What's new

Paradigm SE: A Review

I have spent the last month using the Paradigm SE razor, with about twenty shaves under my belt, so my thoughts regarding this razor come from some decent usage. I will break down the review into categories in order to keep my thoughts in order. The tldr; version of this review is at the very bottom.

Appearance

The razor is made of Titanium and buffed to a high gloss, mirror like finish. The shape of the razor isn’t entirely unique, as it does share style designs from other razors (some even compare the design to carts), but to me its design does stand out among the pack. It is unique, and I really like how it looks.

Assembly Design

The top cap slides on, using ball detents to keep the top cap in place. This is a unique design, and time will tell how long the ball detents will last. I have had zero issues with it so far, and I don’t expect to have issues with it in the future.

Feel

The razor doesn’t have much in the way of knurling, but the razor feels great in the hand and not at all slippery when wet. I have had zero issues with grip on the razor during my shaves.

The razor also feels light. Not as light as my Schick injector, and not as heavy as my SS Timeless, but somewhere in between the two. For me the weight is perfect, and I do not have to add extra pressure to get a close shave like some have mentioned they have to do with their Titanium Timeless razors.

The razor feels buttery smooth on my face. No other razors that I have ever owned or used comes anywhere near the level of comfort and smoothness this razor offers. It is truly incredible how smooth this razor feels. If you could convert cutting butter with a hot knife into a feeling, that is what it would feel like. Really incredible.

The Shave

The first shave I had with this razor, using Feather Pro’s, I told myself that the shave was good but not $400 good. My second shave, though, completely flipped that idea on its head.

The second shave is where I realized the potential this razor offers. For the first time I received a truly, 100% blood and irritation free BBS shave. I have come close with my Timeless .95 OC razor, but the Paradigm SE does better. My neck hair is a problem area, but this razor knocks my neck hair down with complete ease and comfort. I was surprised by this, and even more so that I was able to achieve this result every day with no “irritation build up.”

Efficiency

The only thing that will keep me from giving this razor a 10/10 score is its efficiency. Shaving two or three days worth of growth is no problem at all. Very efficient, very smooth.

Day two and onward, though, is where the only flaw in this razor shows itself. Certain areas on my face require too many touch ups in order to achieve the level of closeness I am looking for. Razors such as The General, Gamechanger and Timeless can knock down the hair on those areas in two passes, but the Paradigm struggles in its efficiency, requiring three or more passes to get the job done. The area in question: the hair on each side of my chin - the goatee area.

Final verdict

I initially borrowed this razor with an option to buy it if I wanted to. I now own it, and that could be enough of a review in and of itself since the razor is nearly $400. I have no regrets about purchasing the Paradigm SE, none at all. It is smooth, comfortable and looks phenomenal. The only thing I wish this razor had, assuming the comfort and smoothness remain unchanged, is a slight bump in efficiency.

Has it cured my RAD? Not entirely. I still want to try a Blackland Vector for comparison since it is supposed to be a bit more efficient while still remaining comfortable. If the Paradigm SE more efficient, my answer would be yes because it kills the competition in every other category.

tldr: although the Paradigm SE is a winner in every way, its slight lack of efficiency only allows me to rate it a 9/10.

Perhaps the lack of effectiveness contributes to your experience of no irritation and blood loss. Nice review and congratulations. :)

Perhaps the lack of effectiveness contributes to your experience of no irritation and blood loss. Nice review and congratulations. :)

You make a good point, and this is something I considered myself. To help answer that question for myself, after using the Paradigm for a while I did buy The General in stainless steel and the Hawk in aluminum for comparison purposes. Although this is by no means a good enough sample size for a clear comparison, using these two razors do confirm the small bit of inefficiency I find in the Paradigm SE.

I’m glad you enjoyed it. I just can’t get my head past the aesthetics of it. It is not at all visually appealing to me. There’s the cost too, but...that’s a given.

Try the feather pro super, they increase the efficiency of the paradigm se a tiny bit while still being very smooth shave.

I like the way it looks. It stands out from the crowd. The gooseneck design is functional as well. It's the most comfortable shaver in my collection.

I’m glad you enjoyed it. I just can’t get my head past the aesthetics of it. It is not at all visually appealing to me. There’s the cost too, but...that’s a given.

I hear you on the cost, believe me. What it came down to, though, was that when it was time to return the razor to its owner I simply couldn't do it. The razor performs so well I didn't want to miss out on the shaves I get from it.

At that point I knew I was going to buy it. No regrets.

Great Razor !!!

I have a Timeless master kit, Blackland Blackbird, Karve. All are good. But the Paradigm SE was a great surprise to me.

I am only a head and neck shaver and never wanted to think about going down the SE route as I only wanted the DE. I got in touch with Andy at Paradigm to ask about when he was going to commission a batch of Titanium 2 DE razors. He said he disn’t Know, but should have a look at the new SE they were about to launch.

I said that I didn’t really want SE but he said it would be worth getting.

I ended up getting one based on his say so and I am sooooo glad I did - I haven’t looked back

I would highly recommend this razor !!

It is the best razor for daily use.
I am using these razor 5 days per week.
No irritations, always BBS.
My #1

I used mine yesterday for only the third time. Got a great shave with a Feather Pro. I am typically a DE guy and was very impressed by how well the more rigid blade cleared the stubble off my neck without any irritation. It is a great razor and super unique looking. I do have the new polished Blackland Vector en route and will post a little comparison as soon as it arrives.

proxy.php

I used mine yesterday for only the third time. Got a great shave with a Feather Pro. I am typically a DE guy and was very impressed by how well the more rigid blade cleared the stubble off my neck without any irritation. It is a great razor and super unique looking. I do have the new polished Blackland Vector en route and will post a little comparison as soon as it arrives.

proxy.php
I still really want to try the Vector.

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

I still really want to try the Vector.

I have both.
Imagine a rolls Royce vs Ferrari- both are excellent- like that both razors are fun to use.
Vector is by far the most maneuverable razor.
Paradigm gets there in style.

Both give very similar shave.
None gives as close a shave as Rs-10 does.

This one is back in use after moving through the rotation. It's a truly remarkable shaver. Just one smooth, comfortable pass after another. I think Andy did a real nice job.

I've been using the Paradigm SE almost exclusively since my OP, while occasionally throwing in the .84 Gamechanger for variety.

After more steady and consistent use I need to reevaluate my original review. The only area for improvement I discussed was in the razors efficiency. More time using the razor has allowed me to figure out how to achieve a close and extremely efficient shave.

I use a lighter touch and hold the razor at its center of gravity, using my fingers as a fulcrum to allow the razor to move to the contours of my face.

Only a slight modification to my technique allows me to rate this razor a 10 out of 10. It is just a superb razor and I am grateful to have one.

I still want to test out the Vector, but I can't imagine any other razor matching the Paradigm SE.

Top Bottom