What's new

Paradigm DE Comparison?

I was hoping someone could compare the smoothness and efficiency of the four Paradigm DE razors (the Titanium I and II, 17-4 and Diamondback). I have shaved with the Diamondback and really like the smoothness and efficiency and was very curious to hear how it compares to the other Paradigm razors. Thanks!

I am also interested in this. I have the Paradigm diamondback and the SE, so cannot unfortunately chime in on the comparison.

I had the Paradigm SE at one time. Very smooth but much much too mild. I needed another shave after a few hours...

I haven't used it in ~9 months due to an overflow of new razors, but had good results from the super I believe. Need to get back too it

Only one I have is the 17-4. Very smooth and gets the job done. I would not use it every day but enjoy it a couple of times a month.

For me I would rank efficiency as
Ti V1 > Diamondback > 17-4 > Ti V2
For smoothness it is the exact reverse but the difference in smoothness is not as large of a gap as the efficiency. My favorite is the Ti V1. The SE is the smoothest and with a Pro-line I would put it equal to the 17-4 in efficiency

@Shavemd just nailed it perfectly as I have used them all except the recent Diamondback. As Andy's releases are limited runs (think 200 or less) of Titanium (except 17-4 stainless) razors they are all exceptionally smooth - think Timeless Ti but with a lower profile head making the Paradigms very nimble and maneuverable. The 17-4 is smooth and comparable to the Raw Shaving RS10 whereas the other Ti versions have an almost "phantom/no blade feel". If you can find any of these very limited production Paradigms you will be pleased but expect to pay handsomely as they retailed for $395 and can go for twice that amount (17-4 was originally $230).

As I prefer more efficient DE razors the Ti1 (original limited run of 51 units) has, by far, been the best release with each version being slight less efficient yet they are all very smooth. Andy engineered them to be "less aggressive" as the wet shavers of the time complained these Paradigms were "too aggressive". Like @Dragonsbeard I would love for Andy to re release the Ti1 and even make a more efficient version. These razors can be compared in efficiency to a higher gap Wolfman (perhaps WR1 80-86 or WR2 135/125), Charcoal Goods L3 or R41 (2011). The Karve F or G plates may yield similar efficiencies but are no where near as smooth and the GC84 although smooth can't compare in efficiency. The closest readily available razors may be the Charcoal Goods Stainless (generation 2) L3 or Timeless (polished) Ti 95.

Best of luck AJ

Thanks to a very good friend I was able to do a side by side between the Javelin(which was the initial prototype of Paradigm’s new razor) and the Diamondback
Pre-Shave Hot Shower

Soap LASS Vanilla

Blade New PolSilver

Brush AP Gelousy

AS Burts Bees Balm

Appearance Both razors had a good quality feel and the fit was perfect as one would expect from Paradigm. Finish was good but not to the level I am used to seeing from razors at this price.

I did a side by side WTG, XTG and ATG. Both razors were smooth WTG and XTG like the 17-4 but ATG the Diamondback lost a little of its smoothness, not harsh, but not as smooth as the Javelin or the 17-4.

The Javelin gave me a very comfortable 3 pass BBS while the Diamondback required a little touchup on the jawline. It was a nice shave from both but I prefer My Ti Paradigm razors. If I didn’t own a Paradigm I would be very happy with the Diamondback but I think the Javelin prototype gave me a better shave. Unfortunately I need to send the Javelin back, I did enjoy trying it.
6FB148D2-260A-41D4-A2C3-66D01B7403EA.jpeg
75C552B6-E142-42DC-8627-36D760BD731D.jpeg

@Shavemd
Mark, do you think the extra buffing to polish the Diamondbacks and taking away the sharper lines took away some of the efficiency of the razor?

I think someone on DFS mentioned they shaved with the original that was sent to him and it was a good shave but when he sent it back to Andy to be polished up it came back with the softer edges and the shave changed which led him to selling the razor off as it just didn't shave well after it was polished up...

Thanks to a very good friend I was able to do a side by side between the Javelin(which was the initial prototype of Paradigm’s new razor) and the Diamondback
Pre-Shave Hot Shower

Soap LASS Vanilla

Blade New PolSilver

Brush AP Gelousy

AS Burts Bees Balm

Appearance Both razors had a good quality feel and the fit was perfect as one would expect from Paradigm. Finish was good but not to the level I am used to seeing from razors at this price.

I did a side by side WTG, XTG and ATG. Both razors were smooth WTG and XTG like the 17-4 but ATG the Diamondback lost a little of its smoothness, not harsh, but not as smooth as the Javelin or the 17-4.

The Javelin gave me a very comfortable 3 pass BBS while the Diamondback required a little touchup on the jawline. It was a nice shave from both but I prefer My Ti Paradigm razors. If I didn’t own a Paradigm I would be very happy with the Diamondback but I think the Javelin prototype gave me a better shave. Unfortunately I need to send the Javelin back, I did enjoy trying it.
View attachment 1044301View attachment 1044302
Thanks for the comparison. Very interesting to hear the results. I have a Titanium II arriving tomorrow, which I’m excited to try and compare with the Diamondback.

@Shavemd
Mark, do you think the extra buffing to polish the Diamondbacks and taking away the sharper lines took away some of the efficiency of the razor?

I think someone on DFS mentioned they shaved with the original that was sent to him and it was a good shave but when he sent it back to Andy to be polished up it came back with the softer edges and the shave changed which led him to selling the razor off as it just didn't shave well after it was polished up...
I definitely noticed the rounding of the edge lines on the baseplate, most likely from polishing. I dont know if it affected the shave. If you look at the pic of the Javelin vs Diamondback the design is definitely different both in height of the baseplate and how the top cap sits on the baseplate.

May I chime in? I have Diamondback and have used some razors in the past. It's allmost the most perfect razor out there but it had one shortcoming, a lack of feedback. Sometimes it's hard to find the right angle. But that lack of bladefeel also makes it the smoothest, most efficient razor for me. Almost impossible to cut oneself with. Its also heavy but perfectly balanced, doesn't accept Kai blades but with a Polsilver it's a golden combination.

Top Bottom