What's new

Paradigm DB2020: The Finest Shaving Razor?

I don't post original threads often, but thought my very limited experience with the most recent Paradigm offering was worthy of a post. I was quite fortunate to have landed on my Diamondback 2020 by way of Ebay this past week. I had sent out an inquiry to buy one secondhand on a couple of forums, but had not had success. So, on a whim, I went to the auction site. Lo and behold a Paradigm Diamondback with "minor cosmetic damage" had just been posted and was being offered below retail. The seller had a whopping ZERO sales on Ebay. I typically steer clear of this type of seller, but the name of the seller looked familiar. Let's just say the razor and seller had a very personal relationship, so I bought it.

When it arrived to me, I could not for the life of me find any "minor cosmetic damage", so I sent the seller a note. He pointed out a minor dent on the threading of the top cap. I would never have found the damage and it is not an issue. That was it. Otherwise, it was a new, in the box, never used DB2020. Lucky find.

I have only shaved twice with this razor, the first shave with one days growth and this morning on two days growth. Both days with the same Astra SP and Martin de Candre soap. The first shave was as smooth and efficient as I have ever experienced, but I never felt in control of the razor. The reason being, the handle is so smooth and polished, it lacks knurling that I enjoy in a handle. I was chatting about this with a very respected B&B member and he reminded me of the alum on the finger tip trick. For this morning's second shave, I lightly rubbed my shaving fingers on my alum block and PRESTO, VOILA, the clouds parted etc, the DB2020 was now in my complete control and in addition to as good a shave as I have ever experienced, the actual shaving experience matched the performance. Such a little thing, rubbing my shaving hand fingers on the alum block. I would now consider this the finest shaving razor I have enjoyed. The combination of efficiency and smoothness is quite amazing. I hope this continues with each future shave and is not just some residual hallucinogenic from my youth paying me a visit.

In parting, I have only used this razor twice with terrific results and amazingly it shaves better than my Wolfman, BBS1 and CG razors, which are the only modern razors I decided to keep. The DB2020 is NOT my favorite looking razor. Not even close. I like a variety in my razors, so I now have 9 1/2 that I will keep. It will be hard to not reach for the DB2020 for the foreseeable future.

There are multiple reasons for my post today... Don't give up searching for the miracle find. Be grateful for wonderful advice you can find on B&B. MdC soap is amazing. Astra SP are a great blade to test any new razor you acquire. YMMV is real. And last but not least...

Happy Father's Day to all you Dads out there.

IMG_5414.jpeg

I agree, the DB 2020 is an amazing razor. I wish Andy would make more. I know multiple people who want one. I’m lucky I ordered when I did. I think I got one of the last before they were sold out.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I don't post original threads often, but thought my very limited experience with the most recent Paradigm offering was worthy of a post. I was quite fortunate to have landed on my Diamondback 2020 by way of Ebay this past week. I had sent out an inquiry to buy one secondhand on a couple of forums, but had not had success. So, on a whim, I went to the auction site. Lo and behold a Paradigm Diamondback with "minor cosmetic damage" had just been posted and was being offered below retail. The seller had a whopping ZERO sales on Ebay. I typically steer clear of this type of seller, but the name of the seller looked familiar. Let's just say the razor and seller had a very personal relationship, so I bought it.

When it arrived to me, I could not for the life of me find any "minor cosmetic damage", so I sent the seller a note. He pointed out a minor dent on the threading of the top cap. I would never have found the damage and it is not an issue. That was it. Otherwise, it was a new, in the box, never used DB2020. Lucky find.

I have only shaved twice with this razor, the first shave with one days growth and this morning on two days growth. Both days with the same Astra SP and Martin de Candre soap. The first shave was as smooth and efficient as I have ever experienced, but I never felt in control of the razor. The reason being, the handle is so smooth and polished, it lacks knurling that I enjoy in a handle. I was chatting about this with a very respected B&B member and he reminded me of the alum on the finger tip trick. For this morning's second shave, I lightly rubbed my shaving fingers on my alum block and PRESTO, VOILA, the clouds parted etc, the DB2020 was now in my complete control and in addition to as good a shave as I have ever experienced, the actual shaving experience matched the performance. Such a little thing, rubbing my shaving hand fingers on the alum block. I would now consider this the finest shaving razor I have enjoyed. The combination of efficiency and smoothness is quite amazing. I hope this continues with each future shave and is not just some residual hallucinogenic from my youth paying me a visit.

In parting, I have only used this razor twice with terrific results and amazingly it shaves better than my Wolfman, BBS1 and CG razors, which are the only modern razors I decided to keep. The DB2020 is NOT my favorite looking razor. Not even close. I like a variety in my razors, so I now have 9 1/2 that I will keep. It will be hard to not reach for the DB2020 for the foreseeable future.

