What's new

Paper

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
A recommended paper was discussed at 80 or 90 g.

IIRC, it was a switch from 90g to 85g that made the Quo Vadis journal go from "great" to "crap" IMHO. But that was Clairfontain paper ... my limited experience with the tomoe river stuff is it's much different (feels more like a thin sheet of plastic trying to be like paper) so it has its own issues ... pros and cons ... but most important is: it's different than the stuff we were talking about in the 80g--90g range.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
IIRC, it was a switch from 90g to 85g that made the Quo Vadis journal go from "great" to "crap" IMHO. But that was Clairfontain paper ... my limited experience with the tomoe river stuff is it's much different (feels more like a thin sheet of plastic trying to be like paper) so it has its own issues ... pros and cons ... but most important is: it's different than the stuff we were talking about in the 80g--90g range.
Gotcha makes sense. And also ymmv in all things. Especially on the end product. I’m not writing letters or notes but the tomoe would have applications. I’m always on the hunt for quality products.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I received these “campus” notebooks from kokuyo
They are a little smaller than I pictured although the dimensions were advertised. The paper is very fine. A very nice weight and feel. I used a fp to test. No bleed or ghosting. Could easily use both sides. Each page is lined. And there is an entry for date at top. The page easily tears out with to ripping. These would be great notebooks for a class or a project.
I got some of the IDEA notebooks from Kokuyo (4.25 x 7.25") the paper is very thin, however it is beautiful to write on and does not show any bleed through or feathering of any inks I have used in this book. Use them on my computer for my passwords....a bit too big for my shirt pockets.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I got some of the IDEA notebooks from Kokuyo (4.25 x 7.25") the paper is very thin, however it is beautiful to write on and does not show any bleed through or feathering of any inks I have used in this book. Use them on my computer for my passwords....a bit too big for my shirt pockets.
Nice. I hadn’t seen notebooks in ikea. Of course I haven’t been in one in forever now. These books are 9.8x7”
A somewhat strange size I guess. I like your idea of using notebooks like that for specific organization. These would work for that. Each one isn’t that thick and could easily fit in a file folder too.

the paper has a nice heft. I’ve tried to determine the weight but I’m not finding that info. After more use I m going to get the dot / line version also. Pretty pleased with these. Very fp friendly.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Nice. I hadn’t seen notebooks in ikea. Of course I haven’t been in one in forever now. These books are 9.8x7”
A somewhat strange size I guess. I like your idea of using notebooks like that for specific organization. These would work for that. Each one isn’t that thick and could easily fit in a file folder too.

the paper has a nice heft. I’ve tried to determine the weight but I’m not finding that info. After more use I m going to get the dot / line version also. Pretty pleased with these. Very fp friendly.
The notebooks are called "IDEA" - not Ikea....I think I got them from Goulet pens.

@Rhody Just as an added piece of infor... TR paper also comes in a (harder to find) 63gsm which is not quite as flimsy... I agree that for loose sheets the 52gsm is hard to handle and I only use it for international mail. However the 63gsm paper is used by Endless Notebooks and between being bound and slightly heavier it is great paper to use in that notebook.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
@Rhody Just as an added piece of infor... TR paper also comes in a (harder to find) 63gsm which is not quite as flimsy... I agree that for loose sheets the 52gsm is hard to handle and I only use it for international mail. However the 63gsm paper is used by Endless Notebooks and between being bound and slightly heavier it is great paper to use in that notebook.
Thanks for the info. I’m going to find a use for the 52g or use it around the house. I see that it would be perfect for international correspondence.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I'll give Roaring Springs a shot too ...
... a quick search of Amazon shows "Ampad Gold Fibre" pads available ... with some unhappy reviews.
I ordered some RS on amazon ... and tossed in a small pack of Ampad GF as well, to see if things have changed.

Nope. Ampad still sucks.

RS initial reaction is positive ...

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I ordered some RS on amazon ... and tossed in a small pack of Ampad GF as well, to see if things have changed.

Nope. Ampad still sucks.

RS initial reaction is positive ...
I’m using up the ampad I just got. Not a fan.
What specific RP product did you get?
All things considered, price value made in us I like their products. Mostly the board room notebooks and the slightly green pads with “legal” rule that is essentially narrow rule with a wider left margin.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I’m using up the ampad I just got. Not a fan.
What specific RP product did you get?
All things considered, price value made in us I like their products. Mostly the board room notebooks and the slightly green pads with “legal” rule that is essentially narrow rule with a wider left margin.
16149690087226983039953617067233.jpg

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Initial impression is that the RS gets about a "B" or maybe "B+" as FP paper. It is deceptively flimsy in feel ... like old crappy cheap foolscap they gave us in school for writing exams on. It's thin and flimsy and one fully anticipates that FP ink will be soaked up by this sponge of a paper into a feathery mess ... but no, all but the worst inks are pretty well contained.

OTOH Ampad GF looks and feels like "the real deal" ... hefty, smooth, with a nice thick backing board ... but ... put the wrong ink on it and poof! There's the feathering!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
More on Ampad ...

I dug out one of the old pads.
16150681374316226422343093958419.jpg

The old one has a lighter red top binding. On the back ...
16150682234781311059932271593479.jpg
1615068256901235201103953227548.jpg

The old one is made in Mexico; the new in USA. Old by Pendaflex; new by Tops.

Top Bottom