What's new

Parfum de Marly

I'm curious about these scents after hearing about them. Anyone use them? Recommendations? I ask because I've recently had experiences where I try some that are supposed to be for men or unisex but are very feminine smelling to me. Krigler is an example. Very expensive but they do sell samples (which are also expensive). A few that were listed for men were way too feminine smelling for me.

My first contact with PdM was a sample of Layton and, like you, at first I found it very feminine. The sweetness just drowned everything else. I still kept the sample. I'd spray it from time to time, trying to understand it better. And eventually it clicked, I finally got the whole picture in focus, the crisp apple in the opening, the spices, the sandalwood. I don't know what changed, if the sample matured or if my nose got used to it, but I loved it so much I got a full bottle.

And that's the only success story I have with PdM. I also tried Carlisle, Galloway and Sedley. The last 2 are not bad, but way too simple and bland for the price they go for. Carlisle was just too rich, and I found out I'm not a fan of nutmeg at all.

So yeah, as a house, they seem to be generally overhyped, despite having produced a few legit heavy hitters. They get away with stupid prices. And something about their marketing rubs me the wrong way. Every aspect of their packaging suggests that they've been around for hundreds of years and have been making perfumes for royalty etc. But then you find out they're just paying homage to that era of perfumery. So they just basically took the name of a french castle, picked some year in the 1700s, designed a coat of arms and threw all of that on the bottles. They're not lying about any of it, but it's still slightly misleading and shady.

So there you go. In conclusion, Layton is really good for fall and winter, if you can stand the sweetness and you give it enough time to reveal itself.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I’ve had similar experiences with fragrances, initially not caring for them, sit them on a shelf for a month or three, then try them again and discover that I like them much better. I’m assuming that the juice isn’t changing, so that means that I changed.

I’ve had similar experiences with fragrances, initially not caring for them, sit them on a shelf for a month or three, then try them again and discover that I like them much better. I’m assuming that the juice isn’t changing, so that means that I changed.
I’m also convinced there are a bunch of factors we rarely take into consideration. The weather, what we’ve been eating, etc. I’ve noticed I tend to really appreciate the complexity of sweeter fragrances when I have been eating sweeter things. You kinda get immune to the sweetness blast and become able to look past it.

Herod is a wonderful tobacco fragrance that can be worn in virtually any setting in cooler weather. Carlisle is a gourmand that's best for evening in cold weather. I get compliments every time I wear it. Sedley is a freshie; crisp and minty without any toothpaste vibe. It's nice in warm weather.

All PdMs that I've tried have a characteristic dark woody drydown, are long lasting, and non-linear. They do best with their cooler/colder weather fragrances IMHO.

Herod might be their most popular and safest bet if you want to get into the house. Layton might also be their most popular but sometimes I don't get it. Other times I do. I can't explain it. Maybe it's the lavender.

Fantastic scents but crazy expensive. Generally very strong and long lasting.

I personally really like Layton, Pegasus, Godolphin and Herod.

I am not really a clone guy, but there are many very good PdM clones out there if you want to try The PdM style without breaking the bank. Al Haramain Detour Noir EDP (Layton) and Armaf Craze (PdM Pegasus) are both excellent (and very close in scent) if you can get past the awful bottles.

IMG_0481.jpeg

Layton is my go-to, but Pegasus might be my next purchase.

Layton Exclusif is a significant improvement over regular Layton. Herod, sadly, doesn't last as long and there are other similar scents that I would probably go for first. My favorite from PdM so far, though, has to be Haltane. Mass appeal without losing depth or complexity.

Top Bottom