. Shaving gear is the last on the list.

I’ve considered paring down the den many times, but most all of them are so nice that it’s difficult to decide what stays and what goes.

I'm picking out razor stuff to get rid of right now.
I would keep it all, but I need the money more. Made too many impulse purchases over the last year. Straights, safety razors, and a few hones. Trying to get the straights shave ready first though.

I have 3 brushes, but really only use one. Keeping the other 2 because one is my first brush and the other was a gift. Have two tubs of soap (one almost empty), half a tube of proraso, some samples, and bottle of Thayers, so my software is far from hoarding!

I got rid of a lot of 'stuff' around the house when I moved last December, but I'm sure there is plenty of stuff I could live without. Need to have less stuff to box up next time I move!

I’ve considered paring down the den many times, but most all of them are so nice that it’s difficult to decide what stays and what goes.
Jim99 . . .
the-claw-decides-who-stays-and-who-goes.jpg

At one time I had 35 razors. I have gotten down to 18. I sold off all my injectors, two slants, a Toggle, and a few SE razors. However, my brush and soap collection has increased.

I sometimes think about paring down my razor supply. I don't know how many I have without going and counting them. Certainly in excess of 30 with DE and SE considered. Right now, I can't think of one that I could pick up and not enjoy. With most of them, I also remember the story of where and when I bought them. Some do not get into rotation very often, but when I use them, I like them. I have 5 brushes and I know what ones I like best and am likely to use ( more of a fan of boar now and alternate between Omega and SOC). Soaps are not something that I have bought a lot of. For me, I have the space, I did not spend big money on anything, and I enjoy all of them when I use them. There may come the day when I have a compelling reason to reduce but for now, I like them all and it works for me.

I sometimes think about paring down my razor supply. I don't know how many I have without going and counting them. Certainly in excess of 30 with DE and SE considered. Right now, I can't think of one that I could pick up and not enjoy. With most of them, I also remember the story of where and when I bought them. Some do not get into rotation very often, but when I use them, I like them. I have 5 brushes and I know what ones I like best and am likely to use ( more of a fan of boar now and alternate between Omega and SOC). Soaps are not something that I have bought a lot of. For me, I have the space, I did not spend big money on anything, and I enjoy all of them when I use them. There may come the day when I have a compelling reason to reduce but for now, I like them all and it works for me.
That’s the problem I have. I enjoy all my razors and each has a place in razor history. Each one brings me back to a different era and they all give great shaves.

Pare down the den? Ouch!

Top Bottom