What's new

Paranoid much?

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
So I live in a middle class older neighborhood; a 55 and over community in an area of the country that is basically one of the lower expense Winter Texan and retiree population centers. We are definitely NOT Sea Pines or Martha's Vineyard or Malibu or Monterey (though we are about 150 miles from Monterrey Mexico). The most recent crime statistics I've seen for the area showed violent crime at way below the State and National average and property crime right about the same as the State and National average.

And so ...

three times over the last month I've seen a vehicle slowly drive by, a couple times stopping and even backing up slightly, and taking pictures of my house. All have been daytime/work hours drivebys and my car has been in the garage so it would have seemed unoccupied.

The vehicles I've seen have all been fairly new low end "corporate" level cars. Nothing fancy, twice a pickup and once a 4 door sedan. All have had some logo or labeling on the side but in each case either worn (more than the overall car) or with part covered by mud or what looked like mud and so not really identifiable. I have not seen any recognizable names but each has had something readable. One was something meter something, one was something servic something and the sedan 24/7 365 cal something. One pickup had a driver with the passenger taking pictures, the other pickup was white male driver stopping and taking the picture and the sedan was a middle aged lady driving and also taking the pictures. She stopped, took pictures and actually backed up to take more pictures. None were in front of my house more than 30 seconds.

All left immediately and I have not seen them in the area again. None seemed to take pictures of other homes. None of the homes on my street are currently for sale although as a Old Farts community we do have a higher turnover rate than some neighborhoods.

Strange.

They might be real estate appraisers or realtors looking for comparable properties to one under consideration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I have been on numerous suspicious persons calls just like this over the years. It sounds to me, like they are taking pictures for an residential real estate appraisal firm. They are probably, doing appraisal's of other homes in the neighborhood, using your home as a comparable sale.

Have you lived there less then a year? If so, this is what it most likely is. If their not knocking on your door, for long periods of time and walking around your house attempting to see if anyone is home or not, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I have been on numerous suspicious persons calls just like this over the years. It sounds to me, like they are taking pictures for an residential real estate appraisal firm. They are probably, doing appraisal's of other homes in the neighborhood, using your home as a comparable sale.

Have you lived there less then a year? If so, this is what it most likely is. If their not knocking on your door, for long periods of time and walking around your house attempting to see if anyone is home or not, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Lived here over fifteen years now.

OkieStubble

Lived here over fifteen years now.

Probably still appraisers using your house for the standard market value for other homes in your area. If it were me, I would do two things. 1. Take it as a compliment and 2. Call your local police next time you see them and have them check it out. The police don't mind and it will give you peace of mind.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
My first thought was like others...real estate agents. Maybe due to different cars. Bandits don't take that much trouble...usually.

Probably still appraisers using your house for the standard market value for other homes in your area. If it were me, I would do two things. 1. Take it as a compliment and 2. Call your local police next time you see them and have them check it out. The police don't mind and it will give you peace of mind.

^^^What he said.

Paranoid? No, realistic. Stuff happens anywhere at anytime.

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't really out to get you! My wife is from Happy Valley, U.S.A., while was raised in New Jersey. We have different views on security needs and different states of awareness that I am sure come largely from where and how we were raised. However, I have also wondered from time to time if there is somehow a built in (genetic? stable personality trait?) difference in sensitivity to suspicious circumstances.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Very bad private detectives?

Or very bad D.A. investigators that go by the P.I.'s for the defense attorney and get caught both times taking pictures of their houses and cars. Happened to me and another P.I. within two days on the same case. And we both live out in the country, which makes traffic going by more noticeable...especially when it stops.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Run out and take pictures of them when you see them!
The three times I noticed them there was not enough time to do anything. They were never here more than 30 seconds and I am one house away from a corner. I could not have even gotten to my camera or my cell phone between when I noticed them and they were gone. These were all literal drive bys, take maybe three or four shots and then gone.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Has your mortgage (if you have one) been sold to another company? Or have you switched home owners insurance? I’ve had insurance reps not only take pics of my house but one actually went into my back yard after knocking on the door. I was working nights and didn’t answer the knock. She looked like she was going to S*** herself when I let my 130lb dog into the backyard. He’s harmless, but sounds and looks mean until he tries to kill you by licking. From what I understand, some companies want pics of properties and some don’t care.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Has your mortgage (if you have one) been sold to another company? Or have you switched home owners insurance? I’ve had insurance reps not only take pics of my house but one actually went into my back yard after knocking on the door. I was working nights and didn’t answer the knock. She looked like she was going to S*** herself when I let my 130lb dog into the backyard. He’s harmless, but sounds and looks mean until he tries to kill you by licking. From what I understand, some companies want pics of properties and some don’t care.
Nope, mortgage and insurance still with the same company for about a decade I guess. Also it's long past annual county appraisal time. No new additions or revisions to the property.

Or very bad D.A. investigators that go by the P.I.'s for the defense attorney and get caught both times taking pictures of their houses and cars. Happened to me and another P.I. within two days on the same case. And we both live out in the country, which makes traffic going by more noticeable...especially when it stops.

Sloppy work on their part.

Our gas and electric meters here are read remotely; it could be that in your case they have to slow down in order to zero in on your meters' transponders.

Could also be county assessors/zoning inspectors making sure that no un-permitted work is going on, although they usually do satellite snooping for that kind of thing if they do it at all.

Call the police and file a report. Others may be complaining about the same thing. They might know what’s going on.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Call the police and file a report. Others may be complaining about the same thing. They might know what’s going on.

Yup, cops love these types of calls...they don't have to answer other calls while they are tied up on that simple one. Unless it's a major call then you can wait.

Try to get tag numbers...get some binoculars...and I can run it for you. Well, it would be better if the P.D. does it.

You are in Texas so it's legal to take pictures in a public place. But...call it in as a suspicious vehicle. Which it is. But I doubt the P.D. would get there in time so if you can get a tag....

OkieStubble

Yup, cops love these types of calls...they don't have to answer other calls while they are tied up on that simple one. Unless it's a major call then you can wait.

Try to get tag numbers...get some binoculars...and I can run it for you. Well, it would be better if the P.D. does it.

You are in Texas so it's legal to take pictures in a public place. But...call it in as a suspicious vehicle. Which it is. But I doubt the P.D. would get there in time so if you can get a tag....

Tell them you thought the camera looked like a gun. :)

Top Bottom