What's new

Paradigm Titanium DE Razor.... $395!!??

If the product is as clean as the pics, its a well executed piece, with fairly intricate detail, in a hard-to-work metal.

Having said that, yeah, that's quite an entry-level jump. Very reminiscent of the pre-/war-era Merkur & miscellaneous no-names. Unfortunately, that's as much a killer for me as the price. I'm going to liquidate a large portion of my vintage collection and am thinking of getting a couple of the modern higher-end offerings. At the moment, that's the B&R adjustable, Rex adjustable, possibly an RX...

That is why I respect Rockwell razors even more, I don't own one but I want to get another stainless steel razor and would likely get the Rockwell from reviews I have read, I was fortunate to be able to get a Wolfman razor when it was $125 for the head $75 for the handle before the prices was raised and it is Canadian $ .

I wish more companies would come out with stainless steel razors like Rockwell with a reasonable price and good quality, while its not a 316L like the Wolfman nor is it titanium I would think it would last a lifetime or more.

I would love to own a titanium razor one day but at $395 I'll pass too.

I wish someone would make a stainless steel version of the Gillette "NEW" short comb or even the chrome plated one's like like the EJ, Muhle, Merkur with a $30 to $40 price point.

The Fendrihan MK II should come close to this for you. Fully stainless, $40.

People pay more that that for a half worn out Gillette toggle (a second tier shaver IMO), so for a short run custom razor in a hard to work material the price seems fair to me. Generally I find that weight is a good thing in a razor so Ti is not an obvious choice, at least it shouldn't corrode like aluminum or pot metal. Not my personal choice of razor but I'm glad to see some innovation.

People pay more that that for a half worn out Gillette toggle (a second tier shaver IMO), so for a short run custom razor in a hard to work material the price seems fair to me. Generally I find that weight is a good thing in a razor so Ti is not an obvious choice, at least it shouldn't corrode like aluminum or pot metal. Not my personal choice of razor but I'm glad to see some innovation.
Point well taken.....

Kind of looks like a Merkur 1904 handle and a Gillette RFB head (without the OC). For that much money I would have thought they come up with something new, but it is titanium. I could buy both the ATT and Blackland SE Gem blade razors for that price.
I thought this as well. Something more original and might be able to justify charging that much.

Reminds me that I have a titanium cro-bar around someplace. Was around 30.00 in early 90's. Was from Russian tank kit. Non sparking for work in explosive environments.

Worked as a machinist for a while, and know it eats tooling 10 times faster than stainless. Cause for a premium, but this is looking like unabashed greed.
There's also the fun bit where it can go up in flames.

Titanium is superb in some applications, where light weight, strength and corrosion resistance are key factors, as in some climbing and cycling gear. However, I just don't see why it's especially appropriate for a DE razor. The same precision and longevity can be achieved with stainless steel or brass, which are heavier and so give a razor most users will probably prefer the feel of. Any who do like light razors can go for aluminium or plastic.

Titanium is superb in some applications, where light weight, strength and corrosion resistance are key factors, as in some climbing and cycling gear. However, I just don't see why it's especially appropriate for a DE razor. The same precision and longevity can be achieved with stainless steel or brass, which are heavier and so give a razor most users will probably prefer the feel of. Any who do like light razors can go for aluminium or plastic.
Yes, I agree re cycling gear. Though even there, titanium is generally too expensive (for me, anyway). I do have a couple of classic Selle Italia Flite saddles with titanium rails. I notice the pro racers now tend to use carbon fiber bikes though no doubt with some titanium components. So I guess the next step is carbon fiber razors.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Completely understand. But here is my thing. I work in the aerospace industry where I see, cut and prepare certain exotic metals and high end alloys for that particular industry. Titanium, light weight, excellent anti-corrosion properties and heat capabilities. But for a razor? Down right overkill if you ask me. And for a company to throw out their first razor at this price point with no brand awareness or very minimal at best (Paradigm Shave Ware based out of Long Island, NY) is just shocking to me. I have some high end shave items, and many of us do. But, really? Wolfman razors came out with their works of art with pricing that was at least manageable in the beginning then steadily increased their pricing as demand grew. And even then it wasn't cheap. Maybe their shooting for the Uber high end razor market, I don't know. Just a little overboard for me....

Excellent exposition of this situation.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I used to have a razor made of solid lithium. It was very nice and incredibly light, but I accidently dropped it a sink full of water and then couldn't find it.

I can keep this up as long as you want.

Since we are all into exotics, I'd like mine made of Tantalum.... only hydrofluoric acid can best this stuff. A razor for millennia to come.

I certainly would not pay that kind of money for a razor. I started DE shaving Jan of last year and have spent some money on some vintage razors of which I even gave and sold a couple to my friend and got him started. I even went overboard on soaps, AS's, a few vintage OS mugs and even went as far as buying a re-plated in gold Slim in my birth year at the cost of $125(which is about my limit on what I would spend on a nice razor). But there is no way I would spend 3 times that for a razor. It only looks okay to me but at close to $400 that is just insane to me. The AS-D2 is a more appealing razor to me and in my book that one is even overpriced. I even have my eye on a gold plated Futur and that is well under $100 and I just can't pull the trigger on it, but that might be because I love the Slim and just can't see have another adjustable. I even have a couple Techs and a OC that are feeling quite lonely.

Top Bottom