There are multiple reasons for my post today... Don't give up searching for the miracle find. Be grateful for wonderful advice you can find on B&B. MdC soap is amazing. Astra SP are a great blade to test any new razor you acquire. YMMV is real. And last but not least...

View attachment 1115924
That’s awesome, Tom! Happy you’ve found such a gem!!

Happy Father’s Day, my friend.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

View attachment 1115924
I am very happy for you. Finding a razor that checks all the right boxes is a very special event. :)

Happy Father's Day, Tom! :)

I am very happy for you. Finding a razor that checks all the right boxes is a very special event. :)

Happy Father's Day, Tom! :)
David, I hope your Father's Day was a great one as well!

Funny thing about this DB2020, I still do not like the handle. I like knurling on my handle, but the shave itself is quite extraordinary. So, what's a guy to do? Maybe find another handle, live with the one it came with, sell the razor and find something new to play with? It's fun to have these decisions to make. :thumbup:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

Funny thing about this DB2020, I still do not like the handle. I like knurling on my handle, but the shave itself is quite extraordinary. So, what's a guy to do? Maybe find another handle, live with the one it came with, sell the razor and find something new to play with? It's fun to have these decisions to make. :thumbup:

Thank you, my friend. Had a wonderful Father's Day.

Conducting experiments to find the right handle will definitely further our knowledge of the 'human-razor interface'. :)

Remember, it's for SCIENCE. ;)

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.

Tom, try your Wolfman handle on the DB.

CONGRATULATIONS!!

That’s one stunning razor!! :a29: :a29:

Thank you, BigJ!
Tom, try your Wolfman handle on the DB.

Great suggestion Dan, I am going to work on the original handle for a bit, but I will definitely try the Wolf handle. As you know, I love the WRH1.

Thank you, my friend. Had a wonderful Father's Day.

Conducting experiments to find the right handle will definitely further our knowledge of the 'human-razor interface'. :)

Remember, it's for SCIENCE. ;)

Science, so we can pass our knowledge on to the next generation!

Awesome review Thomas. Thanks for sharing with us!

Well, it does sound like a suberb shaver, that thing. And I do like that handle a lot. However if I want to stay a minimalist I need to refrain from joining that modern band wagon...:stuart:

Good find, I have no problems with the handle but then again I'm not a big fan of heavy knurling. I didn't find a difference in shave between the previous version and the 2020 btw.

Well done to find a 2020 DB. Finding your shaver is a special event indeed. Agree 100% on how good this razor is. Pretty much down to this and the CG Lvl 2 these days, with an occasional Blackbird day. It is a thing of beauty - great review.

Good find, I have no problems with the handle but then again I'm not a big fan of heavy knurling. I didn't find a difference in shave between the previous version and the 2020 btw.
Well done to find a 2020 DB. Finding your shaver is a special event indeed. Agree 100% on how good this razor is. Pretty much down to this and the CG Lvl 2 these days, with an occasional Blackbird day. It is a thing of beauty - great review.

Thanks gentlemen.

Three shaves in with the Paradigm DB and I am as impressed on shave 3 using a Wizamet Super Iridium and B&M Lavanille as I was with my first shave using an Astra SP/MdC. The alum on the fingers really did make all the difference in comfort/confidence with this particular handle.

IMG_5458.jpeg

Happy Belated Fathers Day Tom!! I agree completely that the Diamondback 2020 is top 2 in my den. It is unbelievably smooth and I feel really lucky to obtain one. At that time Of purchase I was debating to either get a Charcoal Goods lvl 2 Cooper or DB 2020 ...I’m so glad I made the choice I did. I have had amazing shaves so far and it could be my desert island razor. It’s that good. I also love the handle and the minimalistic look. It’s my personal favorite handle. In my personal opinion the only razor that rivals the Wolfman Wr2 is the Diamondback. Wonderful post and I enjoyed reading your experience.

Ps— Please please dont do the Charcoal Goods SoTd picture on the balcony with the Diamondback, lol haha

Happy Belated Fathers Day Tom!! I agree completely that the Diamondback 2020 is top 2 in my den. It is unbelievably smooth and I feel really lucky to obtain one. At that time Of purchase I was debating to either get a Charcoal Goods lvl 2 Cooper or DB 2020 ...I’m so glad I made the choice I did. I have had amazing shaves so far and it could be my desert island razor. It’s that good. I also love the handle and the minimalistic look. It’s my personal favorite handle. In my personal opinion the only razor that rivals the Wolfman Wr2 is the Diamondback. Wonderful post and I enjoyed reading your experience.

Ps— Please please dont do the Charcoal Goods SoTd picture on the balcony with the Diamondback, lol haha
Thank you, Marius. Ha! For sure no more balcony photos!

Top Bottom